• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

"STAR TREK Into Darkness" - 2013

Started by Rico, June 17, 2009, 04:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryancd

Yeah, I mean this is pretty clear and considering the source, likely valid:

"Bryan Burk: Sequel will be original, unique and different

Star Trek producer Bryan Burk offered a similar, albeit more concrete response, saying they chose "to do something we thought would be original and unique and different" for the sequel adding: "I think on paper, we made the right choice. Now we have to go shoot."

Dangelus

Doesn't have to be so original, unique and different this time. I wouldn't mnd getting my warp drive, phasers and star dates back ;)

Rico

Quote from: Dangelus on December 14, 2011, 08:19:56 AM
Doesn't have to be so original, unique and different this time. I wouldn't mnd getting my warp drive, phasers and star dates back ;)

Dan - did you somehow miss the warping around the galaxy and phasers firing in the 2009 film?

Dangelus

Quote from: Rico on December 14, 2011, 08:35:51 AM

Dan - did you somehow miss the warping around the galaxy and phasers firing in the 2009 film?

Yes, what I saw were blasters and hyper drive.

X

Quote from: Dangelus on December 14, 2011, 08:40:04 AM

That would almost be true if the Warp and phaser effects didn't change with every movie series and every tv series. It also makes sense that if you are creating a bubble of space distortion around you, visibility would be something of an issue.

Dangelus

Quote from: X on December 14, 2011, 10:31:31 AM

That would almost be true if the Warp and phaser effects didn't change with every movie series and every tv series. It also makes sense that if you are creating a bubble of space distortion around you, visibility would be something of an issue.

Phasers are generally portrayed as a continuous stream of energy despite various differences in the effects. The phasers in the 2009 movie seem to work a lot more like Star Wars blasters (with their short little bursts) IMHO. Even the SHIP phasers were portrayed like this which I didn't like. The only example of this sort of effect on ship phasers I can think of was on the Defiant. Not saying its "wrong" just not my preference.

I was annoyed by how warping worked because it was so quick like a BSG hyper drive "wink". Also it is implied that they have no sensors while at warp (the only way I can explain them coming out of warp into a major debris field).

X

Quote from: Dangelus on December 14, 2011, 11:19:28 AM
Quote from: X on December 14, 2011, 10:31:31 AM

Phasers are generally portrayed as a continuous stream of energy despite various differences in the effects. The phasers in the 2009 movie seem to work a lot more like Star Wars blasters (with their short little bursts) IMHO. Even the SHIP phasers were portrayed like this which I didn't like. The only example of this sort of effect on ship phasers I can think of was on the Defiant. Not saying its "wrong" just not my preference.

I was annoyed by how warping worked because it was so quick like a BSG hyper drive "wink". Also it is implied that they have no sensors while at warp (the only way I can explain them coming out of warp into a major debris field).
Good points and allow me to counter them. Later trek, DS9 specifically used the pulse because it's more powerful. It's also better a better cinematic. If we actually used the continuous beam effect as it would display, no one would ever miss in trek because you can just walk the beam to your target like a giant lightsaber. It also would allow for more shots and less overheating in story.

As for the warp, it was shown on screen that it takes time to travel. Time did pass when they were doing their thing. Bones managed to check in and change clothing after getting Jim aboard. It wasn't instant at all, it as just cut to where unimportant time passing wasn't displayed. It also makes just a tad more sense from the physics side. I don't think that any of these changes were done just to do them, they all make some sense.

I think it also makes sense to differentiate Phasers from Lasers. Phasers have far more going for them and having the burst ability really does set it apart from the laser that was imported and renamed after the failed TOS pilot. I think we've come far enough with our tech to make the effect work better. I also think that it's something Gene might have approved of given how he changed the romulans and klingons because the cost for the effects became more cost effective.

Dangelus

Yep, I agree with what you say. It is more cinematic etc and there is absolutely nothing wrong with these changes. For me it just takes me out of my Trek comfort zone, takes me out of the universe I'm used too which I suppose is literally what they are doing. :)

X

Quote from: Dangelus on December 14, 2011, 12:16:42 PM
Yep, I agree with what you say. It is more cinematic etc and there is absolutely nothing wrong with these changes. For me it just takes me out of my Trek comfort zone, takes me out of the universe I'm used too which I suppose is literally what they are doing. :)

LOL! Yeah, that's exactly it.

DrKankles

All excellent points.  But I want my phasers anyway.  If we are going to operate on Star Trek Logic why not keep my friendly phasers.  Also a nitpick with the phasers, please do away with the blue for stun, red for kill hand phaser thing... that was difficult to watch. 

I don't think it bothered as me as much until I listened to the commentary, that really burned me up a little... This is an homage to star wars, they did this on star wars... I know it's fan boy whining, but I don't care.  But I still enjoy the hell out of it, and I hope his star trek 2 is his khan in terms of quality.

Jeff :usflag

Data

Dan ...... I know where you are coming from, we as trek fans have all watched things like phasers and the way the starships warp developed over the many years of trek.
The emotional attachment is so strong its a bit of a ask to take it all in.

I feel like I have been a part of these things in the trek timeline but all in all I need to keep focus on the fact that if i don't go with the changes then I'm missing out on the overall enjoyment.

I love the new movie but I'm with Dan I miss the small touches that make me think THIS IS OUR TREK!!!!!!! but who is to say we won't see new ideas in the new movie.

Is it wrong to keep wishing for things to be the way they used to be? ;)

"Commander. You just sit tight. We'll have this all fixed up in time for supper. "

Rico

One thing I find a bit odd is you guys talk about missing the way phasers shoot or the way the Enterprise warps, but I think you might be missing a few bigger things.  Like NEW actors for all the TOS characters!  Once I saw that I had no trouble thinking of this as a different version of Trek.  :)

KingIsaacLinksr

Personally, I still have difficulty believing that Pine is Kirk.  But I guess that's how Shatner played the part that's throwing me.

*oh well* *shrug*

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

QuadShot

Quote from: KingIsaacLinksr on December 15, 2011, 10:51:09 AM
Personally, I still have difficulty believing that Pine is Kirk.  But I guess that's how Shatner played the part that's throwing me.

*oh well* *shrug*

King

What's wrong with Chris Pine? I thought he was fantastic as Kirk...

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: QuadShot on December 15, 2011, 11:03:41 AM
Quote from: KingIsaacLinksr on December 15, 2011, 10:51:09 AM

*oh well* *shrug*

King

What's wrong with Chris Pine? I thought he was fantastic as Kirk...

I'm just not sure.   Its just that I don't see Kirk out of Pine like I do spock out of Quinto....

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr