• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

"STAR TREK Into Darkness" - 2013

Started by Rico, June 17, 2009, 04:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turtlesrock

interesting. i wondered why the enterprise was built in iowa too. my trading cards say it was built in the "san francisco fleet yards", not iowa.

X

Quote from: turtlesrock on May 31, 2011, 07:19:35 PM
interesting. i wondered why the enterprise was built in iowa too. my trading cards say it was built in the "san francisco fleet yards", not iowa.
I would hazard to guess that since Kirk was born in space instead of Iowa, the enterprise was born in Iowa instead of space in the alternate time line.

RickPeete

In one of the Trek non-fiction books on the evolution of the series, it was written that the Enterprise saucer section was built in space because the construction would not have withstood the stresses to launch it into space once completed.

We know from the "Tomorrow is Yesterday" episode, that the Enterprise was in a suborbital position in the sky and had to climb because ship was not designed to operate within atmosphere.

turtlesrock

Quote from: RickPeete on May 31, 2011, 08:20:33 PM

We know from the "Tomorrow is Yesterday" episode, that the Enterprise was in a suborbital position in the sky and had to climb because ship was not designed to operate within atmosphere.

i should probably watch that episode, come to think of it. might clear some things up.

Rico

Remember not to mix universes.  The Roddenberry universe is quite a bit different than the JJ Abrams version.

Poodyglitz

Quote from: Rico on June 01, 2011, 08:40:40 AM
Remember not to mix universes.  The Roddenberry universe is quite a bit different than the JJ Abrams version.

Apparent incongruities aside (I still don't understand how a Bird of Prey can go to warp in Earth's atmosphere and not cause damage...but I've made my peace with it), I just don't see the Enterprise's design allowing it to fly in an atmosphere. That is, unless it's in a Star Wars (fantasy) universe.

Quarks Ally

Frankly I'm still trying to deal with bald tattooed Romulans.  Which seem to annoy me more than anything else in the movie.  Yes, I know the Klingons in the movies didn't look like Roddenberry's Klingons, but they seemed to take the basic look of the Klingons and advanced them, if you will.  But Abrams just erased the Romulan look and redesigned then completely.  Not to mention Mark Lenard could act circles around Eric Bana, who I personally thought was the weak link in the movie.  (In my opinion.)

A fruitful journey to the Divine Treasury.

X

Quote from: Quarks Ally on June 01, 2011, 02:16:26 PM
Frankly I'm still trying to deal with bald tattooed Romulans.  Which seem to annoy me more than anything else in the movie.  Yes, I know the Klingons in the movies didn't look like Roddenberry's Klingons, but they seemed to take the basic look of the Klingons and advanced them, if you will.  But Abrams just erased the Romulan look and redesigned then completely.  Not to mention Mark Lenard could act circles around Eric Bana, who I personally thought was the weak link in the movie.  (In my opinion.)

The baldness and tattoos were part of Romulan death rites, which were supposed to be painted on. Instead of mourning until the paint wore off, they made the paint into tattoos to show that they would never stop mourning the death of their race.

Rico

The prequel to the movie comic book miniseries fleshes out Nero's story and character quite a bit.  I highly recommend it!

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Countdown-TPB-IDW/dp/1600104207/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1306967598&sr=1-1

Rico

Licensing Entertainment Expo recently had a press conference in Las Vegas for an upcoming convention they have there.  Here's a promo item they handed out.  Based on this, it looks like they are still targeting next summer for the movie - but I still have my doubts they can make that.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=78285&offset=10#commentLstTop

Quarks Ally

Since I'm new here I'll take this moment to give a mini review of the last Star Trek film.  I take it by the post by most of those here that I am in the minority.  Yes I liked the movie for what it was, a fun mindless summer film.  But as a Star Trek film I thought is was... so so.  Not a bad movie, but I didn't think it was a five star movie.  I would say 3 out of 5 stars.  I still think the Romulans were the weakest part of the movie when they should have been the strongest. 

Star Trek has always been plot heavy and basically (okay here it comes!) I've always thought of Star Wars as Star Trek without a plot.  I was never that big of a fan of Abrams to start with and I thought his weaknesses as a director showed through.   

I guess I'm one of those stubborn fans who thought they trashed the Trek universe a little too much.  Yes the franchise needed a kick in the pants, but I don't think it needed to be dynamited and rebuilt. 

I know most of you will disagree, that's just my take.  So in my mind there is no (alternate universe)  just Abrams fanfic.  I just don't consider it canon.  Kirk was born on Earth, Vulcan and Romulas are still there.  I guess I'm old fashioned.  Like I said, I basically enjoyed the movie... but...

Now you can all proceed to come get me!     :boxing

Quarks Ally

Having said all that, I'm still looking forward to the next movie, so go figure!    :)

Bryancd

Quote from: Quarks Ally on June 01, 2011, 04:51:14 PM
Since I'm new here I'll take this moment to give a mini review of the last Star Trek film.  I take it by the post by most of those here that I am in the minority.  Yes I liked the movie for what it was, a fun mindless summer film.  But as a Star Trek film I thought is was... so so.  Not a bad movie, but I didn't think it was a five star movie.  I would say 3 out of 5 stars.  I still think the Romulans were the weakest part of the movie when they should have been the strongest. 

Star Trek has always been plot heavy and basically (okay here it comes!) I've always thought of Star Wars as Star Trek without a plot.  I was never that big of a fan of Abrams to start with and I thought his weaknesses as a director showed through.   

I guess I'm one of those stubborn fans who thought they trashed the Trek universe a little too much.  Yes the franchise needed a kick in the pants, but I don't think it needed to be dynamited and rebuilt. 

I know most of you will disagree, that's just my take.  So in my mind there is no (alternate universe)  just Abrams fanatic.  I just don't consider it canon.  Kirk was born on Earth, Vulcan and Romulas are still there.  I guess I'm old fashioned.  Like I said, I basically enjoyed the movie... but...

Now you can all proceed to come get me!     :boxing

Nope, I think that's a very fair assessment. Had you been here back prior to it's release, I was VERY critical of what it seemed to be setting up. When I saw it, I was very pleased with the final product and think it ranks up with some of the best STAR TREK has to offer...but it wasn't my STAR TREK, it's a different thing entirely and as such I can enjoy it. I do agree that a lot of people are far too kind to JJ as a genius, he's fine but loose the frackin' lens flare. :)

X

Quote from: Quarks Ally on June 01, 2011, 04:51:14 PM
Since I'm new here I'll take this moment to give a mini review of the last Star Trek film.  I take it by the post by most of those here that I am in the minority.  Yes I liked the movie for what it was, a fun mindless summer film.  But as a Star Trek film I thought is was... so so.  Not a bad movie, but I didn't think it was a five star movie.  I would say 3 out of 5 stars.  I still think the Romulans were the weakest part of the movie when they should have been the strongest.  

Star Trek has always been plot heavy and basically (okay here it comes!) I've always thought of Star Wars as Star Trek without a plot.  I was never that big of a fan of Abrams to start with and I thought his weaknesses as a director showed through.  

I guess I'm one of those stubborn fans who thought they trashed the Trek universe a little too much.  Yes the franchise needed a kick in the pants, but I don't think it needed to be dynamited and rebuilt.  

I know most of you will disagree, that's just my take.  So in my mind there is no (alternate universe)  just Abrams fanfic.  I just don't consider it canon.  Kirk was born on Earth, Vulcan and Romulas are still there.  I guess I'm old fashioned.  Like I said, I basically enjoyed the movie... but...

Now you can all proceed to come get me!     :boxing

You are entitled to the opinions you have and that's fine. I think it's a little harsh to call it fanfic, but I will continue to enjoy it. Here is the thing, they went out of their way to make it were the two universes can exist side by side. They didn't blow up your universe or anything other than destroy romulus in the standard universe.

The only downside to your opinion is that it's pretty much never going to matter. Whatever you thought about the new movie doesn't matter because it did something that has been missing for a while. It brought in new fans. I'd rather new fans brought in than a long slow death of attrition, but that's just me.

Had they not bent over backwards to respect the universe, I'd see where you were coming from, but again, that's not the case. Lastly, it doesn't matter what you or I consider to be canon because our opinions don't matter. You can not like it, but you can't shift the laws of the universe and make something that is canon into something that is not.

This was perhaps one of the best ways to respect the old and create something new that the news generations would fall in love with. In the end, you might not like JJ, but could you deliver a better product that would pull in new people like he did? I love to write and speculate, but I think the writers nailed this one. They delivered on the contract that they created. This is not your or my Trek, this is not your father's Trek. It was never meant to be.

This was new Trek for a new generation and we could either hope aboard the train and enjoy the ride or sit home and watch reruns of something that has pretty much no chance of coming back in the form that it was.

It was a no brainer for me to embrace Trek 2.0, but then again I went in expecting it to not be my Trek.

Bryancd

I agree the writers nailed it, I would suggest JJ's direction was average.