• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Health Insurance

Started by moyer777, August 28, 2010, 08:26:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moyer777

hey everybody!  I got a letter in the mail from my health insurance company raising my rates yet again.  Geez! There isn't much I can do about it, but between Amy and I it will be over 1500 dollars a year MORE!  So, I can guess I need to look for a more affordable place.

Question:  Does anyone know of an affordable health insurance plans with perscription coverage?

What do you have?

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Geekyfanboy

I have Anthem.. use to be Blue Cross.. but they are the ones raising their rates.. they tried to raise rates 40% earlier this year but Obama said no way!!! but they did allow them to raise them something like 19%. Plus just found out, now that I'm turning 40 next month my rates will go up again because I'm in a different age bracket now.. so I'm getting a $39 dollars raise in my rates and then later a 19% raise in rates... Makes me want to give up health insurance all together.

moyer777

yeah, I'm turning 45 and not only does my premium go up another $50 but I get a $55 dollar increase as well.   

If I didn't have diabetes, I would try something different.  It's so expensive!  Amy's will go up too.

Rico

It's really a sad thing.  For most when you are younger you barely need any health care, but you still pay for it for many years.  Then when you might start to need it more, they raise the costs.  Lynn's usually had pretty good health coverage being a teacher, but the plan has been getting worse over recent years.  Anyway, sorry I don't know of any good answers or private plans out there. 

ElfManDan

I'm nervous about finish up my degree this year cause soon as I'm out of college I get kicked off the family insurance plan and can't say I'll be able to find a job strait away to pay for insurance.

Rico

Quote from: Sheppard on August 28, 2010, 12:01:12 PM
I'm nervous about finish up my degree this year cause soon as I'm out of college I get kicked off the family insurance plan and can't say I'll be able to find a job strait away to pay for insurance.

They've changed some rules so you should be able to stay on your family's insurance for awhile.  Check into it.

Bromptonboy

Yeah, the only 'affordable' way is through some sort of Group plan usually - via an employer.  Our coverage has been dropping while our costs have been going up.  When you have to buy your own plan - it is brutal.  You have too long of a wait for the government plans.

To our UK brethren - what do you think of your National Health coverage?
Pete

ElfManDan

Quote from: Rico on August 28, 2010, 01:11:41 PM
Quote from: Sheppard on August 28, 2010, 12:01:12 PM

They've changed some rules so you should be able to stay on your family's insurance for awhile.  Check into it.

Apparently that letter just came yesterday and my parents told me that I can stay on till I'm 26 (five minutes ago). My parents have been grilling me about it for weeks now how I needed to start worrying about it cause they weren't sure about the 26 thing. So I guess I'll be alright for a while. I'm really glad of that too cause I kinda doubt I could get a good lowish price on insurance for myself.

Feathers

Quote from: Bromptonboy on August 28, 2010, 02:16:48 PM
Yeah, the only 'affordable' way is through some sort of Group plan usually - via an employer.  Our coverage has been dropping while our costs have been going up.  When you have to buy your own plan - it is brutal.  You have too long of a wait for the government plans.

To our UK brethren - what do you think of your National Health coverage?

Personally, I can't fault it but there are stories of people in high risk brackets with a need for expensive drugs having more problems. There's apparently a bit of a regional lottery over what you can and can't get on prescription in different areas (due to the willingness of the authority to pay) but I've never come across it.

We've had various visits to A&E (probably ER to you US folks) with the children over recent years and always been well enough treated and looked after. Certainly the problems have been sorted out.

The cover is not as good as it once was, though. Dentistry, prescriptions and eye tests aren't free for adults any more (haven't been for years) and although the costs aren't huge I suspect that if you get through a lot of prescriptions in a year the bill woud soon mount up.

When all's said and done, I know that if I'm in a car accident I'll be treated by someone who checks my medical records before my wallet. (But to put the ballancing point, they jolly well ought to since I've been making National Insurance payments for the past twenty years - 'free at the point of use' isn't the same as 'free')

I hope you find something that suits, Rick. Not much advice from me I'm afraid.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

billybob476

I know my brother was initially with Blue Cross, now he gets his coverage though work, not sure of the provider though. It's very sad that basic health care has to cost you guys so much. Like Mike, we have to pay for dental and optical once we're adults but any doctor / hospital visits are covered by our health care system.

moyer777

well I spoke to my insurance company, Regence Blueshield, and they claim it's only going up a total of $60 per month.  I'll believe that when I get the bill.  ;)

Feathers

Quote from: moyer777 on September 08, 2010, 01:07:23 PM
well I spoke to my insurance company, Regence Blueshield, and they claim it's only going up a total of $60 per month.  I'll believe that when I get the bill.  ;)

Yeah...good luck with that :(

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Blackride

Most of the insurance companies just announced that they are raising rates next year. o joy.
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

Rico

Quote from: Blackride on September 08, 2010, 03:57:00 PM
Most of the insurance companies just announced that they are raising rates next year. o joy.

Do they ever NOT raise their rates??

Bryancd

Yeah, health insurance is a huge mess. Jamie and I are lucky in so far as we both have group options, we use mine, and have amazing coverage. I pay for the best available but within reason as we are both so healthy through United Health. I appreciate the efforts at health care reform debate we have had this past year, but the timing is really lousy. Business have no idea what their costs are going to be under the new plans passed by Congress so you know what they don't do? Hire people.