• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Lost Voyages of the Reimagined Star Trek Universe

Started by beer, August 16, 2010, 03:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beer

Sorry if this was covered. I poked around the trek and book forums a bit but didn't see anything. Found this page today - can't remember how :/

"The Star Trek universe as reimagined by JJ Abrams and his creative team was originally supposed to continue this summer in the form of four novels set in that timeline, but the publisher abruptly decided not to go forward with them."

This page describes those books:

earthsmightiest.com/fansites/startrek/news/?a=7506

Ktrek

It turns out that it was not the publishers decision but was Abrams people who put a stop to it. They decided they didn't want anything published post movie and so now they are allowing three academy books to be published this fall that are considered "young adult" series novels, which probably means they won't be any good. I feel bad for the authros who wrote the original four books becuase it seems like they won't ever see the light of day now. I was curious as to what they would do and how they would effectively write them in the Abramsverse so that they seemed like they were in the new timeline. Who knows though...maybe in ten years after Abrams and company are finished with their version of Trek Pocket Books may get to release them. I have my doubts though.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Rico

Seems strange.  I mean don't they have these things worked out before the writing begins (contracts?)?  I wonder if they still got paid for their work?  It seems after only one film it might have been a bit quick to start pumping out novels. 

billybob476

Also I'd argue that saying the academy books will not be good simply because they are YA novels is a little short sighted.

Ktrek

Quote from: Rico on August 17, 2010, 07:13:58 AM
Seems strange.  I mean don't they have these things worked out before the writing begins (contracts?)?  I wonder if they still got paid for their work?  It seems after only one film it might have been a bit quick to start pumping out novels.  

The authors were paid under contracts but of course they will now get no residuals if sales passed the contract agreement.

Quote from: billybob476 on August 17, 2010, 08:09:45 AM
Also I'd argue that saying the academy books will not be good simply because they are YA novels is a little short sighted.

I'm only basing my opinion about  the new books on other YA projects Pocket Books has produced in the past and those have for the most part been simply awful in comparison to their regular novel line. Obviously I won't be able to tell for sure until the new books come out but having collected every Star Trek book released in the last 20 years I'm pretty sure these will be recyclable.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine