• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Classic Doctor Who - Rewatching from scratch

Started by Dangelus, February 23, 2010, 12:07:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dangelus

Yep he was definately the action man of the show during the 1st Doctor's run. I'm not sure how I feel about this 'crew' of 4 scenario compared to the Doctor / Companion way to go but I am very impressed with the stories and production values of the 1st season.

Darkmolerman

Quote from: Dangelus on March 07, 2010, 11:31:06 PM
one of the Doctor's companions performs the 'Vulcan neck pinch' on somebody to disable them!

This was broadcast a good few years before Star Trek TOS too!

Gene Roddenberry has got some splainin to do :D
"He can't act out of a cardboard box"- Rick Moyer

"I know the answer now sometimes the doctor must look at this planet and look at it in shame" -Gwen Cooper

Meds

Longest and oldest running sci fi series, it's the best really :)

Dangelus

Well, I've watched as much of the 1st Doctor as I could.

I found the era to be good, for it's time and being BBC I thought the production values to be great. Some dodgy stories among the gems bur generally I enjoyed Hartnell's performance and his later companions especially. Saying that I didn't fell too compelled to watch it all, I felt that I wanted to for this experiement.

Now, I'm am on the the second Doctor, Patrick Troughton. My word what a difference! I love this doctor and I can already see what some people are saying about Matt Smith 'channelling' him in certain ways. Absolutely fantastic! :) The humour alone is a massive change.

Loving it!

Bromptonboy

[
Now, I'm am on the the second Doctor, Patrick Troughton. My word what a difference! I love this doctor and I can already see what some people are saying about Matt Smith 'channelling' him in certain ways. Absolutely fantastic! :) The humour alone is a massive change.

Loving it!
[/quote]
I always remember him from 'Jason And The Argonauts'.  Let me know when you are up to John Pertwee, and I will join you in a transatlantic simul-rewatch.
Pete

Meds

Troughton is awesome its such a shame that the BBc wiped so many episodes.

Feathers

Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on April 23, 2010, 03:00:34 PM
Troughton is awesome its such a shame that the BBc wiped so many episodes.

I've seen so few of them!

I saw the Two Doctors a few weeks ago (where he came back in Colin Baker's time). It even started out as black and white before fading into colour. Not the best story but great fun all the same.   

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Dangelus

Yes such a shame so many stories were wiped. I have acquired the reconstructed episodes but I only watched 'The Tenth Planet' to see the regeneration sequence and a little the following episode to see the continuation of it.

Currently watching 'Tomb of the Cybermen' which is brilliant!

Meds

Love Tomb Of the Cybermen. That's scary Cybermen. The regeneration is cool but they do look alike on that floor. I have the lost in time DVD expensive and really for the dedicated Who fan because it's just surviving clips from Hartnell & Troughton era. Worth buying though but I would say that.

Dangelus

That's another one to scour eBay for! Cheers Meds.

Meds

It's a great box set Dan I think you'd like it. It's about £17 new which is ok but as I say it's just clips. Great for looking back though.

Dangelus

Meds