• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Nimoy has emergency surgery

Started by Rico, October 22, 2010, 06:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Some breaking news, but all is ok now with Leonard....

Here is breaking news Friday morning that Star Trek icon Leonard Nimoy is currently in the hospital after having emergency surgery. The actor was scheduled for a events this weekend in Chicago and Long Beach, but had to cancel. Reports indicate he is recovering well.

Nimoy "recovering beautifully"

Leonard Nimoy, Star Trek's original Spock, was scheduled to appear today at the Creation Star Trek convention in Chicago and at a special "Evening With Leonard Nimoy" on Saturday in Long Beach, Ca. However this morning messages were posted at both the Creation  and Carpenter Performing Arts Center websites that the 79 year-old actor's appearances were cancelled. Both sites offer the following statement:

Mr. Nimoy had minor benign abdominal surgery but is recovering beautifully. He thanks you for all the get well wishes and he's doing great.

TMZ is also reporting that Nimoy had to cancel an event last night at the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art, who are showing Nimoy's "Secret Selves" photography exhibit.

For those attending the Chicago convention today, Armin Shimerman (Quark) will be filling in on stage for Mr. Nimoy. Creation has also announced they will be offering refunds for those with autograph and photo tickets for Mr. Nimoy. And the Carpenter Performing Arts Center is planning to reschedule the sold-out "Evening With Leonard Nimoy" and will notify ticket holders and post updates on their Nimoy page.

TreksInTeaching

The only bad part is that they would not refund the 60 dollar ticket for Fridays Star Trek convention,  I did not mind seeing Armin but he is available Saturday when my son and I are going.  Tickets were only 40 dollars for that day.  They are crediting me the 80 dollars for the photo luckily though.  I really feel bad for the guy that flew in from Sydney  just to see him today.
Trek gets better and better the more it is shared.

Rico

Things happen.  Just about every con I've ever been to has had last minute changes in appearances.  I'm just happy Leonard is ok.

TreksInTeaching

Very true, hard to get a chance to see him otherwise.  As a whole was still a fun experience.  I have not seen much DS9 though.  Going to send you an audio of the Enterprise Blues Band, not sure if the quality will work for the show though.  They signed on for the convention next year, and with it being 45 years I hope Leonard might make another appearance :-).
Trek gets better and better the more it is shared.