Jamie Oliver's food revolution

Started by alanp, April 11, 2010, 08:56:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

Has anyone seen this show?  Thoughts?

I was thinking maybe they should have it on in the supermarket!

Bromptonboy

I haven't seen this show, but I have watched a number of his other programs - 'Naked Chef', etc.  I have a great deal of respect for his crusading efforts in nutrition.
Pete

sheldor

I watched the first episode.  OMGosh - elementary kids were having pizza for breakfast??  I think you can cook healthy for much less than the processed foods.   I was surprised at the towns reluctance to change their ways.   Jamie is battling the radio jocks, cafeteria cooks and the politicians.  Come on people - these are our kids we're talking about.

KingIsaacLinksr

My Mom is really into this show, she showed it to me.  Just shows many of the flaws our Government, and especially, Education department has right now. 

And yet, we trust them to do our health care....*irony*

Its a good show and really opens your eyes on things like the food we eat.  His crusade is certainly worth something.

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Bryancd

My wife Jamie has been watching it and really likes it. I saw that first episode where he went into that school and was appalled but not shocked, that the children were so food and nutrition ignorant. I am amazed at what passes for an acceptable diet in this country. We all make our own choices, but so many make such bad ones with such alarming frequency.

Rico

I haven't watched it yet, but I kind of find the commercials a bit over the top.  Yes, there are definitely people, kids, adults, etc. that make poor food choices.  But not every school or place is like they are showing.  However, maybe this will wise some folks up.

ChadH

A sad thing is that for some kids, that school lunch is the most nutritious meal their going to get all day.

Meds

Ah we had Jamie do this a few years ago in the UK it was called school dinners and I loved it ( own the DVD ) and it comes down to many things but the main one is parents. In England Jamie changed the menu and you had some parents actually posting macdonalds through the bars on the gates because their kids wouldn't eat veg.

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on April 11, 2010, 11:29:31 AM
I haven't watched it yet, but I kind of find the commercials a bit over the top.  Yes, there are definitely people, kids, adults, etc. that make poor food choices.  But not every school or place is like they are showing.  However, maybe this will wise some folks up.

No doubt, although i haven't watched any more of it yet. However, even the most casual observation at your local mall would seem to indicate obese children are an epidemic in this country.

sheldor

Quote from: Rico on April 11, 2010, 11:29:31 AM

No, not every school but if you can fix the worst - it may grab the attention.  I don't remember it being like that when I was a "wee little one" :)   We had white milk for $0.05 and chocolate for $0.06.   We never got breakfast.