• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Shatner for Governor General!

Started by billybob476, April 23, 2010, 06:17:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billybob476

I'd be totally down for this...

As of Friday morning, more than 16,000 people had joined a Facebook group campaigning to have William Shatner named Canada's next governor general.

"This is our chance as Canadians to have our voices heard and to tell our leaders in Ottawa that we know who we want to represent us on the global stage: the one, the only, William Shatner," the group's page reads.

"Imagine Mr. Shatner reading the Speech from the Throne in that classic Captain Kirk style we have all come to know and love."

A spokesperson for the 79-year-old former Star Trek star said Thursday he was "on set" and unable to comment on the campaign to have him take over the august post at Rideau Hall.

On Friday morning 16,577 people had joined the Facebook group, which was formed one month ago.

The prime minister said he won't be extending the five-year term for the current Governor General Michaelle Jean.

There's another big online push to propel another celebrity - Leonard Cohen - into the post.

As of Friday morning, that Facebook group had just over 6,700 followers.

"He is fluently bilingual and is gladly claimed by both French and English Canada," the group's page says. "He loves our nation in the quiet way only true Canadians understand. He is spiritual and morally centered without pushing his faith on anyone else."

Rick Hansen, Inuit leader Mary Simon and former Reform Party leader Preston Manning are a few other names that have been floated.

http://www.citytv.com/toronto/citynews/news/national/article/75302--shatner-for-gov-gen-facebook-group-boasts-more-than-16-000-members

Rico

It would be pretty sweet but I frankly doubt Bill has the time for this.

billybob476

I believe he responded saying he's honored but he'd rather be Prime Minister. The Governor General has powers (being the Queen's representative in Canada) but they are rarely exercised.

I'll find a link later on.

Darkmolerman

Hehe wow how timely, I was joking with a friend how most celebrities could easily run for office and use their fame (and money) to get office, and here we go :P
"He can't act out of a cardboard box"- Rick Moyer

"I know the answer now sometimes the doctor must look at this planet and look at it in shame" -Gwen Cooper

billybob476

Well one thing I like about The Shat is that he still identifies strongly with Canada (unlike many other celebrities).

Also he's a Montrealer like me (Though he went to McGill University and I went to Concordia University...go Stingers!)

sparrow

i think we have another Schwarzenegger
keep your finger light on the trigger