• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

"STAR TREK Into Darkness" - 2013

Started by Rico, June 17, 2009, 04:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

An exclusive movie update over at Trek movie has some good news:

- Filming is set to start on Jan. 15, 2012
- Hawaii might be used for a "jungle planet" location (we know JJ loves Hawaii, aka "Lost")
- 3rd draft of the script is done
- A museum in L.A. may be used for a "famous" Trek location
- more casting news to come

Now I'm starting to get excited!

Full article:
http://trekmovie.com/2011/11/16/exclusive-star-trek-sequel-filming-starts-january-15th-locations-pre-production-update/

Bryancd

My guess for the L.A. museum location...the new Engine room! ;)

Rico

Some more news - not completely official, but pretty darn close.

Release date:  May 17, 2013
And in 3D!

Star Trek sequel in 3D – May 17, 2013

TrekMovie has confirmed a report at Deadline that Paramount Pictures has officially picked Friday May 17th, 2013 as a release date for JJ Abrams Star Trek sequel. The choice is to take advantage of Sony recently moving Roland Emmerich's Singularity away from that date to to Nov 1, 2013. The May would give Star Trek a prime spot in the pre-Memorial Day Weekend. This date falls four years and one week after the May 8, 2009 release date of JJ Abrams Star Trek.

TrekMovie has also confirmed that the Star Trek sequel will be released in 3D. A trusted source tells TrekMovie that the studio feels 3D will be helpful in overseas sales for the film. Star Trek films have traditionally not done as well overseas as other tentpoles and while 3D has lost some favor in the US, it is still proving popular in international markets.

It has also been confirmed that the Star Trek sequel will again have a co-financing partner. This time Skydance Productions will be chipping in. The 2009 Star Trek film was co-financed by Spyglass Entertainment. It has become very common with big budget tentpoles to have co-financing partners.

Delayed but finally moving along

As TrekMovie recently reported, the Star Trek sequel will kick off production on January 15, 2012. And last week co-writer producer Bob Orci confirmed that the team were already on their 3rd draft of the script.  Pre-production for the film has been underway for months and some effects shots are already being worked on by ILM. A source tells TrekMovie that the Abrams team would have been able to deliver the film for a Holiday 2012 release, but Paramount preferred a Summer release date (like they did with the 2009 Star Trek film).

The May 2013 date is the second official release date for this twelfth entry in the Star Trek franchise. In early 2010 Paramount set June 29, 2012 as the release date, but in June of 2011 the studio officially put the GI Joe 2 film into that slot – leaving the Star Trek release date into limbo. While there are a number of factors that led to that decision, the biggest is director/producer JJ Abrams lack of availability in early 2011 while he was in post-production on Super 8. Without sufficient availability of Abrams (and producing partner Bryan Burk) the team could not move forward on finalizing the script andstarting pre-production in enough time to deliver a film by Summer 2012.

http://trekmovie.com/2011/11/23/star-trek-sequel-to-be-released-may-17-2013-in-3d/#comment-4192061

Oh, and at least Michael Giacchino will be returning to score the film.
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=84605

Bryancd

Rico

Quote from: Bryancd on November 23, 2011, 07:20:50 PM
Impossible! 3D is a fad!! ;)

I see you are catching on Bryan - it is a fad.  :)

But, I am happy we are finally getting some movement on this film - even if it's going to be a longer wait.

DrKankles

If they drag it out much longer the cast will look like the Undiscovered Country.  I have an extreme fear of JJ for this film.  The second film make or breaks you.

Jeff  :usflag

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on November 24, 2011, 05:36:35 AM
Quote from: Bryancd on November 23, 2011, 07:20:50 PM
Impossible! 3D is a fad!! ;)

I see you are catching on Bryan - it is a fad.  :)

But, I am happy we are finally getting some movement on this film - even if it's going to be a longer wait.

Yeah me too, although I am surprised they are going to film it in 3D. I recall we talked about that possibility last year and I didn't think they would. The studio seems to feel that even in almost 2 years, 3D provides additional revenue for a feature release like this globally. That's interesting.

Rico

The comment they make in the article on the 3D is that they feel it will help the movie generate more overseas business - not business here in the US where 3D hasn't helped as much at the box office as some hoped it would.  I'm happy that at least if they are doing it in 3D, at least they are filming it in that format with the proper equipment.

turtlesrock

3D is good. just imagine it, the enterprise zooming through space, with the amazing battle music in the background....
"dun, dun DUN DUN DUN dun...." :)

Meds

I don't know where they get that info from because 3D has been flagging over here and in Europe for quite a while.

Bryancd

Well, as Jamie is in market research, I think it is safe to say the studios know full well what global box office receipts actually are and clearly feel the economics are there to incur the added expense of 3D filming for a major release like ST.

Meds

I don't think they do mate. I honestly think that they are blinkered fools. My disdain for major studios grows with every news segment that i read. If i hear of another bastardisation of a old film i will break down and cry. I can only comment on what i see here in England and every cinema we go to the cues are bigger for 2D than 3D. The majority of people i talk to about what they have seen have regretted seeing the film in 3D (bar Avatar and the odd animation film) and refuse to go again. Only last month our local multiplex put on more films in 2D screenings than 3D. A clear move that people want 2D more.
As I say though, this is only through observations here in England and some of my friends in Europe.

Bryancd

I wouldn't presume to debate you as to the quality of product or blatant attempts to wring every available pence out of film franchises the studios undertake. :) I know how strongly you feel about it.

At the end of the day, there is an element of the global film viewing market which does pay up for 3D and the economics of that are favorable to the studios. Also, it's likely they are looking further down the road and the growth of 3D home TV's and video and want big properties like ST to be available in that format for the home market.

Meds

LOl I see your point Bry and I do hope they are looking down the road. Cinema is a beautiful medium for enjoyment but with modern tech growing there is a fear that the future will be home cinema. By that I mean that a film will come out and you will just download it and stream it and as much as i adore the big screen i'm bound to be one of the people who decide to stream a new film than go to the cinema.
I will say this though, you know my views on 3D and you know I'm not a fan of The Phantom Menace but I will end up going to see it in 3D purely so I can see SW in the cinema again..... and also so i can rip the backside out of it again just for fun ;)  (i'm joking there lol)

ChrisMC

Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on November 24, 2011, 01:09:05 PM
I will say this though, you know my views on 3D and you know I'm not a fan of The Phantom Menace but I will end up going to see it in 3D purely so I can see SW in the cinema again..... and also so i can rip the backside out of it again just for fun ;)  (i'm joking there lol)

Yeah, it's not my fave Star Wars movie but I think it's better than Ep. 2. Maybe that will get me stoned, I dunno. I think things like the podrace will be pretty cool to see in 3d.

4 years between Star Trek movies, I hope the wait pays off. I think fans' reactions will be much more negative than ususal if it doesn't live up to the wait and the eventual hype.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/