• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

How long do you give them to put out a DVD?

Started by alanp, July 29, 2009, 07:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

I hate it when they start putting out DVDs and never finish the series.  Beyond Belief only has an official release of it's first season of a show that did 4.  Sliders did 4 of 5 seasons.  This seems to be a trend.

I encourage people to wait for the real DVD release before going to the torrents.  I like to get the set with the special features, and other goodies.  In addition to supporting the release of good content financially.  But I can't ignore that when they pull the plug on a series that the torrents are out there and I can finish my collection.  I've given them a year or so but at some point I'll want want to complete the collection.  Legit or not.

Thankfully there will be an official Sarah Conner season 2 but I'm not sure about Kyle XY.

Ktrek

If there is a show I really like I will use torrents or newsgroups to see the episode. Or even Hulu or other such sites. However, once an official release comes I will delete the mpgs and buy myself a copy. I much prefer having original official releases over the lower quality TV captures. Captures are fine in the interim but I must have the real deal when possible. I'm waiting patiently for the 1966 Batman to make it's way to DVD but I'm afraid all I will ever have are the bootleg copies I own of the ABC master tapes. They're very watchable but it would be nice to see an official release with a good quality transfer.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Rico

I mainly wait and buy the DVD's, but there is an interesting thing going on right now.  With all the HD being broadcast you can find and download HD versions of TV shows that are of higher resolution than the DVD sets.  And in some cases there are series out that haven't come out in hi-def.  Some examples are "Desperate Housewives" (a guilty pleasure) and "The Big Bang Theory."  Both have been airing in HD, but are only available to buy on DVD (at least for physical media).  I'm waiting for the day when they get smarter and allow you some type of all-access purchase.  It will give you digital downloads in hi-def and automatically send you the Blu-Ray set when it comes out.

alanp

It's kind of a strange thing that they put out Seaquest seasons 1 and 2 but not 3.  They can't possibly think scifi fans, who love to collect things, will just forget about it.

Given the choice between avi files with a station logo in the corner, or a higher quality transfer with commentaries and goodies, I'll take the commercial release every day of the week.  But I'll only wait for it so long...

Ktrek

Quote from: AlanP on July 30, 2009, 05:04:39 PM
It's kind of a strange thing that they put out Seaquest seasons 1 and 2 but not 3.  They can't possibly think scifi fans, who love to collect things, will just forget about it.

Given the choice between avi files with a station logo in the corner, or a higher quality transfer with commentaries and goodies, I'll take the commercial release every day of the week.  But I'll only wait for it so long...

Alan - It was around two years between season one and two being released so it may be another year before season three comes out but I'm pretty sure it is coming. Just one of those things I guess. Most Stephen Spielberg productions seem to take a long time to come out.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine