• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

New Knights of the Old Republic game!

Started by Bryancd, June 05, 2009, 03:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryancd

iceman

Geekyfanboy

:jawdrop I second that.

Looks like it would make an awesome cartoon/movie.

X

Did you notice that it's not actually a Knight's game? I'm enjoying that they are going to open up the playing field for the online play.

Geekyfanboy

Yeah it's called Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Rico

This is their new attempt at a "Star Wars" MMO game.  The trailer is totally awesome.  I hope the game is as much fun.

Jen

I've been watching for developments on this game for a while. I set a Google News Alert for "New Knights Of The Old Republic" a few years ago and kept hearing rumors and seeing leaked concept art for it. I think last year is when it was announced. But the new trailer looks so cool. I don't think I could play it without being a Jedi though. I just have to be one. :D
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Data

"Commander. You just sit tight. We'll have this all fixed up in time for supper. "

PepperDude

So this is the second attempt at a Star Wars MMO? Very cool. The question is, would I want to play this game or STO?

Rico

Quote from: PepperDude on June 06, 2009, 06:43:08 AM
So this is the second attempt at a Star Wars MMO? Very cool. The question is, would I want to play this game or STO?

The first SW MMO is called "Star Wars: Galaxies."  I tried it for awhile.  It wasn't very Star Wars like.  They made some major changes to it eventually and it still has a small number of people playing.  I personally think a Star Wars MMO is a very hard thing to pull off.  The movies just don't lend themselves to this type of thing.  But we will see how this one comes out.  

Star Trek: Online is suppose to come out early in 2010.  So it most likely will be out quite awhile before this new SW MMO.  So it will be easy to try it before the SW game.

billybob476

Then again, I'd argue that Star Trek is even less suited to an MMO then star wars is.

Rico

Quote from: billybob476 on June 06, 2009, 10:38:59 AM
Then again, I'd argue that Star Trek is even less suited to an MMO then star wars is.

???  Really??  We have ranks, Starfleet, various standard character roles (fighter, science, medic, engineer, etc.).  I think Trek is much more adaptable to an MMO than Star Wars - by far.

X

Quote from: Rico on June 06, 2009, 11:08:33 AM
Quote from: billybob476 on June 06, 2009, 10:38:59 AM

???  Really??  We have ranks, Starfleet, various standard character roles (fighter, science, medic, engineer, etc.).  I think Trek is much more adaptable to an MMO than Star Wars - by far.
On that level, the same could be said about star wars. Jedi, rogue, fighters, assassins, bounty hunters.  Also, the level of combat violence seems to be higher in th wars than it is in trek. I think that it would lend itself better than Trek as an MMORPG.

having played several versions of both as a table top RPG, both have their high points, but Trek was about solving problems with your ships and your brains. In Star Wars, we had to deal with a lot of thing with our light sabers and blasters. If you are going to make a MMORPG that is similar to current game out there with fighting a necessary element to progressing, Star Wars would work much better. We don't see many running firefights in the trek universe.

Rico

It doesn't have to be all about fighting.  Missions of many type could give experience.  Not just by killing stuff.  Again, I disagree.  I think you are looking at it from a traditional computer MMO.  The reason Star Wars Galaxies failed is people didn't enjoy the advancement process.  You don't see that in the SW movies.  Luke goes from farmboy to Jedi Knight in about 6 hours.  People didn't want to spend days and days advancing in order to become a big time hero.  Anyway - my take on things.  I have played the SW - MMO, and the tabletop SW RPG game too.

Jen

I agree with Rico's last post. I HATE PVP (player vs player) because I always get beat within the first five seconds of combat...it's very frustrating and not at all fun to me. I'm just not good at that part of gaming. On my own, against a computer, sure I can do that...against a 13 year old who spends their summer playing the video game 24-7? Not so much.

I'd rather cooperate with other players to do missions that don't always involve fighting. And I imagined that the new Star Wars game would offer missions like that too. Like Peperdude, I'd only play one...and deciding will depend on which one I like better. I think I'm leaning more toward Star Trek though. Not only because I'd like to make a Captain Sevryll and Doctor Drett for my ship, but because of the types of missions the Star Trek universe offers.  :)
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast