• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Zoom, zoom

Started by Rico, April 24, 2010, 06:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Drove one of these today.  My lease is up in a couple months, so starting to shop around.  Pretty cool car.  But it's not a convertible.   :'(

Bromptonboy

Looks nice - Mazda's version of the Honda FIT.
Pete

moyer777

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

sheldor

My brother mike bought one last year - they really like it.

jedijeff

I have a Mazda 3, I really like it a lot. For the price it came with a lot of features.

Rico

Quote from: jedijeff on April 24, 2010, 07:24:25 PM
I have a Mazda 3, I really like it a lot. For the price it came with a lot of features.

Cool!  What year do you have Jeff?  And engine?  Anything you don't like about it?

billybob476

The guys at me previous job swear by their Mazada3's they love them.

jedijeff

Quote from: Rico on April 24, 2010, 08:06:23 PM
Quote from: jedijeff on April 24, 2010, 07:24:25 PM

Cool!  What year do you have Jeff?  And engine?  Anything you don't like about it?

I have a 2006 Mazda 3 GS, I believe it has a 2.3L engine.

For the most part, I don't have any complaints about it. It has been a reliable car so far, nothing outstanding in the maintenance. I do notice the brakes squeal a bit from time to time when I backup when it is cold. Also did not really care for the tires that came with it, they were terrible in the winter, and I have already replaced them as they needed replacing. I have two sets of tires now, winter tires, and summer tires, probably best way to go these days with the Winters.

I have a 4 door sedan version, I like it, but I think if I did it over again, I would get a hatch back like you are looking at.

Rico

Three things I noticed when I drove the Mazda 3, 2010 version:

Seems a bit "bouncy" on the road.  Not terrible, just different than my G6.
Brakes really touchy, but that might just take some getting used to.
Very tight, sensitive steering - again might just need to adjust to that.

The ride concerns me most.  Maybe it's the weight distribution but for a fairly smooth road the shocks just didn't seem to handle it real well.  But, I'm still looking around.  This is just the early stages of my car shopping.  Actually drove a GMC Terrain about a week ago.  Very nice SUV and good ride.  Liked it.  Definitely keeping it in mind if I go the SUV route.  Want to try a Chevy Equinox too.

billybob476

A buddy of mine had a Chevy Equinox until recently, not a bad SUV though the inside was definitely very 'plasticky' and I know he had some issues with the brakes before he traded it in. Had it for about 5 years and recently replaced it with a Honda Pilot.

billybob476

Alos, keeping on the Mazda bandwagon, I just found out my mom picked up a new Mazda Tribute, it'll be her second one. She quite likes it. If I'm not mistaken this is a joint venture between Mazda and Ford (the Ford version being the Escape).

Rico

Quote from: billybob476 on April 25, 2010, 08:45:36 AM
A buddy of mine had a Chevy Equinox until recently, not a bad SUV though the inside was definitely very 'plasticky' and I know he had some issues with the brakes before he traded it in. Had it for about 5 years and recently replaced it with a Honda Pilot.

I've heard that a little, but think it's a bit better now.  The appealing thing about the Equinox and Terrain SUV's is they get 32 mpg on the hwy.  Very impressive for an SUV.

jedijeff

Quote from: Rico on April 25, 2010, 08:35:42 AM
Three things I noticed when I drove the Mazda 3, 2010 version:

Seems a bit "bouncy" on the road.  Not terrible, just different than my G6.
Brakes really touchy, but that might just take some getting used to.
Very tight, sensitive steering - again might just need to adjust to that.

The ride concerns me most.  Maybe it's the weight distribution but for a fairly smooth road the shocks just didn't seem to handle it real well.  But, I'm still looking around.  This is just the early stages of my car shopping.  Actually drove a GMC Terrain about a week ago.  Very nice SUV and good ride.  Liked it.  Definitely keeping it in mind if I go the SUV route.  Want to try a Chevy Equinox too.

I think when you deal with Cars this size, that you will notice things like bumps a bit more. I found the brakes to be a bit sensitive as well, but I adjusted pretty quick, and actually prefer them that way. Same with the steering, I think this is similar to a lot of cars this size, as they have smaller wheel bases then larger cars. For me, I actually prefer my steering that way, sort of used to it. I was coming from a Cavalier, so a lot of the way the Car handled seem very familiar to me.

Mazda Tribute is something I would not mind getting some day, maybe next Vehicle possibly. I believe their is a lot of similarities between the Tribute and the Ford Escape.

ChadH

If I may offer my unsolicited opinion, Katzekitty has a Pontiac Vibe which we both really like. The ride is pretty smooth, the cabin is relatively free of road noise and the mileage is a decent 28-30 mpg. The seats are comfy as well. It's also been trouble free for the three years that she's owned it. I'm considering selling my Scion xA and getting a Vibe for myself.   

Rico