• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Star Trek: Season 10

Started by Jen, June 26, 2009, 08:48:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelby D

Joint Post by Jen, Wraith1701, Shelby Daelen, Just X and Hawkeyemeds (3 of 8 )

Like a trusty steed, the Presidio sat waiting in the Romulan shuttle bay.  Shelby rechecked the binding on the Romulan woman and locked the controls out as she moved back to the door to the runabout, through listening to the comm channel she knew some of the basics of where and what was going on with the away teams. The one exception was K'Tan and the doctor, she hadn't heard from them in a while. She just hoped that everyone would get back soon. There had been a few tremors coupled with the Romulan warning systems which told here that there wasn't much time. 

She tapped her com badge, "Shelby to D'Callan."

D'Callan glanced at the sole cardassian among the sea of romulans as he tapped his badge, "Go ahead Ensign."

Shelby eyed the unconscious Romulan, bound, bruised, and hopefully no longer a threat, "You know how you said be tactful and diplomatic?  Well..."

Joseph turned away from the listening Rayan, "Not now Ensign, D'Callan out."

Shelby sat back in the chair, about to speak, when she heard the transmission end. Slowly, she looked back at the woman. Fair enough, she thought.

Joseph increased his pace and shook his head.

"Trouble with the minors Lieutenant Commander?" Smirked Rayan.

D'Callan didn't look at him, "Nah, she's probably just wondering what to say to the owner of the pet snake she's been looking after. It died after it shed its skin. I'll get her ask you.. aye?"

Legate flicked his eyes at the smiling security chief, "Touchy, Mr D'Callan."

On the pristine bridge of the Arabella, Galdar and Frida jerked upright, moving like puppets controlled by a single string. With but a glance from the Captain, the Ferengi opened a channel to the away team.

"Galdar to James...Sir, we're looking at what appears to be the beginning of a cascade failure of the structural integrity of the Romulan ship. Left unchecked, singularity containment collapse won't be far behind."

Without waiting for an acknowledgement, Galdar nodded at Frida who transmitted all their data to the shuttle and any PADD's he could reach. The Lieutenant had worked with the Commander long enough to know how he operated so wasn't at all surprised when no response was forthcoming. Looking up to the view screen, the image of the disintegrating ship said it all.

Aeric didn't need to look around him or at the data burst received by his PADD to know that the ship was dying. He could feel it in his bones. Pausing to take a breath, he opened a broadband communication to the ship and his team. "Away team to Arabella. We are now en-route back to the Presidio with thirty-five survivors. We're going to need those transporters to actually carry some of the load we have here."

Joseph stood to one side and waved the passengers in. He looked up and smiled to himself " I love this job", the deck once again began to shake. "Move... come on, faster!" He looked ahead and could see that the tall Cardassian had stop to help a fallen Romulan.

Aeric shuttered as a high pitched whistling sound echoed in the halls of the faltering transport. The air flowed slightly faster over skin moistened from exertion. It was an almost cooling breeze, but the slight increase in comfort only revealed the darker truth. Containment of the singularity was failing and the whistling sound was from it devouring the atmosphere through a pinhole fault in the casing. Soon the hole would tear itself larger and fully begin the far too quick process of consuming the vessel.

Meds

Joint Post by Jen, Wraith1701, Shelby Daelen, Just X and Hawkeyemeds (4 of 8 )

Daelen was getting nervous it was as if the ship was starting to pull apart at the seems and she knew it. There was no way around not seeing it or feeling it. The ship started making strange noises that sent chills up her spine; she couldn't leave though. Tapping her combadge Shelby called out. "I think it is safe to say we've run out of time. Where are we at?"

Returning into the runabout the ensign started up the transporter and tried to lock onto anyone on the away mission. It was problematic at best and although she wasn't a dolt, she wasn't a transporter chief by any means. She needed help. Reaching up again she tapped her combadge and hoped that he could receive the signal, "Daelen to K'Tan what's your location."

"I'm right here!"  K'Tan rounded the corner, sprinted to the shuttle, and bent at the waist, hands on knees, trying to catch his breath.  After a few steadying inhalations, he straightened and adopted a more dignified posture.  "Our party got caught in a deck collapse. Commbadge damaged."

Turning around, Shelby immediately relinquished her chair to the man. "Are you OK?"

She stopped short of asking if anyone else was OK, for as much as she wanted to ask, now simply wasn't the time. She knew that he would tell her if there was anything she needed to know. Stepping back the woman gave him room to get himself situated.   

"I'm fine, just a little winded," K'Tan replied.  "Dr. Drett and a small party of Romulans are trapped near engineering.  We need to see about boosting the shuttle's transporter strength."

K'Tan stood to approach the transporter deck, then stopped short.  Bound to one of the shuttle's chairs was an unconscious Romulan woman.  Judging by her faint green bruises and those on Shelby's temple, there had been a bit of a scuffle. He shot a glance back at Daelen.  "Looks like you've had a bit of excitement in our absence." his eyes flicked briefly back at the form sitting secured in the chair.

"I had a bit of a tough time checking one of our guest in." Daelen gave the lieutenant Commander a knowing smirk. Her gaze briefly flipped from the still unconscious woman in the rear of the runabout then back to the Chief Operations officer.  The last thing she needed was for the Romulan to wake up and start more trouble. Then smoothly Daelen switched to business again. "How can I help you Sir?" 

K'Tan gave an inward sigh.  Seeing one of their number unconscious and tied up might cause some bad feelings among the other Romulans.  For now though, there were more pressing issues to be resolved.  "We need to try and tie into the Romulan ship's power core.  I need some extra EPS conduit."  K'Tan turned to the shuttle's replicator; right now, it was probably the lowest priority system on the Presidio.  "Could you remove the facing of the Replicator?  I need as much EPS cable as you can find."

"You've got it." Without another word the ensign moved across the ship and tinkered with the panel until it released from the wall and into her hands. Setting the facing aside the woman returned to the now bare opening in the wall and she began to pull out the glowing conduit.

As the ensign went about her task, K'Tan used his dagger to pry open a floor panel near the shuttle's transporter pad.  Uncoiling a length of the luminescent Electro Plasma System conduit, he began wrapping it around his forearm.

It took a while but she managed quite a bit of the needed conduit, carrying it over to K'Tan she nodded to him. "I can see if there are a few more low priority systems I can strip them from if you need more." 

"Thank you," K'Tan replied.  "I'm going to check the bay for a place to tap into."  As he headed to the exit, he turned back to Daelen. "My commbadge isn't working; please update Commander James, Chief D'Callan, and Dr. Drett."

K'Tan gave a meaningful look at the bound Romulan woman, then turned back to the ensign.  "A complete update."

"Wait Sir." before K'Tan could leave, Daelen moved to a panel and removed a combadge replacement.

Pausing for a second before he departed, the ensign tossed him a new combadge, which he traded with the out of service one. Then with a nod he was gone again to finish the reroutes. "Be ready to use the transporters." 

A nod then the woman tapped her badge, "Commander James, Chief D'Callan and Doctor Drett. This is Ensign Daelen, K'Tan is with me in the runabout. He is going to attempt to boost the power of the Presidio's transporters by tapping into the Romulan core. There may be some destabilization but if we work fast enough it will balance out."

wraith1701

Joint Post by Jen, wraith1701, Shelby Daelen, Just X and Hawkeyemeds (5 of 8 )

"Thank you ensign," replied James in a clipped voice as he moved to the nearest working control panel. His fingers rapidly moved over the Romulan glyphs in an attempt to access the power control systems.

Stylized glyphs shifted to a systems readout in standard Romulan. While the information was valuable, his senses told him that it wasn't the entire story. The fracture in the containment field had caused a micro distortion in subspace. It was this distortion that was the primary cause to the transporter issues. He would need to focus to come up with a solution. "Continue forward Mr. D'Callan. I'll join you shortly."

Aeric quietly returned his attention to the panel as the last of the Romulans moved past his position. He thoughts went back to the problem and what he knew of the facts. Transporters were at a fraction of their capacity and it was bound to get worse as the fracture expanded. They would be trapped in the middle of a storm without a umbrella.

An umbrella! he mused. Aeric tapped his communications badge and calmly spoke. "This is Commander James to away team and Arabella. Daelen, I am going to need K'Tan to get that extra power as quickly as possible. I need you to get to the engineering console and once that power is received, bring the warp engines online and create a static warp bubble with a point seven two negative variance and extend the warp field outwards ten meters or until the extra power is fully utilized. If my theory is correct, you will have the ability to begin mass transport of any lifeforms within the warp shell once the matter stream is refocused."

Already walking to the controls, Shelby gave an acknowledgement to the XO. Then she moved into the seat smoothly and pivoted her hands to the controls so she could began the calculations.

With one issue being resolved, Aeric addressed the Arabella. "Captain, we should be returning to the ship soon, but the Presido will not be joining us. I also recommend that you focus your own transporters to target the mass of life forms around Doctor Drett's location for a site to site transport to sickbay. D'Callan and his charges should already be within the projected range of the warp shell. James out."

Jen

Joint Post by Jen, wraith1701, Shelby Daelen, Just X and Hawkeyemeds (6 of 8 )

Upon returning to the shuttlebay, K'Tan whipped out his tricorder and began scanning for a power tap.  He was pleased to locate a junction just meters from the Presidio. About time we caught a break, he thought.  As he knelt to expose the tap, his tricorder eimitted a high-pitched beep that caught him off guard.  He glanced at it, then scowled.  More life signs?

K'Tan stood and slowly spun in place, trying to pinpoint the source of the reading.  As he turned, the intermittent beeping of the tricorder built into a steady, high pitched tone.  He looked up to find himself facing a maintenance closet.  I really do not have time for this! Switching off the tricorder's volume, K'Tan quietly approached the closet's closed door, and dialed up the gain on his scan.  He was surprised at the results--

One individual, life signs strong and steady, approximately one meter tall.  A child?  He quietly backed away from the door, and returned to the power tap. He spared the door a backward glance, and a shrug.  I guess the closet is as good a place to wait as any.  We'll just deal with our little friend once the transporter has been modified.

K'Tan wiped the perspiration from his hands, sleeved his brow dry, then eyed the port.  Designed to accommodate Romulan hardware, the fitting wasn't exactly a perfect match for the Starfleet-issue EPS cable.  His eyes turned to his tricorder.  I guess it's time to improvise.  With a frown of mild regret, K'Tan reversed his dak'tagh and brought the pommel down on the casing of the tricorder with a sharp CRACK.  Two more blows, and the casing began to split at the seam.  He then carefully pried the device apart, exposing it's inner workings. Slowly, he pried out a small, cylindrical component vaguely resembling a spool of highly-polished metallic thread.  [/i]Hopefully, a length of cord from the quantum accelerator will secure the fitting while withstanding the stress of the power flow[/i]. Known for its durability and conductivity, the tritanium cording felt cool and slick between his fingers.

K'Tan plunged the male end of the EPS cable into the Romulan fitting.  Immediately, the cable's glow intensified.  As the cable began to grow warm in his hands, K'Tan started rapidly wrapping loops of the tritanium cord around the connection.  As he looked at his jurry-rigged handiwork, K'Tan slowly shook his head with a self-deprecating smile.  This looks incredibly unsafe.

Seconds later, Ensign Daelen's voice rang out from the runabout.  "Whatever you're doing, it's working, Sir!  Power levels are steadily rising." With her fingers dancing across the controls, Shelby started re-routing the power to the proper relays on the shuttle's transporters. "I think we're close Sir."
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Meds

Joint Post by Jen, wraith1701, Shelby Daelen, Just X and Hawkeyemeds (7 of 8 )

Joseph checked his tricorder, "D'Callan to Daelen. My group is roughly 20 meters away, but we're slowing down. We have some minor injuries and having to double back to avoid damaged sections of the ship. As soon as we're in the ten meter mark, activate that warp field."

Hearing Joseph's voice over the badge, Shelby flicked her delicate fingers over to the control panel and managed to isolate the chief's communicator locked. She knew he would now be at the back of the group and would be one of the last to transport out. She had to inform him about the 'guest' in the shuttle craft. "Understood Chief." Pausing to make sure she said this delicately, the ensign said slowly, "Sir, there's something you need to know." There was another pause. "I have an unconscious Romulan sitting with me."

