• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Zoom, zoom

Started by Rico, April 24, 2010, 06:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billybob476

Bumblebee! If we're talking about what we'd LIKE to drive, I want an M3 :)

sheldor

Quote from: Rico on April 29, 2010, 05:31:49 AM
What I want to test drive next....

Chevy Camaro Snow Performance

We ALL know what you're thinking...

I've been thinking the same :)

Feathers

You guys just have different cars to us.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Rico

Quote from: Feathers on April 29, 2010, 06:30:32 AM
You guys just have different cars to us.

Oh, definitely.  When you drive A LOT over many miles, and in a lot of different road and weather conditions it makes your car your second home.  At least that's the way I feel these days.  I want to make sure I pick one I will love to drive.

Rico

Well, visited a Chevy dealer after work today.  Drove a new Malibu and an Impala.  The Malibu drives very nice and isn't bad looking.  I really wanted to drive a Camaro.  They only had one (which shocked me) in the showroom.  They offered to pull it out for me to drive, but I passed.  I wanted to drive the smaller engine version anyway.  The big, monster engine just drinks the gas down.  But it is fast.  Anyway, couple of pics of the red one in the showroom.  Kind of dark.  All these pics lately are using my phone.  Pretty car and I did jump inside and sit in it.  It can even handle my 6'4" inch height.

Rico

When to a Honda dealer today and drove the Insight - a hybrid.  Averages about 43 mpg.  Batteries kick in when stopped at lights and stuff.  It's kind of weird when the engine shuts off while driving.  Pick up wasn't too bad but not sure I could get used to it.  Neat car, hatchback, nice look I thought.  Rides pretty nice.  Not too bad.

billybob476

I'm glad they made it look less like a spaceship :)

If you're looking at Honda Hybrids why not a civic? I have a non-hybrid Civic and it's not a bad car at all.

Rico

Quote from: billybob476 on May 03, 2010, 02:05:21 PM
I'm glad they made it look less like a spaceship :)

If you're looking at Honda Hybrids why not a civic? I have a non-hybrid Civic and it's not a bad car at all.

Funny you should suggest that.  I only had time to drive the Hybrid but my next trip in I want to try a Civic.  They get good MPG too.

sheldor

This is the kind that charges the battery when you are driving?  Great idea...when I looked at one the cargo area was dinky.  Hope they changed it.  You get a big tax credit for this?

Very cool - Al Gore would be proud :)

billybob476

Yup much better mileage on my Civic then I had on my previous Jetta 1.8T.

It's definitely not an exciting car (unless you get the Si) but it does the job.

I'm still not convinced that Hybrids are worth the money at this point.

Rico

Quote from: billybob476 on May 03, 2010, 02:22:49 PM
Yup much better mileage on my Civic then I had on my previous Jetta 1.8T.

It's definitely not an exciting car (unless you get the Si) but it does the job.

I'm still not convinced that Hybrids are worth the money at this point.

The Insight cost isn't bad (yes the battery charges while you drive).  They warranty the battery for 8 years.  I did some rough calculations and it looks like it would save me about $800 - $1000 or so a year in gas.  But I'm not sure I could get used to the engine shutting off and starting all the time around town.

billybob476

When I was buying the Civic I ran some numbers between a comparable 'normal' Civic and a Hybrid Civic. With gas prices at the time (in 08 when they were insane) I figured out that it would take 13 years for me to 'break even' on paying the added cost for the hybrid vs. the savings I would get in fuel.

Not sure if you guys get a lot more government subsidies on hybrids or not.

Rico

Some of it depends on how far you drive (I think I put in 15K miles a year - current estimate) and what you compare it to (I used my current car which only averages about 25 mpg).  Of course if you compare a hybrid to a car that already gets into the mid 30's for mpg it's a much different story.

Rico

I discovered the dealer in Michigan that I got my current G6 convertible from has several 2009 G6 convertibles.  Technically used, but most have 100 miles or less.  I am tempted to take one off their hands.  :)

Rico

Went to a Hyundai dealership today and drove a Sonata and a Genesis.  Both are nice cars.  The Sonata is a four door sedan but I like the way it's styled more than other sedans and it has some nice features like keyless start.  The Genesis is a two door coupe and rear wheel drive.  A very slick car and fun to drive - and fast.  Ahh, decisions,....