• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

A few changes...

Started by Rico, July 23, 2010, 06:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feathers

I really like the new layout, colours of names and all the other little bits and pieces. Well done!

One problem I see on all platforms at the moment is an overlap of the third column onto the second in the Modify Message window when you start to reduce the window size.

I've attached an image.

Edit: OK, I haven't seeing as it doesn't seem to want me to.

Edit Edit: Got there! FWIW the members list page also does the same sort of thing.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Rico

I'll have to look into this later on Mike.  I'm on sad, old IE 6 here at work.  A few questions:

- Please make sure whatever browser you are using has had all of it's cache deleted.  I made a TON of changes over the weekend.  So make sure you are not still seeing some old code.  For example, the member's listing page should not show either the left or right column at all by default now.

- Please list the resolution you are viewing things in.  If this issue is still all on your phone, I doubt I can do a lot about it.  The new format, sizing, etc. is not optimized for mobile use.  I'm noticing it has a few little issues even on this low res. monitor at work.

But, I'll keep checking things and tweaking.  I'm still not done.  It's a long process.

Feathers

I do see it on the phone but that's irrelevant since I'll turn that column off.

The screenshot above is from IE8 at work and I see the same on Firefox 3.5.7 (which I'm using now). Given that I only configured this browser ten minutes ago, there's no caching involved here.

Resolution is slightly complex since I'm using a dual-monitor setup laptop. We're talking 1280x800 and 1280x1024 which is the maximum this thing can drive.

Looks like IE6 (which we also have here) clips the end of the smilies and text entry box while IE8/Firefox tries to display everything overlaid on top of one another.

I'm not that big a fan of the clipping either but it looks better than the overlaid version.

I should add that this is only an issue because I'm unwilling to run this full screen in the office. If it's not a simple switch somewhere then don't spend too much time on it.

Rico

Ok, good to know.  I did notice the clipping (when posting messages too) on this low res. monitor at work.  I'll see what I can do.

P.S.  The members list though should not show the left or right columns. 

Feathers

Quote from: Rico on July 26, 2010, 06:14:40 AM
Ok, good to know.  I did notice the clipping (when posting messages too) on this low res. monitor at work.  I'll see what I can do.

P.S.  The members list though should not show the left or right columns. 

Sorry, no it doesn't show the columns but it does overflow the right border when the window is compressed too far.

billybob476

The only thing I'd say is it would be nice if the "Users Online" list could be changed to a comma-delimited list instead of a more vertical list it would give us more vertical space. When there are a lot of people logged in at once. Right now with 5 people online it takes up  a little over 200 vertical pixels. If we have 10 or 15 people it would take up a lot of the initially viewable page.

Rico

Quote from: billybob476 on July 26, 2010, 06:35:07 AM
The only thing I'd say is it would be nice if the "Users Online" list could be changed to a comma-delimited list instead of a more vertical list it would give us more vertical space. When there are a lot of people logged in at once. Right now with 5 people online it takes up  a little over 200 vertical pixels. If we have 10 or 15 people it would take up a lot of the initially viewable page.

Completely agree Joe.  I'm actually still working on that.  I made a post with the Simple Portal folks to get some custom code help to do that.  For now, just collapse the members online list when not using it.  I may just drop it until I can get the right code setup.  

- Mike - when I look at the members listing I don't see it cut off that way.  But I'll check it more later on.

P.S.  Thanks for the comments guys.  I still have more to do and want to tighten things up a bit.  I'm not happy with the name colors yet either.  Trying to find colors that look ok both on light and dark backgrounds.  I'm also toying with moving the forum to SMF 2.0.  But I have to think on that and do more serious tests first.

Feathers

Quote from: Rico on July 26, 2010, 07:09:11 AM
- Mike - when I look at the members listing I don't see it cut off that way.  But I'll check it more later on.

IE6 seems to handle it more cleanly, clipping the display once the boundary of compression is reached.

Quote from: Rico on July 26, 2010, 07:09:11 AMP.S.  Thanks for the comments guys.  I still have more to do and want to tighten things up a bit.  I'm not happy with the name colors yet either.  Trying to find colors that look ok both on light and dark backgrounds.  I'm also toying with moving the forum to SMF 2.0.  But I have to think on that and do more serious tests first.

Well, if you're looking for a select group of users to abuse a trial installation...

:D :D :D :D

Rico

Ok, a few more things.  I've altered the blocks in the right column.  They will vanish when you are "inside" the forum.  Once you are back to the main forum index page they will show up again.  Hopefully this will be a nice way to give more spacing when you are reading posts, making posts, etc. without having to collapse any columns all the time on your own.  I also moved the users online to the left column.  And a few other little things.

Rico

For those interested:

I am STILL working on the new setup for the forum.  It is a lengthy process of trying and testing new features and so on.  And my time is limited.  A couple things I'd like to point out:

- Shoutbox:  Please do NOT post links, images, videos, etc. here.  This causes issues with the box and creates the need for people to scroll side to side.  This isn't a problem with this Shoutbox, this is a problem with posting things like the above in it.  The old Shoutbox had the same issue.  

- Left and Right Columns - I'm still working on the layout a bit.  Keep in mind I'm trying to balance this for ALL users and a variety of screen resolutions.  You can close off one or both columns with the small buttons over the right column.  I am also trying to give members more space when "inside" the forum by closing the right and top column during that time.  But again, this is still in flux.

- Bugs/issues - please continue to report those here.  Always helpful.

Finally, please hang in there for the next week or two while I get this all worked out.  I wanted to both sort of 'refresh' the look of things on the forum and add a few new & fun features.  In the interim, thanks for the support and your patience.

jedijeff

Thanks for all the work on the forums Rico, I know from past experience, doing all those changes takes a lot of time to get right. Tweaking and getting modules to work can eat up a lot of time, what you have implemented so far looks great.

Bromptonboy

I like the new look.  One minor issue for me is that the shoutbox is truncating (I use Chrome).
Pete

Rico

Quote from: Bromptonboy on August 01, 2010, 07:35:22 AM
I like the new look.  One minor issue for me is that the shoutbox is truncating (I use Chrome).

Truncating what?  Links??

Blackride

No, it's windows inside windows. I am having the same issue.
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

Rico

Quote from: Blackride on August 01, 2010, 08:36:42 AM
No, it's windows inside windows. I am having the same issue.

??  I'm not following.  Can you do a screencap and post the pic?  I don't see this in Firefox.  I see scroll bars when links have been posted.