"Take care of it, you know what to do. There are lots of injured people on this ship." Inwardly D'Callan had his suspicions as to why the woman was stating it so simply. D'Callan coughed slightly and shouted to the people in front of him, "Keep moving forward! We're working on getting a transporter lock on you."

A suspicious eye fell on the chief from the Cardassian officer, "Legate Rayan, good work with that casualty."

The Legate smiled, although obviously not convinced D'Callan meant his statement as a complement. The Cardassian nodded and returned to attend the tired Romulan he had been carrying.

Joseph backed off slightly so no one could hear his conversation, "Go ahead Daelen. What's happened?"

Shelby eyed the Romulan woman. "She came from behind Sir— tried to attack me. I managed to hold her off, but we both have a few bruises...this wasn't good Sir."

D'Callan put his hand along his jawline, pondering the next move. "OK, take the emergency med-kit from the shuttles reserve unit. Give her a mild hypospray anesthetic, then bandage part of her face up. If anyone asks, she was injured during the rescue. Don't beam her out right away. One of us will go with her when the time comes."

Rising from the seat Shelby crossed to the reserves panel and pulled out the med-kit, "Understood Sir." Turning to look at the figure in the chair she tilted her head once and said to herself. "Never stops around here." 

"Oh and Shelby, good work," D'Callan quickly replied before he rushed to catch up the group.

Approaching the unconscious woman, Daelen knew that she could easily be faking her state of awareness. Sadly enough, she would do the same thing. Still Shelby had to do this and time was running out. Holding the hypospray firmly, she rushed in and administered it to the woman. Upon ensuring that it was working, via a tri-corder, Shelby began to bandage up part of the woman's face so that she would not be easily identified. Then the ensign found a blanket and made it appear as if her Romulan captive was more infirmed than she really was. When she was finished, the feisty Romulan woman was not recognizable, without digging a little, and that was good enough for her. 

Shelby moved back to the wrap engine controls. It looked as though the runabout was almost up to full capacity and soon it would have enough power. Whatever K'Tan had done had worked. Smiling, the woman re-checked the final computations then tapped her com-badge. "Commander James, I am going to bring the engines on-line and create the static warp bubble." Then she addressed Joseph, "Commander D'Callan, please prepare yourself. This should take just a moment and on my mark....3...2...1, mark." Taping the console, Daelen began to hear the engines responding to her as she prepared the commands for the system.   

Joseph check his tricorder and watched as the reading shifted to indicate the creation of the warp field. Joseph waited and let his eye drift about the ship. It shook once again, creating more debris and more sparks... they were cutting it close. "D'Callan to James, the warp field is active and we are safely within the perimeter. Are you in need of any assistance in your area?"

"I'm fine Mr. D'Callan...standby for transport." Aeric said and adjusted the pattern enhancer contained within the tech of his uniform. "I'm in route to the runabout to gather my gear while I perform a final walk through."

"James to away team and Arabella," Aeric started. "Doctor, please standby for site to site transport to sickbay with all Romulan causalities. This will be followed by the transport of all remaining survivors and away team members to the cargo bay."

"Understood, Commander," came Ryla's tight reply as she returned the stare of the Romulans grouped about her.

With that being said, Aeric tapped his badge again to open communications with the Presidio's computer and spoke, "James to Presidio and Arabella, begin rapid transport of all lifeforms within Doctor Drett's and Lieutenant Commander D'Callan's position to predetermined locations."

"Working," replied the voice of the computer. Milliseconds later, the automated transporters of the Presido activated in conjunction with the transporter operators aboard the Arabella and began moving the lifeforms from the crippled ship.

The smoke-filled darkened corridor that encompassed Ryla and her patients, soon transitioned to the pristine brightness of Main Sickbay. As she solidified, Doctor Drett instantly snapped orders to prep Nevash for surgery. Doctor Myella Peterson moved quickly to the Romulan's side—the fabric of the Senator's tunic was soaked green with blood. It was obviously a critical wound, but the redheaded physician could not spare the time to wonder how the patient acquired it.  Aided by Commander Peterson, a former medical officer who came to Sickbay to help where needed, Myella carefully moved the woman to a biobed.  Nurse Caine and several med techs, buzzed about the survivors whose injuries who were not as serious. The casualties totaled eight in all and their injuries ranged from stab wounds and head wounds to burns, cuts and bruises—all of which the staff was well prepared to treat. Ryla's only concern was for the pale, gaunt figure lying before her. The Senator had lost a large volume of blood and her evacuation had not been timely.

