• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

How to....?

Started by Allen, June 08, 2009, 09:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allen

Besides Rico, I've noticed that a few others have begun their own podcasts.

I am interested in exactly how you all do it. I know basically that you can just take Audacity and record something, save it as an mp3 and make it available for download, but what else do you do to make your podcast excellent.

What other software do you use? What hardware do you use? Any tips or suggestions for editing? What about video? What web services do you use to host your files so people can get to them? What does it cost?

Share!

Peace
Allen
When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain

moyer777

I ordered a nice little Mic with a pop screen and a USB mixer board.  Then installed Adobe Audition 1.5 on my pc.  From there I make my own music and create some intros and extros.  Then I record little bits and pieces over the week, and sit down and paste it all together!  :) 

I am going to do a cool youtube video on how I make my podcast soon, so that will be better than my ramblings. 

I know many folks do it differently, so I am curious as well!

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Rico

Big subject and there are a lot of references out there for this.  You can go as cheap as you want.  Free software like Audacity to record and edit.  Free web hosting is available too, but you can get your own web hosting for not a huge amount of money these days.  You will also need some type of RSS Feed Creator/Editor.  I use FeedForAll.  Hardware, you can use a simple headset or buy a little mixer and pro level microphone.  It's all very flexible.

Video is a whole other animal and a lot more involved - and costly.  I use Pinnacle Studio 12 to edit my vidcasts.  It's ok, but I'd like better.  Files end up very big and you really can't do video podcasts easily without hosting.  Unless you are just going to slap them all up on Youtube.

If you get into it and have any specific questions, feel free to ask.  Lots of experienced podcasters here now - besides me.

Allen

Thanks Rick and Rico. I've looked at some of the stuff on the web, but I'm much more interested in the point of view of someone who has done it for a while.

We live kind of way out in the boonies here in NM. Our family is spread all over the country and our kids are heading off to college all over the place as well.

What I'd like to do is make a "private" podcast, just kind of a one-sided "phone call", to share news and stuff with family and friends. I can do that easily enough, but I want to have some fun with it to. Mix in some sound bites and songs the kids do and stuff like that.

I have no money. None. So I guess what I'm really looking for is tips and tricks to do "the cool stuff" without buying a mixer and things like that. I already have a good mic with a homemade pop screen that works really well. Other than that, what have you found that helps you "crank it out"?

Thanks!
When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain

Rico

moyer777

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Meds

For Waffle On i wanted to use a easy to use programme. I use audacity to record the show, its easy to use and i can add clips and edit it fairly easily. I dont use a mixer though somewhere along i may upgrade but not for a while. I use podbean to release my show. Jen recommended it to me and i recommended it to Kenny. Its a great place and so easy to use. I dont know an awfull lot about feeds/rss and all that and if i'm honest i'm a lazy sod. Podbean does it all for you apart from writing your own pages etc. They even get you linked up to itunes as well. I pay for the extra service becasue my podcasts are about an hour long but it works out at around $5 amonth which is dirt cheap if you ask me.

QuadShot

We use Garageband 09, for the Mac.  It's a tad more complicated than Audacity, but it's really not bad once you start playing with it.  The nice thing is that since it's Mac, it interfaces with iTunes very easily. 
Tales From The Mouse House....