• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

George R.R. Martin "Game of Thrones"

Started by globeTrekker, April 10, 2010, 04:47:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

globeTrekker

Just wanted to try one more time in case my other message (posted as a repky to another thread) was missed. I'm about to reread the 4 books in the series in prep for the upcoming 5th book and the new HBO series. Are there enough fans here to make it worth trying a group read/discussion?

X

i've read all four and would love to discuss them, but I don't think you should feel rushed, it could take years for the next book to be released.

Bromptonboy

Pete

aimeelovestrek

Argh!!

Those books are pure, absolutly enjoyable, intoxicating, torture!

This author is deviously good at writing, and had me wrapped around his finger the whole time.

I don't want to give anything away, but for goodness sake, finish the next one George!

What I'm looking forward to most? The dragons coming and burning Cersei to a crisp.

I hope that's vauge enough for those who have read them to know what I mean but not too much to spoil anything.

Fav characters anyone?

Mine would be . . . actually, that's a hard question because he's made such complex characters that you think you like the person, they're doing the right thing, and then they turn around and surprise you and you aren't such a fan anymore . . . tough to choose. Bran is interesting.
"He thought, or said, or sang, I did not know that I was so empty, to be so full." 

-Peter S. Beagle

Bromptonboy

I have only done the first book, and have to get into the others. 
Pete

beer

I am rereading them now, half way thru A Clash of Kings (Book 2) ... Favorite charectors (or POVs) would have to include Arya, Bran, Jon, and of course Tyrion. Most are probably aware that this series is in production over at HBO. If you use twitter I recommend following @westerosorg and @wicnet for frequent updates and information.

beer

Here's the very latest from HBO via GRRM (grrm.livejournal.com) ...

HBO Entertainment
Season one will total 10 episodes
Production is based in Belfast, Northern Ireland and is will begin principal photography on July 26, 2010.

Game of Thrones has received funding from Northern Ireland Screen and will shoot in the Paint Hall studio, Belfast, as well as various locations in Northern Ireland. A second location for production will be Malta with assistance from the Malta Film Commission.

LOG LINE:

Game of Thrones is a new original HBO series based on George R.R. Martins best-selling novels. In a world where summers span decades and winters can last a lifetime, the Westeros crown comes with a price. Betrayal, lust, intrigue and supernatural forces shake the four corners of the Kingdom, from the scheming south and the savage eastern lands, to the frozen north and the ancient Wall that protects the realm from the darkness beyond. Kings and queens, knights and renegades, liars and noble men vie for power in the bloody struggle for the Iron Throne.

SERIES CREDITS:

David Benioff Executive Producer
D.B. Weiss Executive Producer
Carolyn Strauss Co-Executive Producer
Guymon Casady Co-Executive Producer
Vince Gerardis Co-Executive Producer
Ralph Vicinanza Co-Executive Producer
George R.R. Martin Co-Executive Producer
Mark Huffam Producer
Frank Doelger Producer
Marco Pontecorvo Director of Photography
Alik Sakharov Director of Photography
Gemma Jackson Production Designer
Michele Clapton Costume Designer

The pilot was written by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss. The writers of the series are: David Benioff & D.B. Weiss (seven episodes), Bryan Cogman, Jane Espenson and George R.R. Martin (one episode each). Game of Thrones is based on the series of books A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin.

The pilot director was Tom McCarthy. Series directors include: Brian Kirk, Daniel Minahan and Alan Taylor. Other directors will be announced as they are confirmed.

SERIES REGULARS IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER:

Mark Addy as King Robert Baratheon
Alfie Allen as Theon Greyjoy
Sean Bean as Eddard Ned Stark
Emilia Clarke as Daenerys Targaryen
Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Ser Jamie Lannister
Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister
Michelle Fairley as Catelyn Stark
Aidan Gillen as Littlefinger
Jack Gleeson as Joffrey Baratheon
Iain Glen as Ser Jorah Mormont
Kit Harington as Jon Snow
Lena Headey as Cersei Lannister
Isaac Hempstead-Wright as Bran Stark
Harry Lloyd as Viserys Targaryen
Richard Madden as Rob Stark
Rory McCann as Sandor Clegane (Hound)
Sophie Turner as Sansa Stark
Maisie Williams as Arya Stark

FEATURED CAST IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER:

John Bradley as Samwell Tarly
Ron Donachie as Ser Rodrik Cassel
Jerome Flynn as Bronn
Conleth Hill as Varys
Jason Momoa as Khal Drogo
Donald Sumpter as Maester Luwin

GUEST CAST IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER:

Josef Altin as Pyp
Gethin Anthony as Renly Baratheon
Ciaran Bermingham as Mord
Esme Bianco as Ros
Susan Brown as Septa Mordane
Dominic Carter as Janos Slynt
Antonia Christophers as Mhaegen
Kate Dickie as Lysa Arryn
Roy Dotrice as Grand Maester Pycelle
Emun Elliott as Marillion
Lino Facioli as Robin Arryn
Jefferson Hall as Ser Hugh of the Vale
Derek Halligan as Alliser Thorne
Rhodri Hosking as Mycah
Margaret John as Old Nan
Finn Jones as Ser Loras Tyrell
Dermot Keaney as Gared
Francis Magee as Yoren
Joseph Mawle as Benjen Stark
Brendan McCormack as Ser Vardis Egan
Ian McElhinney as Ser Barristan Selmy
Luke McEwan as Rast
Kristian Nairn as Hodor
Rob Ostlere as Ser Waymar Royce
Eugene Simon as Lancel Lannister
Jamie Sives as Jory Cassel
John Standing as Jon Arryn
Conan Stevens as Gregor The Mountain Clegane
Peter Vaughan as Maester Aemon Targaryen
Miltos Yeromelou as Syrio Forel

==========================================================================

George again, with a few closing comments.

Yes, we will be filming in Malta, rather than returning to Morocco. The Knights Hospitaller were kind enough to build some great sets for us.

"Mhaegan" is little Barra's mother. She has no name in the novel.

Two more directors have been named. This was news to me as well. I'm excited too.

Lysa's son has been renamed for the series. "Robin" instead of "Robert," as in the books. He's still Sweetrobin.

Marillion has not been renamed, though I offered to do so. I was tired of people assuming he was named after the band. I had never heard of the band when I named him, though I've heard a lot about them since.

'nuff said. This should give you plenty to chew on for a few days... while casting continues and we nail down a few more parts. Lots more still to come, including Osha, Shae, and Twyin.