X

Joint Post by Jen, wraith1701, Shelby Daelen, Just X and Hawkeyemeds (8 of 8 )

D'Callan watched as a bright yellow light began to whirl around several of the Romulan people and Legate Rayan. The transport beam took a bit loger than usual, but they soon disappeared. "Ok everyone, looks like we're on our way out of here. Stay calm. "

In that brief respite, he thought about the Romulan aboard the shuttle "D'callan to Commander James, we have an unconscious Romulan aboard the shuttle, Ensign Daelen was attacked whilst on guard. Nothing too problematic, but I suggest we have her beamed aboard with either myself or Dealen for security reasons."

"Understood," Aeric replied in measured breaths. "Route her transport to the brig and have a medic treat her wounds and have the officers there look after her until she can speak with the Captain. I need you to get onsite and make sure that there are no diplomatic incidents between our guests and security."

"On it Sir, D'Callan out. D'Callan to Daelen,"

"Daelen here," she said, diverting her eyes from the readouts, which weren't looking particularly good to her. "Go ahead."

"K'Tan is on his way. Beam out with your guest as soon as you can. Get your new friend off to the Brig... quietly and with NO incident. I'm heading back with the last of the Romulans, D'Callan out." Joseph walked to the remaining Romulan evacuees; he paused for a moment.

"D'Callan to K'Tan, Dealen will be leaving as soon as she can. You still owe me that beer big fella. I'll see you back on the ship, Joe out." Joseph turned and looked at one of the romulans. A older man who nodded gently as the yellow beam of the transporter wrapped around them.

"James to K'Tan, I am in route to your position. Make sure you're ready to go. If there is anything aboard the Presido that can't be replicated, I suggest you get it to the Arabella. Also include the microtorpedo stores and any other hardware we can salvage without compromising your work."

Just another day at the office, the XO thought to himself while moving through the deserted and debris strewn corridors. If not for the imminent death that would follow should they stay any longer, it reminded him of the destructive potential of three half vulcan children when they were fully committed to their play. When the formally slight suction effect increased to a true breeze, even battle hardened nerves became strained and the once calm walk turned into a brisk jog.  

Sitting in the chair, the runabout began to shake and rumble under her. Spreading her hands firmly against the controls for balance and a piece of mind Daelen shifted her eyes back up to the screens and readouts. The containment field was starting to show signs of collapse.

Rising, Shelby moved back to the cargo area where the romulan woman was still unconscious. Unsecuring her she slung her arm across her shoulder and she limped them to the door. "Time to go princess...." Dropping down onto the cargo bay floor, Shelby nearly lost her footing from the uneven distribution of supporting the woman.  

Aeric smiled as he saw the open doors of the shuttle bay. A badge tap later, he spoke, "James to Daelen. I'm seconds away from the shuttle bay, you are clear to leave with your prisoner."

Tapping her combadge, "Daelen to Arabella two to beam over to the brig." Holding the limp form, the scene before the ensign shimmered gold and she felt the odd sensation of being transported. They were gone, leaving only three remaining lifeforms on the dying ship.

Shelby D

Joint post by Meds & Crystal

Daelen gazed at the transporter tech, while D'Callan stepped up onto the padd and he took the unconscious prisoner. "Three to beam directly to the brig."

Within moments the trio were there, the Chief looked around for the requested
medic, he tapped his com badge. "D'Callan to Nurse Caine are you on
your way?" he said simultaneously as the young Ensign ran into the room, out of breath.

The nurse looked up and offered "Sorry, sorry...Sir.... busy with Dr Drett, lots of . . . .patients..." Panting but clearly eager to get her work done the  young girl spotted the Romulan and her eyes got slightly bigger.

Shelby could sense the questions coming and she averted them.

"She isn't hurt that badly..." Daelen said as D'Callan and her escorted the sedated Romulan between them; in case the woman awoke.

