• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Out of town (10/24 - 10/29)

Started by Rico, October 21, 2010, 11:16:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Next week I will be even more out of town than normal.  Heading to a seminar near St. Louis for the week with another guy from the lab.  We have to leave about midday on this coming Sunday and will be back Friday evening.  Now, I should be able to get the podcast up before I go but my time on the forum will be pretty limited when I'm gone next week.  I'm trying to work out some form of portable computing to take with me.  Daily Pics might cease for those few days too.  Anyway, just wanted to give you all a heads up.  Ahh, back to the hotel life.    ::)

Feathers

The occasional trip can be fun :)

I hope you get better WiFi in the hotel than I had the other week. I was exclusively on 3G in the evenings which was fine but made me a little wary of my data plan limits.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Rico

Quote from: Feathers on October 21, 2010, 11:18:38 AM
The occasional trip can be fun :)

I hope you get better WiFi in the hotel than I had the other week. I was exclusively on 3G in the evenings which was fine but made me a little wary of my data plan limits.

I don't do WiFi unless I have no choice.  Ethernet jack and good old wire.  Of course, I need to get this old laptop repaired first.  ;)

Feathers

OK. The concept of hotel Ethernet isn't one I've ever come across. Maybe it's the cheap places I have to stay!

Rico

Quote from: Feathers on October 21, 2010, 12:21:33 PM
OK. The concept of hotel Ethernet isn't one I've ever come across. Maybe it's the cheap places I have to stay!

Common here since they can sometimes piggyback it into the old phone system.  They even had other ethernet jacks when I was in Germany and Taiwan.  Oh, we are staying at a pretty cheap place.  Nothing fancy at all.

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: Rico on October 21, 2010, 12:30:44 PM

Common here since they can sometimes piggyback it into the old phone system.  They even had other ethernet jacks when I was in Germany and Taiwan.  Oh, we are staying at a pretty cheap place.  Nothing fancy at all.

Funny you say that in all the hotels I stayed while on our 17 days Pac. Northwest trip not a single place had ethernet plugs.. they all switched over to wifi.

Rico

Quote from: Geekyfanboy on October 21, 2010, 01:12:10 PM

Funny you say that in all the hotels I stayed while on our 17 days Pac. Northwest trip not a single place had ethernet plugs.. they all switched over to wifi.

Switched over to WiFi?  I would think they never had ethernet wired up then.  I mean if the wiring is in place, why take it out?

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: Rico on October 21, 2010, 02:01:11 PM
Quote from: Geekyfanboy on October 21, 2010, 01:12:10 PM

Switched over to WiFi?  I would think they never had ethernet wired up then.  I mean if the wiring is in place, why take it out?

No they have  because I've stayed in some of the same hotels before when they had ethernet.

Rico

I'll be heading out at about noon today (in about 2 hours).  Suppose to take about 7 hours to drive to the hotel.  I'll try and get online this evening after I check in, etc. 

Rico

For those interested, this is where I'm going today for the week.

Feathers

Hey! You're going through Sringfield! Say hi to Homer for us ;)

I hope the trip goes well (and safely)

Bromptonboy

Wow, close to Ft. Leonard Wood.  I spent a few days there when I was in the Army.  Brings back memories.
Pete

jonno8339

In life all you need to be happy is a roof over your head, a bottle of wine and a good episode of Star Trek....everything else is a bonus.

Rico

Made it fine.  Pretty easy drive.  Lots of open farms and country.  I think I want to buy like 1/4 of this state.  LOL!