• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Trek Vegas Convention

Started by Blackride, February 05, 2010, 07:26:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackride

Here are some of my thoughts on the convention. Creation did a decent job with it. There were times when there was confusion on their part and some mis-management. I also did not like the fact that Creation dictated to the vendors that they could not sell pictures of their guests, only Creation was allowed to. They also had a ton of microphone issues which you would think could have gotten worked out on the first day.

Here are some of my thoughts on the stars of the convention.

Shatner: Clearly he only comes to these things for money. He had a crew following him around for a new documentary he is doing called "The Captains". When the camera was on he was all smiles and shaking peoples hands but the minute it was off he was not exactly the most cordial guy in the world. When we got autos and photos with him he did not smile or even look up at us. We were not exactly pleased with that but ohh well.

Avery Brooks: He was simply amazing. His on stage performance was awesome. He played the piano and sang. He was so personable I could not believe it. He spent SOOOO much time with people in their auto and photo ops it was crazy. He asked EVERYONES name and shacked EVERYONES hand. He also asked everyone where they were from. This guy was such a class act!

Garret Wang: Well lets just say this. He clearly loves this environment. He was good on stage and in person. One funny story was that when we were waiting for photos with him, they could not find him at all. The eventually found him "cough" cough" in his room with a guest. They both came down to the photo op and he was great.

More stuff to come.....
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

Rico

Interesting thoughts Blackride.  My only comment on the Shatner thing would be the question - does he really need the money?  But yeah, I wouldn't expect him to be that inviting when he isn't required to be "on." 

Really looking forward to seeing your pics too.

Blackride

Jeri Ryan: She had tons of security around here due to her stalker. For photo ops she sat in a chair and you were not allowed to touch her at all. It was the same thing with autos. They were clearly "on guard" with her. She was pretty funny on stage and was great with everyone.

Brent Spiner: Very cool guy. He took time to ask people their names etc.. He was also awesome on stage.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

Rico

Yeah, I've had good experiences with Brent.  He's a very funny guy.  Very nice too.

Here are a few more pics I snagged from the trekmovie.com Flickr page:  http://www.flickr.com/groups/startrekvegas09/pool/with/4875869013/

Blackride

Nana Visitor: Nana was a nice lady. She had WAAAYYYY too much to drink though. She was clearly drunk or near drunk. When I did my auto time with her she was laughing her butt off. It was very funny. It was nice to meet her though.

Jennifer Lien: This was the most shocking thing at the conference imo. She looked horrible! She was a mess. There are clearly "issues" she is dealing with. If you saw here in person you would have zero idea that she played Kes. During her photo ops she did not smile once. I felt bad for her but it's clear she is dealing with some major stuff at this time.

Michael Dorn: What can I say. He was Worf, but only smaller with very strong glasses :)

Robert Picardo: He was one of the highlights to the whole convention. He remembered both our names the entire time we were there and joked with us a ton. He was a class act and funny to boot.

billybob476

I like Patrick Stewart's little hat. :)

Bryancd

Jeri Ryan looks great. What's with Garret Wangs wife beater shirt? He needs to do some curls to pull that look off!

Blackride

Quote from: billybob476 on August 11, 2010, 05:39:10 AM
I like Patrick Stewart's little hat. :)

He had that hat on because of some minor laser surgery he had from his dermatologist or doctor. Something to do with the amount of sun his bald head gets. He had red splotches on his head.

AwesomeRococo

Nana is always like that. I worked with her in the autographs session, and she's just sweet and super friendly and having a great time while she's there. She gave out signed business cards to a good 3/4 of the people who she signed for, meaning instead of just signing for the 400 or so gold and tickets she did, she just about double-signed- and did it all with a smile on her face, never complaining. And let me tell you, almost every other celebrity that had to sign for gold was bitching something fierce at about the half way point.

Quote from: Blackride on August 11, 2010, 05:36:09 AM
Nana Visitor: Nana was a nice lady. She had WAAAYYYY too much to drink though. She was clearly drunk or near drunk. When I did my auto time with her she was laughing her butt off. It was very funny. It was nice to meet her though.

Jennifer Lien: This was the most shocking thing at the conference imo. She looked horrible! She was a mess. There are clearly "issues" she is dealing with. If you saw here in person you would have zero idea that she played Kes. During her photo ops she did not smile once. I felt bad for her but it's clear she is dealing with some major stuff at this time.

Unfortunately, this is not a new issue for Jennifer. She came several years ago, and also had a very difficult convention. The rumor was that she was doing a lot better, but based on what I saw, things are still pretty rough for her. You're right, you would NEVER guess looking at her now that she was Kes. I was back in the autographs area while she was signing, and she looked like she was going to cry the entire time. At one point Jonathan Frakes (who was signing across the way) tried to get her attention to see if she was alright, and she wouldn't acknowledge him talking to her. It's very sad.

AwesomeRococo

Rico

Those are some great pics Mina.  Love them.  This one caught my eye.  Hope you frame this.  Because I'm drooling over it!  ;)

moyer777

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Meds

Great reports everyone. Its sad about Jennifer, according to the interview she did she is hoping to become a nurse, she's out of the acting game and maybe she should just stay away from all the lime light.

Fantastic pictures and thanks to everyone who reported.

Blackride

SO SAY WE ALL!!!!!!

Blackride

JAWS. He was a great guy. He talked to us a lot. He was not able to walk very well at all though. He had to use a scooter.