When they reached the cell Joseph signaled for Shelby to wait outside; while he and the tech entered.  D'Callan placed the unconscious woman on the hard wall-cot and he stepped back; stepping back to allow the tech to unbundled and check the minor 'fight related' injuries on the figure.

When Caine was done, she pivoted to the Chief and announced, "A few bumps and bruises Sir, nothing else."

D'Callan smiled at the nurse as they walked out into the hallway. "Thank you Ensign, make your report to the good Doctor"

Turning to Daelen he raised an eyebrow and leaned against the wall. "So, care to explain? Did she beat you at poker or did she out run you, hmmmm?"

The scrape along the side of her temple hurt when she narrowed her eyes at the man, but she ignored it. The second the nurse was gone and Shelby made sure no one else was in range she moved in near him and gave him a frosty stare. "Sometimes you're just not that funny." she was more than ready to walk past the frustrating man.

D'Callan reached out with his finger and stopped her.

In response, her exotic eyes shifted down to his finger then up into his more than questioning expression. "You can read it in my report. 'Sir'"

"Ensign Daelen, I'm not sure you took this mission seriously. The XO was very clear."

"I 'did' take this mission seriously. Sir" She said firmly as she stood her ground. "She attacked me without provocation or reason."

Pushing off from the wall D'Callan stepped closer to Shelby, reading her reaction as well as seeing the fire and steel which simmered below the surface. Then in a unexpected move Joseph reached up, placed his finger along her cheek lightly, and he turned her head just a bit; checking the  wound. "Let me look at that...." He studied it; it wasn't anything to worry about.

"I - I'm fine..." The unprecedented touch threw Shelby off-guard, her startled gaze found his inquisitive stare, then she quickly moved her eyes away.

Lowering his finger away from her cheek Joseph found himself surprised at his actions as well, subsequently, he placed his hands behind his back. "Keep checking on her, see if she's calmed down and willing to talk."

"She isn't going to. I can tell you that..." Her attention return to the cell then back to the man before her.

Joseph smiled, "See yourself in her do you?" He walked to the force field and glared at the Romulan.

About to defend herself, Daelen didn't get that far.

"Difference is Shelby, you're better." He turned his head slightly. "Did you see the Cardassian?" His eyes looked dark, drifting deep in thought.

She shook her head.

"No......a Cardassian on a Romulan ship....but..." He looked at her and again gave a slight smile. "Doesn't matter. Call me when she wakes up"

Puzzled by the man, Shelby followed the chief with her gaze as he walked towards the door, many questions filled her thoughts. Some she didn't even know where they were coming from. Her lips parted but she stopped short.

D'Callan paused slightly at the door, then he left.

Meds

Joseph walked down the corridor and breathed in the sweet smelling air "ah better than burnt metal" his thoughts drifted to Shelby, he smiled but the thought was suddenly swamped with darkness. The Cardassian appeared in those thoughts. He knew he was not the only one on this ship who'd been hurt by this particular race. His mother came sweeping into his memory, it was a distant memory but an important one all the same. Her funeral took place in the D'Callan family grounds. His father wept, his brother wept but Joseph stood firm 'don't show emotion, don't give your game away'. The only thoughts that came into his mind as the flower covered coffin descended into the ground was the Cardassian ship that killed her. His mother, a medic was reviving a young girl, she'd just got her back and was holding her as the blast hit her from behind. The evac team found Chloe D'Callan dead but covering the weeping child. Joseph shook his head and was back on the Arabella. 'At least the child was safe, he knew his mother hadn't died in vain, the child had become an excellent nurse'.

Bryancd

Joint posy by Shelby and Bryancd

Nalah awoke with a start, her hands lashing out at an unseen attacker. Her fist struck the wall of the detention cell sending a surge of pain shooting down her arm. She swung off the simple bed in a single motion and landed crouched and ready. Through the haze and hum of a detention force field stood a Romulan women in a Starfleet uniform leaning against the wall observing Nalah with a curious and bemused expression.

"Feel better, now?" Shelby asked.

Nalah slowly stood, her memory returning. This was the woman she had fought and clearly had lost to.

"You wear the uniform of the lloannen'galae," Nalah spat in reply.

