Star Trek XI - spoilers!

Started by spidey27, July 22, 2006, 05:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryancd

moyer777

Quote from: Bryancd on April 22, 2009, 10:37:03 AM
I bought a new phaser!
Well, don't leave us hanging!  Picture please!

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Bryancd

Rico

Dangelus

I know a guy from my company who got a complimentary ticket and WENT to the UK Premiere!!

I'll have to verbally abuse him the next time I speak to him!   ;)

Feathers

I entered a compeition for tickets but at £70 a pop they were slightly too much to fork out for. (My wife laughed when I suggested it and we all know what that means!)

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Bryancd

Rico

Got my tickets!  May 7th, 7pm. NCC-1701.  No bloody A, B, C, or D!

billybob476

Bryancd

Well, now that we are so close to the film finally coming out, some last thoughts from me. I can't wait to see it and hopefully my wife will come too. I think it will be the highest grossing Star Trek film ever, although I don't think that is a good indication of it's quality. No Star Trek film has preformed well since the mid to late 80's, so that analogy needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Film distribution was MUCH different when the best of the Trek films came out. I think the movie looks  great. My only issue around here is that even though it looks exciting and fun, really no one esle besides me has something critical to say? I find that amazing. Surely there has to be at least one thing that some of you Trek fans have an issue with, even if it's just minor? On the RPF, there is a much more balanced discussion of the film, here it's seem's to be all praise with zero comments to the contrary. Really? There must be something that bugs you, nothing is perfect. I would be curious to hear those honest thoughts and then once the film  is released, let's see how they did!

X

Quote from: Bryancd on April 23, 2009, 05:53:56 PM
Well, now that we are so close to the film finally coming out, some last thoughts from me. I can't wait to see it and hopefully my wife will come too. I think it will be the highest grossing Star Trek film ever, although I don't think that is a good indication of it's quality. No Star Trek film has preformed well since the mid to late 80's, so that analogy needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Film distribution was MUCH different when the best of the Trek films came out. I think the movie looks  great. My only issue around here is that even though it looks exciting and fun, really no one esle besides me has something critical to say? I find that amazing. Surely there has to be at least one thing that some of you Trek fans have an issue with, even if it's just minor? On the RPF, there is a much more balanced discussion of the film, here it's seem's to be all praise with zero comments to the contrary. Really? There must be something that bugs you, nothing is perfect. I would be curious to hear those honest thoughts and then once the film  is released, let's see how they did!
I'm glad you asked. My honest answer is that I have absolutely zero complaints. I haven't seen the movie. I can't make a call on something I might not like if I don't understand the context.

Having listened to a detailed spoiler show, I think that I will love the movie and it completely explains why things might seem a bit different. That being said, I can't say anything bad about it. That would be trying to judge a book by it's cover or a master piece painting if I was only looking at the brushes and paints used.

If the things that I have heard are true, the things that I have seen on tv and stills make perfect sense to me. I'm going in with an open mind and not looking to ruin my enjoyment of the movie by attempting to find something wrong with it before it begins.

Wait ... there is one thing that bugs me. I would have like to see it Christmas.

Other than that, we all know that time travel is involved and when you change time, other things can change. Like the look of the ships and phasers. I can get behind that concept.

Rico

I'm simply happy it's looking like we will be getting a pretty good, new Trek film to enjoy.  Ultimately that is the thing that counts most.

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Bryancd on April 23, 2009, 05:53:56 PM

Well, a good question.  Why haven't many tirade on it yet?  Well, lets face it, we haven't seen it yet.  I'm pretty sure when Nemesis was coming out that negativity wasn't all that high until people saw it.  Lets face it, we can't judge a book by its cover.  Usually makes us look more foolish when we see it and then take our word back.  (I.E. Indy 4....)

At least, that's why I'm not concerned yet.  I'll wait till I've seen it before I say anything.

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Bryancd

But surely from the parts we have seen, there has to be some issue's. This is so different and I find it hard to believe that as Trek fans, there is nothing you have seen that may make you think it looks like a cool movie BUT makes you feel a bit off when it comes to Trek. Cool movie? Sure. But there seems to be an almost pathological desire to avoid any critical comments.

X

Quote from: Bryancd on April 23, 2009, 07:21:20 PM
But surely from the parts we have seen, there has to be some issue's. This is so different and I find it hard to believe that as Trek fans, there is nothing you have seen that may make you think it looks like a cool movie BUT makes you feel a bit off when it comes to Trek. Cool movie? Sure. But there seems to be an almost pathological desire to avoid any critical comments.
I really don't have any critical comments. Time travel + butterfly effect = new look.

That makes sense to me. It's going to look different because it is different. Kirk is acting different because he is different. Just from the trailers, we get that there was a HUGE change in Kirk's life. Not to mention the ripple effects from that.