• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Trekkie vs. Trekker

Started by Geekyfanboy, August 29, 2009, 10:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which one do you prefer being called

Trekkie
Trekker

Jen

It's just a word, but I always thought Trekkie came first. Trekker was just something they came up with after TNG became successful,  to tag new fans with. It doesn't really matter to me, but I went with Trekkie. :)
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

dataskatt

I've always gone with Trekkie...but either is okay.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

cassious

I've kind of made a requirement thing to be a Trekkie or Trekker(in my own mind). My requirements are:

Trekker: Has seen the shows/movies and enjoyed them.
Knows enough Trek stuff to hold up a small discussion.
Might own a few collectibles.

Trekkie:Watched every episode of every series.
Seen every movie multiple times.
Knows who all the actors are and little facts about them.
Has attended a con.
Owns quite a few collectibles.
Has or has attempted to dress as a Trek character/race.
Can at least say a curse or two in a Trek language(usually Klingon...)
Can practically wage verbal war in a discussion on Trek.
Has looked up things related to it(EX:Physics).

But those are just my requirements, in my mind, for being either. I'm just a n00b Trekkie, but on my way up. ;) Personally, I'd rather be called a Trekkie mainly because it's used more often so people know what it is(at least where I am) and I'm quite proud to fall into that category.
"Would you like refreshments?""No""...Would you like a pillow?""No!""Perhaps some music?""No thank you!...Sir!" Gotta love when an android tries to be caring ♥
My cyberpunk fic:http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5335859/1/Blurred_Realities

Ktrek

In all actuality I have never laid claim to either title. When people have said "oh! you're a Trekkie!" I would respond by saying that I am a fan of Star Trek. I don't like labels for the most part. I don't like geek, nerd, techie, weirdo, or any of the other various titles that people may call me. The only title I have somewhat accepted is that of Christian and even that I find myself trying to avoid these days.

That said though I still prefer Trekker over Trekkie even if Trekkie came first. I've been a fan since September 8th, 1966 and I suppose I will die a fan.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

psikeyhackr

Neither

I'm a Science Fiction fan.

Babylon 5 is better than Star Trek.

psik
Andre Norton does it better than J.K.Rowling

ChadH

I prefer Homo Sapiens Trekus.

ChadH

Quote from: Shelby Daelen on September 04, 2009, 10:44:58 AM
I think as long as you have a love for the genre both can apply :D
Well said young lady.:)

spaltor

I've always thought of myself as a trekkie.

And I've gotten in trouble for it.  YEARS ago at a convention - I must have been 13 or 14 at the time - I was talking about this very topic with my friends.  Some guy, probably in his 30s, came up to us and started screaming about how were were wrong and the term "trekkie" was derogatory and "trekker" was preferred.  We just stared back at this guy, no idea what so say.  I don't even remember what happened next, but I remember being embarrassed and frightened by this random dude.  What's wrong with people?  ::)

But, yeah... trekkie.

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: spaltor on September 04, 2009, 11:44:10 AM
I've always thought of myself as a trekkie.

And I've gotten in trouble for it.  YEARS ago at a convention - I must have been 13 or 14 at the time - I was talking about this very topic with my friends.  Some guy, probably in his 30s, came up to us and started screaming about how were were wrong and the term "trekkie" was derogatory and "trekker" was preferred.  We just stared back at this guy, no idea what so say.  I don't even remember what happened next, but I remember being embarrassed and frightened by this random dude.  What's wrong with people?  ::)

But, yeah... trekkie.

This shows that some people take things wayyyyyy tooooo seriously..

In other words: He needed to take a chill pill, its not like its our official title or something :P

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

psikeyhackr

Quote from: spaltor on September 04, 2009, 11:44:10 AMSome guy, probably in his 30s, came up to us and started screaming about how were were wrong and the term "trekkie" was derogatory and "trekker" was preferred.  We just stared back at this guy, no idea what so say.  I don't even remember what happened next, but I remember being embarrassed and frightened by this random dude.

That dude was obviously a Trekkie.  Just too neurotic to figure it out.

Going around scaring little kids.  Ridiculous!

psik
Andre Norton does it better than J.K.Rowling

Bryancd

Who cares? Just like what you like, don't worry about the labels.