• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

TNG Movies Come to Blu-Ray

Started by Geekyfanboy, July 21, 2009, 10:03:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geekyfanboy

SPOCKFAN

Glad to see that, but I will be real excited when TNG series comes to blu-ray with enhanced special effects!

Ktrek

Quote from: SPOCKFAN on July 21, 2009, 11:10:09 AM
Glad to see that, but I will be real excited when TNG series comes to blu-ray with enhanced special effects!

You will have a long wait! I heard that the cost of redoing the sfx for TNG is cost prohibitive. Every single effect would have to be redone and also a lot of other work to make the series suitable for Blu-Ray.

I am lookng forward to the TNG movies though, and the box looks nice. It looks to match the TOS movies box.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Ktrek

For anyone who cares this set was released today. I have yet to look at any of the films but I'm sure I'll be happy with them in this format.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

alanp

Wonder what Star Trek Evolutions is.

I'm guessing a special features disk.

Ktrek

Quote from: AlanP on September 22, 2009, 01:47:18 PM
Wonder what Star Trek Evolutions is.

I'm guessing a special features disk.

Yes....It is a special features disc made exclusively for this box set. All the movie discs also have over 3 hr.s of special features on them of previously released material and then several new features made for this release.

I forgot to mention that BestBuy has this set on sale for only $49.99 this week only. My store had only one copy of this and TOS season two so I'm glad I didn't wait till tomorrow!

Kevin

Geekyfanboy

Thanks for the heads up.. going to head to Best Buy tomorrow... can't wait to get it.

alanp

Is getting a blu-ray disk really that big of an upgrade if I already have the DVDs of those movies?

I wouldn't be in any hurry to get it.  I think they'll end up releasing a few different versions of the Star Trek movies on blue-ray with different features just like they did on DVD.

I bought some of them at a store and not too long after the special editions all came out.  So I took them back and sold them for store credit (this store buys back used DVD and CDs and resells them for pennies on the dollar) and bought the new ones.  

Maybe I'm just too cynical but I after buying the DVDs twice not too long ago I don't really see how these would be a big upgrade.

billybob476

I guess the easy test (if you've got a player) is to rent them and see what you think.

Rico

You can always expect "Star Trek" to be re-re-re-released for a very long time.  Especially with the success of the new movie.  I guess it all depends on what you want now and what you want to wait for.  I could easily a full Trek movie Blu-Ray set coming at some point.  Maybe even in a year or two before the next movie comes out.  Re-releases happen quite a bit.

Ktrek

Rico is probably right about a complete movie set coming some time in the future but I think I read that Paramount was not going to re-release these again for a couple of years. Of course that can change if the existing supply sells well.

And to answer your question Alan I would have to say that the Blu-Ray's are far superior over the DVDs. I have both now and I doubt I will ever watch the DVDs again. My only complaint so far is that Generations seemed a little darker than it should have been. Otherwise the set is great! On the extra special features disc there is a special about the closing of Star Trek The Experience that was very well done and quite moving. It had both my wife and I in tears.

Kevin

EDIT - I probably should comment about Star Trek season one and two on Blu-Ray. They are absolutely STUNNING! No other release can compare to the quality of transfer and the care that was put into these sets. The remastered sfxs are fabulous and really update the series. I'm looking forward to season three in December.

Geekyfanboy

I'm just one of those kinds of fans.. I'll buy the DVD's for the extras.. I have the TNG Movies on regular DVD, then SE DVD and now I'll have them on Blu-Ray. And if a super ultra collectors set comes out with more extras then I'll buy that was well.

Ktrek

We watched First Contact tonight and the picture is just beautiful. Clean, crisp and clear. The colors are stunning. I never noticed that the Borg queen had blinking lights in her head before. Has anyone ever noticed that on the standard DVDs?

Kevin

Feathers

Quote from: Ktrek on September 25, 2009, 07:57:43 PM
We watched First Contact tonight and the picture is just beautiful. Clean, crisp and clear. The colors are stunning. I never noticed that the Borg queen had blinking lights in her head before. Has anyone ever noticed that on the standard DVDs?

Kevin

She's got what? No, never seen that.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Rico

Hidden stuff on the Season Two - TOS Blu-Ray stuff:

Over a dozen Easter Eggs are hidden on the second season Blu-ray original series DVD set.

Fans who purchase the original series second season Blu-ray set will have some sleuthing to do, and a knowledge of Star Trek trivia will help when it comes to finding seven of the Easter Eggs.

Each disc has two Easter Eggs. One of the two Easter Eggs will be found in the usual way, searching the menu, but fans will have to put on their thinking caps for the second Easter Egg on each disk. The second Easter Egg will be found by using one's remote control to input a four-digit "access code". The following clues will help figure out which four-digit number to use:

* Disc 1 – The real life year in which Star Trek first aired on TV.
   * Disc 2 – The first year of the historic five-year mission of the USS Enterprise.
   * Disc 3 – Birth year of Spock.
   * Disc 4 – The original air date of The Trouble With Tribbles.
   * Disc 5 – Number found on the hull of the Enterprise.
   * Disc 6 – The year Shakespeare died as given in By Any Other Name.
   * Disc 7 – The year to which the crew time-travels in Assignment:Earth.

More info here and the answers to the above - if you need them:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Star-Trek-Seasons-2-and-3/12728