A half smirk played with the edges of the woman's lips, as her eyes narrowed slightly, displaying her distrust of the woman in the cell. "There is food for you there. Take it or leave it." her voice didn't waver.

As the ensign stood there, Nalah began to study her features, something was different, odd; then it hit her. "Hevamsu aehallh!" Nalah said. This was an abomination, a halfbreed a disgrace to Romulan's.

The moment the words came out, Shelby stiffened; she was a young girl again being mocked by her peers. "Areinnye´n - hnah"

Nalah grinned with a degree of satisfaction that she had been able to effect the woman's calm demeanor. "Why have you brought me here?"

Realizing that she had lost this round to the woman, Shelby stared at the woman, "We brought you here because your ship is no more. I presumed that you did not prefer death. Was I wrong?"

A sneer escaped as the woman stepped closer to the field. While as she glared at the ensign before her, the slight crackling of the discharge made a low sound. "I hope the filthy deihu on the ship failed to escape," she said making reference to the politicians she had seen on board.

"I have no knowledge of the survivors outside of you."

"It is of no matter, MY people," Nalah said in an effort to continue to alienate Shelby from her Romulan half, "will be better off without the old guard. There ways led to the downfall of my culture....and abominations such as yourself."

Shelby ignored the comment. Keeping her gaze un"What is your name?"

Nalah stood a bit straighter and looked her in the eyes. "My name is Nalah...Nalah Jarok." It was as much a statement as a challenge.

Shelby stared at the woman silently for a moment, then a quizzical expression crossed her face as she moved for the first time from where she stood. Moving single pace across the front of the cell Daelen paused and for a second she was sure she saw...a fear flash instantly in the woman's harsh stare.

Turning to face the Romulan woman across from her, Shelby let one corner of her lip curl upwards with an almost satisfactory like quality to it. "Jarok you say...."

The Romulan spat string of curses that would make the rudest, crudest, warrior in the Empire shudder before the ensign said anything more. She saw the fire and pain in Nalah's eye's, a feeling she knew all to well.

Tilting her head curiously Shelby spoke with calm, "Interesting how that worked..." Lifting her hand, she crossed it passed her phaser ever so slowly.

Nalah's eyes watched her every move.

The officer then purposely lifted her hand higher and she tapped her combadge, while she walked away from the cell and spoke. "Daelen to Lieutenant Commander D'Callan."

"Go for D'Callan." Came the Chiefs voice.

"When you get a moment our 'guest' has regained consciousness."

"On my way. D'Callan out."

Feathers

In shuttle bay 2, Lieutenant Commander Tolok stood to one side of the door, watching as the passengers and crew of the now abandoned freighter were escorted into the new accommodations. The space would cater for far more than their small number, but these were the people who would put the efficiencies of his team's initial work to the test. Given the amount of time that had been made available for the conversion exercise, it was as well that the inhabitants were to be Romulan. Had a more...exotic species such as Bolians been in need of these accommodations, the changes would have been somewhat more of a challenge.

The transformation of the bay was far from complete, of course, but most of the major adjustments and service provisions had been finished. The more cosmetic of the construction work could proceed more slowly, at least in the areas where people were not initially required to be living.

With the power balancing for this section of the ship now completed and the new demands of habitation accommodated. Tolok took a final look about the bay before turning for the door to head back to engineering and relieve Lieutenant Garriss of his watching brief.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Allen

Herm stood in frustration and left the shuttle bay to try to get to the temporary housing that had been prepared for their Romulan guests.

"Should have just stayed in the transporter room!", he thought, remembering his ignorance of the original message.

Now he had missed an opportunity. He knew working with a crew that had been together for so long and had been through so much would be difficult, but he didn't realize that he'd be left out of the loop entirely. He'd have to be a little more aggressive if he wanted to get his job done.

He rounded the corner to see security was already posted outside the bay-turned-housing.

Hopefully they wouldn't hassle him too much.
When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain

wraith1701

K'Tan stood on the deck of the dying ship, and looked on as the last group of evacuees beamed out.  The hum of the cascading light shower peaked, momentarily bathing the darkened hanger bay in a soft blue glow, then slowly subsided.  The last of the matter stream faded away, returning the room to its previous bleakness.  The gloomy chamber's darkness was broken only by the regular strobing of the green  alarm lights. 

