• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

"STAR TREK Into Darkness" - 2013

Started by Rico, June 17, 2009, 04:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Also, don't forget Noel Clarke (Mickey from Doctor Who) is in this movie and he is a Brit too.  Dang it - they are taking over!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0164929/

billybob476

Looks like we're getting the teaser trailer online Dec 6th, that's in two days!

QuoteWith yesterday's reveal of the new Star Trek Into Darkness poster there were also updates to official Star Trek Facebook pages around the world, generally showing off the new poster. However the official French Facebook page also made mention of a new trailer coming online on December 6th. TrekMovie has confirmed this is true and that a teaser trailer of about a minute or so in length will debut online on December 6th, and will be available to download worldwide. This teaser is intended to be an online exclusive so it is not expected to be shown in theaters

http://trekmovie.com/2012/12/04/exclusive-into-darkness-teaser-to-debut-online-december-6th-longer-trailer-in-theaters-dec-14th/

Bryancd

billybob476

Meds

Yes, yes we are taking over (we always do that, until people get bored and have a civil  war lol ;)  )

wraith1701

Based on statements that the movie will feature a TOS villain, it seems the consensus is that it will be either Khan or Mitchell.  Rico's evidence, (as well as the official promo verbage and the new poster) seem to point firmly at it being Mitchell.

Khan was an epic foe, but with ST: TWOK, it was more a personal grudge between Khan & Kirk than any immediate overt threat to the Federation.  Also, a big part of what worked with Wrath Of Khan was the set-up: Most TOS fans were aware of Khan as being "that super-guy from the episode space seed". 

With the re-boot, there has been no backstory established for Khan.  As a matter of fact, at this early stage in Kirk's career, he hasn't even encountered the Botany Bay yet.  Of course, it's possible that JJ plans for this to be a big-screen reimagining of the old Space Seed episode in which they first encounter Khan...

Mitchell just seems to be a better fit to me.  First of all, it's a storyline and character that's familiar enough to TOS fans to at least partially satisfy our craving for continuity and our need for things to play out the way we remember them.  This connection gives the movie legitimacy, for lack of a better word.  At the same time, the Mitchell story is unknown to many new fans, so it has the potential to be more dramatically satisfying than a retelling of TWOK would be. 

Also, Mitchell was introduced early on in the run of TOS.  It's been a while, but I think it was like episode 3 or 4 of season 1, right?  Anyway, the character was introduced without the viewers having any backstory on him; all we knew was that he was a somewhat quirky helmsman who was friends with Kirk before he took command of the Enterprise.  This type of character would be easier to introduce into the new timeline than a character like Khan. 

Finally, the threat posed in the new movie is supposed to be some Huge, Epic Threat that poses a danger to the entire Federation.  That seems more like Gary Mitchell than Khan to me. 

X

Quote from: wraith1701 on December 04, 2012, 07:20:56 PM
Based on statements that the movie will feature a TOS villain, it seems the consensus is that it will be either Khan or Mitchell.  Rico's evidence, (as well as the official promo verbage and the new poster) seem to point firmly at it being Mitchell.

Khan was an epic foe, but with ST: TWOK, it was more a personal grudge between Khan & Kirk than any immediate overt threat to the Federation.  Also, a big part of what worked with Wrath Of Khan was the set-up: Most TOS fans were aware of Khan as being "that super-guy from the episode space seed". 

With the re-boot, there has been no backstory established for Khan.  As a matter of fact, at this early stage in Kirk's career, he hasn't even encountered the Botany Bay yet.  Of course, it's possible that JJ plans for this to be a big-screen reimagining of the old Space Seed episode in which they first encounter Khan...

Mitchell just seems to be a better fit to me.  First of all, it's a storyline and character that's familiar enough to TOS fans to at least partially satisfy our craving for continuity and our need for things to play out the way we remember them.  This connection gives the movie legitimacy, for lack of a better word.  At the same time, the Mitchell story is unknown to many new fans, so it has the potential to be more dramatically satisfying than a retelling of TWOK would be. 

Also, Mitchell was introduced early on in the run of TOS.  It's been a while, but I think it was like episode 3 or 4 of season 1, right?  Anyway, the character was introduced without the viewers having any backstory on him; all we knew was that he was a somewhat quirky helmsman who was friends with Kirk before he took command of the Enterprise.  This type of character would be easier to introduce into the new timeline than a character like Khan. 

Finally, the threat posed in the new movie is supposed to be some Huge, Epic Threat that poses a danger to the entire Federation.  That seems more like Gary Mitchell than Khan to me. 
It was the the second pilot but the 3rd episode.

davekill

Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on December 04, 2012, 01:29:54 PM
Yes, yes we are taking over (we always do that, until people get bored and have a civil  war lol ;)  )
On the old 'Make it So' podcast with Richard Smith and Will Tristrom, Rich had announced on the 4th of July to his fans here in the states "Your independence is being officially revoked!"  :roflmao

Kirk left Mitchell dead and buried under a pile of rocks.

Anyone suspect it being Garth of Izar?

X

Could be Trelane ANd how's this for grasping for straws?

They have similar coats and hair styles.

Squire of Gothos ... sorta like gothic ... Goths are pretty dark people.

Also similar accents.

Lastly, Trelane hasn't  been seen in the comic series but Gary mitchell has.

Ensign Random

I am thinking it's Mitchell also. When I first saw that pilot as a kid, I remember being frightened because he was truly powerful AND scary. Khan didn't have that effect.

Trelane could be possible...but that character is too Q-like, I think.
"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
http://smartgirlsscifi.wordpress.com
@mrsbookmark

wraith1701

Quote from: davekill on December 04, 2012, 07:54:25 PM
Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on December 04, 2012, 01:29:54 PM
On the old 'Make it So' podcast with Richard Smith and Will Tristrom, Rich had announced on the 4th of July to his fans here in the states "Your independence is being officially revoked!"  :roflmao

Kirk left Mitchell dead and buried under a pile of rocks.

Yep; the episode concludes with us assuming Mitchell is dead.  But that's beside the point. If the movie is about Mitchell, I doubt it would start off after the old TOS episode ends.  The story would be about Mitchell getting his weird, godly powers, and about how absolute power corrupts absolutely.   And Mitchell was scary-powerful.  Other than those brief moments when he became temporarily normal, the dude was comparable to Q from TNG.  That kind of power being wielded by a flawed sociopath is a frightening prospect.  Much more frightening than a genetically enhanced madman. 

Anyone suspect it being Garth of Izar?
QuoteCould be Trelane

You guys are right; it could be either one of those.  I guess we'll know a little more once the online trailer airs in a couple of days.  :)

wraith1701

Quote from: Ensign Random on December 04, 2012, 08:12:19 PM

I am thinking it's Mitchell also. When I first saw that pilot as a kid, I remember being frightened because he was truly powerful AND scary. Khan didn't have that effect.

Trelane could be possible...but that character is too Q-like, I think.

Yeah, Mitchell was a scary son of a gun; especially with those freaky silver eyes. 

But who knows.  JJ might surprise us all and come up with something that we haven't even considered yet, but will seem totally obvious in hind sight.  :)

davekill

There were a lot of villains in TOS.
As a fallen hero, Garth had an interesting history in Starfleet.
Maybe they can get back to him at a later time

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Garth_of_Izar

WillEagle

I was thinking Trelane too. That would be an interesting choice.

Bryancd

I don't feel like going back through the whole thread but haven't the films makers already said it one of these four: Trelane, Mudd, Khan, Mitchell? Am I remebering that right?