• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Star Wars: The Clone Wars Season 4

Started by Geekyfanboy, April 13, 2011, 02:16:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryancd

So know we are four episodes in. What are everyone's thoughts? I enjoyed the 3 part arc well enough. It was fun but nothing that really blew me away. I have mixed feelings about last night episode..

[spoiler]At first I was very confused how the Gungans after helping the Republic in the first 3 episodes were suddenly aligning with the Seperatists, even with that mind control mumbo-jumbo. The episode seemed really poor for the first 15min and then suddenly they kill General Tarpals and I was shocked! The tone of the episode did a 180 and became very dark. I preferred the second half and a decent saber fight between Dooku and Anakin. A bit put off that the Gungans captured Grevious so easily, though.[/spoiler]

Bryancd

Quote from: KingIsaacLinksr on October 01, 2011, 12:51:18 PM
Is it just me, or is the Clone Wars this season lacking punch?  I mean, the last four episode plot was this:
[spoiler]
Race A has issue with Race B who the Republic sides with. 
Race B fights a desperate battle in order for Race A to come back on their side.
No one dies.  Except a lot of extras.
Lots of ok action scenes. 
Maybe once, the Republic could lose?  Anymore, you know they are going to win at the end of it and the droid army looks like a joke at this point[/spoiler]

I don't know why, but I'm just not enjoying it like I did in the first four seasons....I think maybe its because it feels a little pointless this time around and this plot point has been used a lot of times in the past three seasons.  Its not terrible, its just nothing special.  Maybe its their over-usage of Anakin and Padme and you know they will never die so that probably ruins a lot of it. 

Thoughts?

King

Just chill and let the season progress and see if it picks up steam.

KingIsaacLinksr

I'm Chill Bryan, I'm chill ;).  I'm just saying, it lacks punch.  Also, I agree with your spoiler tag, this last episode was terribly written in light of the 3 arc episode we just had.  Actually, we shouldn't have had it at all in light of the last arc.  And as such, I was bored because it was full of plot holes.  This is probably the first time I have been bored in the four seasons of the clone wars, and we had the tea-arc last season :P.

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Bryancd

Well, Tim, you did just post this same comment all over FaceBook as well, just sayin'.. ;)

I got the feeling this episode may be out of sequence a bit, even though I know we are to assume we are moving chronologically. It felt out of place in regards to the timeline of the show so far this season, perhaps it was meant for a later air date.

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Bryancd on October 01, 2011, 12:59:30 PM
Well, Tim, you did just post this same comment all over FaceBook as well, just sayin'.. ;)

I got the feeling this episode may be out of sequence a bit, even though I know we are to assume we are moving chronologically. It felt out of place in regards to the timeline of the show so far this season, perhaps it was meant for a later air date.

My Facebook comment was to spark discussion.  I do this from time to time, though success varies.  It was not a raise of arms against Lucas saying CLONE WARS SUCKS1!!11 ;)  :P

Btw, according to my iTunes season pass, this episode happens before the third episode of the previous arc "Prisoners" but after "Gungan attack" episode.  And there is still an episode missing before "Shadow Warrior", the one we just had.  Which further confuses me.  Since Anakin and Padme where no where near Naboo at this time so clearly, chronological order is still not in place this season which makes me wonder why they haven't figured out this problem...

And if I confused you, which I may have, here is what I have in my iTunes library:
1: Water War
2: Gungan Attack
4: Shadow Warrior
5: Prisoners.

King

Rico

I've been enjoying the season so far and I actually enjoyed last night's Gungan heavy episode too.

Geekyfanboy

I'm with Rico.. been loving this season so far.. really enjoyed the 3 episode story arc at the beginning and really liked the latest episode... Jar Jar FTW!!

I'm with Bryan.. when they killed [spoiler]General Tarpals[/spoiler] I was like OMG!!!

jedijeff

I thought the latest episode of the Clone Wars was pretty good. For a Gungan heavy episode, I enjoyed it quite a bit. I think it added some depth to the Gungans.
[spoiler]With this Episode, it explained to me why there was a new Gungan Boss after he appeared in the previous episodes. Guessing Jar Jar would not have been able to impersonate Boss Nass as easily  ;D . Based off wookiepedia site, Boss Lyonie replaced Boss Nass for a few years, so thinking at some point Boss Lyonie will be meeting his demise.
Big episode as well to see Captain/General Tarpals get killed. I know he is not a big character in the Star Wars universe, but it caught my attention to see a Movie Character killed.
Good backstory as well between Count Dooku and Anakin, and how Dooku still powerful enough to best Anakin. Helps build up to Revenge of the Sith and Anakin finally besting Dooku[/spoiler]

ori-STUDFARM

Storywise, I think the 3 part arc was okay. Not great, but it was nice to see the underwater animation.

The last episode seemed too similar to the first story arc and trying to figure out how long after the first story arc that this occured was confusing. We had the Gungan one week acting as saviours for the Republic and the next week they were totally onboard with the seperatist. I feel as though these episodes should have been seperated a little from each other.

One thing I did love was how gritty and dark it has all become. We are seeing close up stabbings through the gut with the camera focusing on victims faces....and this didn't just happen the once in this episode. 

Last season they seemed to save the best for later with a few less enjoyable episodes early on. I think this is what is happening now. Few simple less esignificant stories to ease us back into the universe and then hit us with some major awesome tish later. :)

ori-STUDFARM

Also...isn't Anakin supposed to meet Dooku for the first time in Sith? Been a while since I watched it, but I could have sworn they "meet at last"

Bryancd

Quote from: ori-STUDFARM on October 02, 2011, 04:04:38 AM
Also...isn't Anakin supposed to meet Dooku for the first time in Sith? Been a while since I watched it, but I could have sworn they "meet at last"

Except for that cutting off Anakins hand in ATOC... :)

Rico

Quote from: ori-STUDFARM on October 02, 2011, 04:04:38 AM

As Bryan said above, obviously they met before.  But, "The Clone Wars" plays a bit in it's own sandbox.  General Grievous is the one they really have altered.  They definitely run into him many times in the Clone Wars, but in Revenge of the Sith they seem to be meeting him for the first time.  I try to just accept this as a slightly different version of the events.  Don't even try to make it all fit neat and tidy.

jedijeff

It was General Grievous that Anakin tells that they finally meet, so they are keeping in canon.
[spoiler]This Episode Anakin was unconscious when they did the exchange at the end.[/spoiler]

KingIsaacLinksr

Technically, Anakin is the one who first meets Grievous in Sith.  And so far, the Clone Wars has not altered that fact. 

King

ori-STUDFARM

Like I say, it's been a while since I watched them. I'm getting confused between Grevious and Dooku.

Just ignore me...I'll sit over here and count the hairs on the palm of my hand :P