• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Paramount kills new Trek shows

Started by Geekyfanboy, April 08, 2011, 08:30:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillEagle

With Netflix going to start streaming all the shows soon, for us without the DVD's), maybe that will keep us happy till something new happens.

X

Quote from: Scott on April 23, 2011, 08:51:36 AM
Paramount should just officially help fan projects. They can fund the shows with a little money and maybe manpower to speed up production and put a pre-roll and post-roll add. Maybe let the fan projects sell dvds through official channels and make 50% of the revenue. I dunno. Just a thought that occured.
I would hate that idea. I'm always against fanfic taking the place of official story. Some of these shows can be good, but they are pretty much filmed fanfic that doesn't really fit into the true Trek universe.

Rico

Chris - I don't think Scott was talking about it taking the place of "official Trek" at all.  Just suggesting that maybe they could support it in some way and maybe make some money for both at the same time.

X

Quote from: Rico on April 27, 2011, 06:41:19 AM
Chris - I don't think Scott was talking about it taking the place of "official Trek" at all.  Just suggesting that maybe they could support it in some way and maybe make some money for both at the same time.
Here's the thing with that. As soon as Paramount or someone throws money into a project like that, it would by default become official in some sense. I also don't see why it would make more sense to throw money at fanfic when they don't want a series on the air yet.

If Paramount was to provide money and/or personnel to these projects, it would be money away from a future Trek project. They would also want to see a profit on their investment, so the format of web releases would have to dramatically change or they would be losing money. Most people unfortunately won't buy the cow if they can get the milk for free and at will.

I don't see how it would benefit Paramount in any way, but I do see how it could do more harm than good to the franchise, but that's just my two cents.  

Jobydrone

Consider that any money provided to producers of fan fic videos would obviously be an utter pittance compared to the marketing budget of a blockbuster like the upcoming Star Trek sequel, which could easily total 30 million or more.  Anybody with common sense would see that it would be a great tool to fund and improve these people's creative works and use them at the same time to promote the upcoming film.  Although this wouldn't necessarily be the promotional tool to replace a 60 second commercial during an episode of Glee, you'd still be hitting a huge target demographic for a fraction of the cost.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Feathers

No, I think they wouldn't want to touch it with a barge pole. The moment it becomes 'semi-official' it completely breaks the stated aim of keeping Trek off the air for a bit.

I'm with X on this one.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Jobydrone

Well, I'm just pointing out one potential benefit this kind of action would have for Paramount.  Not to mention the enormous goodwill it would generate with Trek fans.  I don't think it would ever happen, I'm just happy they continue to offer their tacit approval by not mercilessly hounding the producers of these great short films over licensing and copyright issues.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Jobydrone

And the more I think about it, the more I think this idea could work.  Look at the way they promoted the last film: the comic adaptation called Star Trek Countdown that led right into the movie was almost required reading if you wanted a full picture of what was going on in the film.  It could have been even cooler, and hit more potential fans, to have that story told via the internet through the talents of those behind the best of the great fan made Star Trek serials. 

Rico

Well, it's all kind of moot because it will never happen.  Oh, and I just have to point out again it's CBS, not Paramount that will be the one to do a new TV series.  They hold the TV rights - not Paramount.

Obi-Wan Kovary

Here's what should (but probably won't) happen: Paramount and CBS execs need to see the success of The Clone Wars on Cartoon Network, and realize that the best idea would be to do Star Trek like Star Wars.  The latest film was already trying to inject some Star Wars action and pacing into the nerve of the film, why not an animated reboot as well?  Just think of the possibilities...  :luke
Do or do not, there is no try.

stonut

As  much Trek i think going to the year 3000 would be a bit much, i mean fat lazy humans who ever heard of such a thing and the Klingons being diplomatic, by Kahless breath i think not lol.

X

Quote from: Jobydrone4of20 on April 27, 2011, 08:29:05 AM
And the more I think about it, the more I think this idea could work.  Look at the way they promoted the last film: the comic adaptation called Star Trek Countdown that led right into the movie was almost required reading if you wanted a full picture of what was going on in the film.  It could have been even cooler, and hit more potential fans, to have that story told via the internet through the talents of those behind the best of the great fan made Star Trek serials. 
I think that you're also missing that several completed novels in the JJ universe were actually canceled and won't be published so as not to taint the JJ timeline.

I'm going to disagree with you again on this one. I cam imagine someone "attepmting" to bring that to life and I could imagine them totally failing and the damage it would have caused to the movie before it even left the gates.

Imagine if there was something out there that was endorsed by the studio before the movie aired and it totally sucked? They shouldn't take that sort of risk with a franchise that's just regaining it's feet and being profitable and widely accepted again.

I think that we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I think the possible harm far outweighs the possible good. It also sets a very bad precedent on the nature of fan endeavors not to mention the lack of quality control in what is put out on the web.

I think Paramount is doing their best by allowing their works to be used in the fan stuff, which they aren't legally required to do. That should be the extent and the limit of their involvement IMHO.

turtlesrock

Quote from: Obi-Wan Kovary on April 27, 2011, 10:20:07 AM
Here's what should (but probably won't) happen: Paramount and CBS execs need to see the success of The Clone Wars on Cartoon Network, and realize that the best idea would be to do Star Trek like Star Wars.  The latest film was already trying to inject some Star Wars action and pacing into the nerve of the film, why not an animated reboot as well?  Just think of the possibilities...  :luke
that would be total gold! re-establish star trek as an animated series...
well i guess they did that a while ago... but then they didn't have the TNG people.
i think a TNG cartoon would be nice :)

WillEagle

If they ever did another cartoon series I bet it would be based on the TOS crew or the JJ universe crew. Of course a cartoon set in the TNG time would not "mess up" the JJ timeline. They could also pull stories from DS9 & Voyager.

Rico

Quote from: Obi-Wan Kovary on April 27, 2011, 10:20:07 AM
Here's what should (but probably won't) happen: Paramount and CBS execs need to see the success of The Clone Wars on Cartoon Network, and realize that the best idea would be to do Star Trek like Star Wars.  The latest film was already trying to inject some Star Wars action and pacing into the nerve of the film, why not an animated reboot as well?  Just think of the possibilities...  :luke

A few years ago, they were actually working on an official sanctioned animated series for the web to come out via www.startrek.com.  But soon after, the website personnel got dumped and it didn't go anywhere.  I'll find a link for you.

Here you go:
http://zeroroom.squarespace.com/