• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Someone wants to buy my "Attic,..." domain

Started by Rico, January 25, 2011, 01:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jedijeff

If you are not attached to that domain name, and you can make a nice profit off of it, I would go for it. You probably could think of another suitable domain name, and come away with a nice little profit. Maybe put it towards a cool collectible :)

billybob476

I suggest "Closet of my Thoughts" as a new name :)

Rico

moyer777

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

KingIsaacLinksr

A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

RickPeete

There is a service around (maybe from Network Solutions) that you can submit a domain name and they will tell you an estimate of its value (based upon exactly what I have no idea).

If it is a free service, maybe you can find out what the domain is worth and use that in your negotiations.

Typically, the shorter and more brand-friendly the domain name is, the more it is worth.  So witbout knowing what the guy wants to use it for, it makes it harder for you to place a value upon it.

I know that when my company makes an offer for a domain, we usually do it through a third party in order to hide the fact that a billion dollar company wants to make the purchase.  We don't want to give the seller the idea that they are dealing with a buyer with deep pcokets.

Feathers

Quote from: moyer777 on January 31, 2011, 03:52:58 PM
or thingsthatrollaroundinmybrain.com   or whattheheckwasithinking.com or lifeistoofuntowasteitsoillsharewhatsonmymind.com

I like the last one best. Have you registered it yet? (If all it's going to do is host an iTunes feed, the length of the URL probably doesn't matter...except to people like me who have to manual enter it because they don't take everything through iTunes ;))

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Rico

Well, I thought maybe they had given up.  But I got this email a short time ago....

Domain: ATTICOFMYMIND.COM
Claim ID: 382687

Dear Rick Dostie,

Thank you for your interest in the Go Daddy® Domain Buy Service. As with any negotiations, there needs to be a starting point for opening communications. We understand that you may feel that the initial offer was below your market value for the domain name ATTICOFMYMIND.COM.

For us to continue to work on negotiating on behalf of both parties in good faith, we would appreciate it if you could provide us with a specific counter-offer range to relay to our client.

If you have any questions about the Domain Buy Service process, please respond to this email or contact the Domain Buy Service team at (480) 366-3303, Monday-Friday 6:30am-5:30pm and Saturday-Sunday 7am-4pm, Arizona time.

Sincerely,

Go Daddy Domain Buy Service

So now I guess I maybe should give them a $$$ range.  Suggestions??  :)

billybob476

Hmm...well I guess the question is how much is the domain worth to you? Keep in mind they may also buy up the .net .org and other variations.

Feathers

It would be interesting to see how high 'they' (whoever they are) are prepared to go. Given your Attic podcast schedule recently, the domain probably looks pretty dormant to the outside world so (if they look at that sort of thing) some sort of counter offer may be a surprise.

I've no idea what it's worth but if you could recover the costs of ownership over the years you've had it, it may be worth considering.

It really depends on whether you're prepared to go through the pain of potentially renaming the podcast and getting iTunes etc to accept it (best to assume that the other 'attic' domains will also have gone as Joe suggests). Changing domain names will also give a real headache to anyone (like me) who doesn't subscribe directly through iTunes - if you wanted to keep those listeners subscribed then (at the very least) you'll need to put a show on the feed for a good period before it moves anywhere else.

It all sounds quite painful to me...so up the price to compensate ;)

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Bromptonboy

I agree that if you can make a few $'s you should do it.  After all, it may be a bit of trouble to get a new domain rigged up - but we will mostly likely all follow you over to the new name.  Maybe triple their original offer as a starting point?
Pete

Rico

Honestly, I'm thinking at least $1000.  May sound steep, but I do like the name quite a bit.  I should probably shoot them back an email.  We'll see if I scare them off.  ;)

P.S.  Maybe I should Google a bit and see if some new movie or book or something is coming with this name!

billybob476

Rico

billybob476

Here's a relevant thread over on Extralife, the OP asks if Scott ever looked into buying extralife.com, apparently the owner wants 60K!

http://forum.myextralife.com/topic/36179-myextralife-vs-extralife/page__pid__579223