• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Should I feel bad that I really like the latest Star Trek movie? Part 1

Started by Rhen, September 15, 2010, 06:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhen

Actor's... great

Story... fun as all heck

Special effects... awesome

Enterprise... cool, cool, cool

Sorry everyone but I am new to the forums so I didn't get to discuss this movie when it came out. I purchased the DVD right after it was released and I have watched it every week since. So I am going to give you (those who chose to read this) my two cents on each of these "topics" and then a brief comment as to why I don't feel bad about loving the new betaverse.

ACTORS;

Pike: Bruce Greenwood always brings a dignity to any movie he is in. Another good example of this is "The Core". He is believable in serious leadership type roles. The voice of command in his delivery and acting put him as one of my favorite characters in this movie.

Spock: Zachary Quinto was the perfect choice for a young Spock. While I loved Leonard Nimoy, Zach has a much greater acting range. His angry performance when Kirk was trying to provoke him was simply the best. We all loved him as the bad guy in "Heroes", now we have the chance to experience his acting all over again in universe of Star Trek.

Bones: Karl Urban, I thought this guy was freaking great in "The Chronicles of Riddick" and he sure doesn't disappoint here. The new Bones is funny, cantankerous and very much the character that would make DeForest Kelly proud. I also like the new origin for the name "Bones"; it has more personality to it. The new Bones is my hands down favorite new character in this movie.

Scotty: Simon Pegg is funny and I generally like him in any movie he is in. I even liked him in this movie. However, I am not exactly happy with the overt transformation of Scotty into the comic relief. Don't get me wrong. I really enjoyed Scotty in this movie. The scene where he beams "three people from two targets onto one pad" was funny as heck and exactly what Scotty would get excited over. I am just not sure I like him being the set as the comic relief.

Sulu: John Cho is a good actor and was another perfect choice by Abrams (or who ever picked him). I look forward to seeing him in the future movies.

Captain James T. Kirk: Chris Pine has the same over the top acting that Bill showed us in the original Star Trek. Ok, Chris was a bit less animated than Bill but he still has the large facial expressions, loud expressive voice and larger than life mannerisms. Again, Chris is a darn fine choice for Kirk.

I don't have much to say about the other actors. While Uhura and Chekov were very good they just didn't jump out to me as anything special. I suppose they might be better choices for them but there could have also been worse.

I am going to write each section while viewing the movie each week so I don't forget to comment on the best bits.

I would really enjoy your comments but before you write remember this; Very seldom, or never as I can recall, do scifi fans get to re-experience a universe they love in a new way. It's our beloved characters, ships and planets brought back with fresh new stories. We get two looks at the Star Trek universe. What a joy! We can love the original series for all that it means to us but we also get to enjoy it again with all additions that modern film making can add. The "betaverse" gives the story a new beginning and doesn't hamper the writers. They are free to add wonders we cannot imagine and boldly go again where no man has gone before.

moyer777

Should you feel bad!  NO, of course not.  Most of us completely dig it.  I have it on my ipod touch, blu ray and DVD!  heehehehe!  I watch it every couple of weeks as well. 

I agree with most everything you wrote.  It was a great movie, stunning actualy.  Pun intended. 

:)

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

davekill

I'm with you, I liked it too - but I don't think you can compare the two Spocks.

Spock:"I am what I am Leila, and if there are self-made purgatories, then we all have to live in them."

sheldor

Quote from: Rhen on September 15, 2010, 06:47:18 PM

Actor's... great

Story... fun as all heck

Special effects... awesome

Enterprise... cool, cool, cool

Sorry everyone but I am new to the forums so I didn't get to discuss this movie when it came out. I purchased the DVD right after it was released and I have watched it every week since. So I am going to give you (those who chose to read this) my two cents on each of these "topics" and then a brief comment as to why I don't feel bad about loving the new betaverse.

ACTORS;

Pike: Bruce Greenwood always brings a dignity to any movie he is in. Another good example of this is "The Core". He is believable in serious leadership type roles. The voice of command in his delivery and acting put him as one of my favorite characters in this movie.

Spock: Zachary Quinto was the perfect choice for a young Spock. While I loved Leonard Nimoy, Zach has a much greater acting range. His angry performance when Kirk was trying to provoke him was simply the best. We all loved him as the bad guy in "Heroes", now we have the chance to experience his acting all over again in universe of Star Trek.

Bones: Karl Urban, I thought this guy was freaking great in "The Chronicles of Riddick" and he sure doesn't disappoint here. The new Bones is funny, cantankerous and very much the character that would make DeForest Kelly proud. I also like the new origin for the name "Bones"; it has more personality to it. The new Bones is my hands down favorite new character in this movie.

Scotty: Simon Pegg is funny and I generally like him in any movie he is in. I even liked him in this movie. However, I am not exactly happy with the overt transformation of Scotty into the comic relief. Don't get me wrong. I really enjoyed Scotty in this movie. The scene where he beams "three people from two targets onto one pad" was funny as heck and exactly what Scotty would get excited over. I am just not sure I like him being the set as the comic relief.

