• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Zoom, zoom

Started by Rico, April 24, 2010, 06:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Quote from: billybob476 on June 04, 2010, 01:57:48 PM
What are your trim level options? Those Nissan V6's are beasts.

Have you driven any of them Joe?  Basically it comes down to either a 2.5 engine, 4 cyl., with about 170hp.  OR - the 3.5 V6 with about 270 hp.  I've gone back and forth on them.  The 4 cyl. is pretty peppy and gets pretty good MPG.  The V6 is very fast (even more than the V6 I have now).  And of course MPG is a bit less.  There are other options, but the big question is the engine.  If I went with the four, I could get the car pretty loaded up, but if I went with the V6 I would drop an item or two.  Anyway, I'd like to settle this and get things rolling.  Going to sleep on it and either go in tomorrow or Monday to start the whole price negotiation thing.

Feathers

I love those engine sizes. They're just about twice as big as anything you'd get in a 'normal' car over here. I shudder to think what the annual tax rate would be to own one here!

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Rico

Quote from: Feathers on June 04, 2010, 03:44:17 PM
I love those engine sizes. They're just about twice as big as anything you'd get in a 'normal' car over here. I shudder to think what the annual tax rate would be to own one here!

What is the annual tax rate you mention and how is it calculated?

billybob476

Haven't driven them myself though I've been in a V6 Maxima and the thing flew. I guess you'll get a lot more low end torque on the V6, the I4 will be less fun but more economical.

At the end of the day it's really a preference thing. I love my Civic but I really with it had a bit more pep, but I bought it when gas prices were peaking so fuel economy was foremost on my mind.

For fuel economy comparisons I like http://www.fueleconomy.gov/

Rico

Think I'm going with the V6.  It should actually get slightly better MPG than my current car.  And I know if I went with the 4 I would regret it.

Feathers

Quote from: Rico on June 04, 2010, 04:30:53 PM
What is the annual tax rate you mention and how is it calculated?
Road Tax? It's the annual fee we get to pay the government for the privilege of owning a car.

It used to be a flat rate thing but these days it's based on emissions which roughly translates as 'the bigger the engine, the more you pay'.

Highest rate looks to be £435 (or £950 for the first year).

I was pretty sure the US States had their own systems?

Rico

You pay 500 - 1000 pounds a year??  WOW!  We just have an annual license tab/registration fee.  Varies from state to state a bit.  Illinois is like $95.  Michigan it varies a little up to about maybe $140.  This is more for road costs, etc.  Nothing to do with engine.  Frankly older cars are the worst offenders for emissions - not bigger engines on new cars.  A well tuned new car has pretty low emissions.  They do know that emissions don't stay hovering over the UK when cars emit them don't they?  ;)

Feathers

Who knows? ;)

Those are the top end figures for CO2 emissions over 255 g/km. I pay £235 for the family car and £115 for the smaller, new one.

(I only just realised - we drive in miles but pay tax in kilometres)

For what it's worth, talking tax, fuel is about £1.20 per litre at the moment.

Rico

Well, I think I'm going to the dealer after work and get the ball rolling on this.  Here are some excerpts from some reviews of the Altima coupe:

For 2010, the Nissan Altima Coupe sports a four-wheel independent suspension, with MacPherson front struts, front and rear stabilizer bars, and a multi-link rear suspension. The 2.5 S rides on 17-inch aluminum alloy wheels, while the 3.5 SR boasts 18-inch alloys. All this combines to create what virtually all reviewers claim is one nimble and fun automobile to take through its paces.

Most reviewers find the CVT a good fit with either the I4 or the V6 powerplant. Acceleration is adequate with either engine, no matter the transmission, but things get downright exciting behind the wheel of the CVT-equipped 3.5 SR, which did 0-60 in 6.7 seconds in one test.

Driving

This is where the Altima really shines. Handling and suspension are crisp and tight even in the 2.5 S. Despite the sporty suspension, it never felt too bumpy on the road. The 2.5-liter engine and CVT are good for regular driving, and provides a smooth and easy drive in a stylish everyday driver.

Driver and front passenger have tons of room in front, though adults will be cramped in the rear seats. Trunk space is fairly limited as you would expect; a small price to pay for such a sexy car.

http://www.automoblog.net/2009/12/19/2010-nissan-altima-coupe-review/

billybob476

So would you go for the CVT transmission?

Rico

Quote from: billybob476 on June 07, 2010, 07:33:28 AM
So would you go for the CVT transmission?

Yep.  Pretty slick and slightly better on gas.

billybob476

I know they feel strange initially, there's no gear shifting!

Feathers

Quote from: Rico on June 07, 2010, 07:16:42 AM
with MacPherson front struts

Is this a Warehouse 13 reference?

Bromptonboy

I have a Prius at the moment (2005) - and in 2 more months it will be all mine.  I am tempted to get a new model, but there are all sorts of pluggable hybrid electrics just on the horizon - some coming out in 2011 - so I will try to hold out till then.
Pete

Rico

Well - the deed is pretty much done.  Should have the car on Friday.  Pretty happy with the price and all that.  Sales guy was pretty cool to deal with on it all.