A familiar set of footfalls echoed behind K'Tan; he acknowledged without turning.  "That's almost all of them, Sir."

Commander James drew up to him.  "What do you mean by 'almost', Mr. K'Tan?" 

K'Tan gave a slight nod towards the distant maintenance door.  "I believe there's a child hiding in that closet.  I was hoping that one of our guests would ask about their missing offspring, and take possession of the child."  K'Tan gave a disappointed sigh.  "But, based on the lack of inquiry, I assume that the parents are dead."

X

Aeric nodded slowly, "It's a situation that we might have in common if we don't leave soon."

"It also is subject that you are more qualified with than I am," Aeric added and moved towards the runabout. "I'll stabilize the system while you convince this child to come with us. Remember to use your friendly face K'Tan."

Without another word, Aeric moved to the runabout and began working to stabilize the system and transport the ordinance of the runabout back to the Arabella. With her power systems now tied to the Romulan craft, it would be much safer to sacrifice the smaller craft and use it's auto-destruct for a controlled detonation of the larger transport. "Computer, set auto destruct sequence for a ten minute detonation at my mark. Authorization code: James Alpha Alpha Three Alpha Gamma One Seven Two Gamma Gamma Rok. Engage."

"Authorization code accepted. Destruction countdown available at your command." Replied the calm voice of the computer.

wraith1701

The Arabella held station, drifting slightly, her arrowhead prow pointed at the distant, ruined hulk of the Romulan vessel.  The small but powerful Intrepid variant gleamed dully in the reflected starlight, her pale, feather-grey hull almost white in appearance compared to the inky darkness surrounding her.  Her reconfigurable warp pylons were held parallel to her body, swept out straight to her sides like the wings of a bird in mid-glide.

The stars behind her shone like minuscule rips in the fabric of space, spilling their light into the darkness.  Unobscured by the effects of atmosphere, their light was strong and steady, with none of the twinkle caused by diffraction. 

...Except in one small, distant patch  behind the two starships.  For just an eyeblink, a small patch of the stars seemed to waver, momentarily winking out of sight as if blocked by a passing object.  The effect was transitory; seconds later, the incongruity faded away, returning the starscape to its formerly unmarred purity...

"REPORT!"

The angry command echoed within the ship's darkened, red-infused bridge.  In answer, the Klingon manning tactical looked up with an uncharacteristically sheepish expression.  "My apologies, captain KoraQ'.  In my attempt to extend our scans of the Federation and Romulan ships, power was temporarily diverted from our cloak. I have corrected the problem."

KoraQ' leaped up from the command throne.  Like a tornado of flying hair and creaking armor, he stormed to the tactical station.  The hulking Klingon's steel-clad boots echoed off of the metal deck-plating like gunshots.  He loomed over the tactical officer, his voice in a low, dangerous snarl.  "Your incompetence threatens our mission!  Explain to me why I shouldn't relieve you of duty."

To his credit, the tactical officer displayed no fear as he stood and returned his commander's fierce glare.  "I will not hide behind excuses, sir," he snarled.  "I am prepared to face whatever punishment the captain feels is required."

His expression inscrutable, KoraQ drew his d'k tahg, and in one fluid motion, promptly plunged it into the tactical officer's chest.  With his free hand grasping the man's shoulder, KoraQ' stared into his dimming eyes.  "You are incompetent, but your courage is commendable.  Perhaps one day, you will find your way to Sto-Vo-Kor."  As the life faded from the officer's eyes, KoraQ released him. 

"You are relived of duty," he muttered as the corpse hit the deck.

X

"Computer, purge contents of removable memory core and begin downloading of Romulan replicator database and navigational charts to the core." Aeric said after initiating a bypass to the failing freighter. It wasn't exactly what he has initially wanted to bring back to the ship, but it was better than returning home empty handed.

"Working." the computer replied.

Aeric nodded to himself and looked over the readings. They had less than thirty minutes before they couldn't no longer use a controlled explosion to scuttle the transport safely and ten minutes for the transfer to be completed. It was plenty of time baring any further problems with the ship.