Sulu: John Cho is a good actor and was another perfect choice by Abrams (or who ever picked him). I look forward to seeing him in the future movies.

Captain James T. Kirk: Chris Pine has the same over the top acting that Bill showed us in the original Star Trek. Ok, Chris was a bit less animated than Bill but he still has the large facial expressions, loud expressive voice and larger than life mannerisms. Again, Chris is a darn fine choice for Kirk.

I don't have much to say about the other actors. While Uhura and Chekov were very good they just didn't jump out to me as anything special. I suppose they might be better choices for them but there could have also been worse.

I am going to write each section while viewing the movie each week so I don't forget to comment on the best bits.

I would really enjoy your comments but before you write remember this; Very seldom, or never as I can recall, do scifi fans get to re-experience a universe they love in a new way. It's our beloved characters, ships and planets brought back with fresh new stories. We get two looks at the Star Trek universe. What a joy! We can love the original series for all that it means to us but we also get to enjoy it again with all additions that modern film making can add. The "betaverse" gives the story a new beginning and doesn't hamper the writers. They are free to add wonders we cannot imagine and boldly go again where no man has gone before.

Star Trek?  There was a movie?

Ktrek

I saw Star Trek four times in the theater and bought the Blu-Ray the day it was released. I own the movie soundtrack also but even so I am not so huge a fan to watch the film once a week. I have probably watched it on Blu-ray maybe four times. Admittedly that is quite a few viewings for a film a little over a year old. Right now I think I have seen it enough for awhile though.

There are plenty of enjoyable moments in the film and also some things I could have done without. I think the best thing is that Abrams breathed new life into a franchise I have loved most of my life and now there are high expectations for the 2012 film. Let's hope he doesn't let us down.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

loutzee

Has a ye old trek fan the day before all this newfangled trek,I was a little worried about the new film,
But my fear was needless ,loved the new film was as fresh as a spray febreze.
I thought Karl Urban was great as Bones and should of had more praise sent his way.
for me Simon Pegg was the week link,just not right as Scotty(He was brilliant in Spaced)
I agree scotty should not be comic relief.
"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching."

Feathers

Quote from: loutzee on September 15, 2010, 10:46:05 PM
Has a ye old trek fan the day before all this newfangled trek,I was a little worried about the new film,
But my fear was needless ,loved the new film was as fresh as a spray febreze.
I thought Karl Urban was great as Bones and should of had more praise sent his way.
for me Simon Pegg was the week link,just not right as Scotty(He was brilliant in Spaced)
I agree scotty should not be comic relief.

Fully agree. For me Pegg was the weak link for the same reasons. Not for his acting per se but for the meterial he was given to play with. Equally, had the role been written a little more seriously, would he have been the right actor for the job?

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

orangegorn

No, you should not feel bad at all.  I'm happy you've been enjoying the new Star Trek.  The intention was to grab old and new fans, and the mission was accomplished, I think.   Personally, my favorite part was in the beginning seeing the USS Kelvin with Capt. Richard Robau and Lt. George Kirk.  Now that is unexplored territory, and I would have loved a film with a new ship and crew like that!  

Perhaps Rhen's enthusiasm will rub off on me!  *rub rub*  ;)

Dangelus

It's a funny film in as much as as a standalone movie it is great but you have to suspend your disbelief when trying to associate it with previous Trek. I don't know why they went out of their way to deny it is a reboot because that description makes the most sense to me.

wraith1701

What's there to feel bad about? It was a good, solid movie and breathed new life into a good, solid sci-fi property.

I'm sending out positive karma to everyone involved in the project. :)

Bryancd

Quote from: davekill on September 15, 2010, 08:17:59 PM
I'm with you, I liked it too - but I don't think you can compare the two Spocks.

Spock:"I am what I am Leila, and if there are self-made purgatories, then we all have to live in them."

Yeah, I think you make some valid points, however I would disagree that Quinto has bigger acting chops than Nimoy.

Rico

Glad you liked it.  I enjoyed it a lot too - and still do.  For me it's like a new phase of Trek.  I try very hard to not compare it to other films in the series, the TV shows, or compare actors.  I feel it was basically the right Trek film to make at the right time.  Both my sons and Lynn enjoyed it too (not really big Trek fans like me).  So that tells me they did it right.  I still love all the past Trek stuff and can enjoy the new too.  Just like I love "Star Wars" and can enjoy other Sci-Fi besides Trek.  I never feel you have to be "exclusive" when it comes to things like this.  Anyway, glad to hear your thoughts.  Keep up the great posts.

turtlesrock

i don't think you should feel bad. it's my 3rd favorite movie of all time; which is saying something.
the visual effects are off the hook :o
the plot is confusing  ???(just like the star trek we know and love)
[spoiler]we see 2 spocks at the same time :vulcan (for spock fans everywhere, this is awesome!)[/spoiler]
what's not to like?
sure it is kinda prequel-y (which can add some confusion, while at the same time clear up a lot of guesswork we did before)
and there was a use of lens flare (a HUGE use of lens flare)
but overall i thought it was pretty good. ;D