• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

ANYONE HAVE ANY TIPS ON HOW TO COPE WITH NERVES FOR DOING ORAL PRESENTATIONS?

Started by SPOCKFAN, May 14, 2009, 05:57:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SPOCKFAN

I have to give a 20 minute presentation today.  I hate talking in front of a group of people and I am very nervous. Anyone have any secrets on how to cope with the nerves?  :unsure

billybob476

I used to be the exact same way. I'd get very nervous speaking in front of people. Just realize, you're the one who knows your topic. No one else really does. Also, at the end of the day, most people aren't out to make you feel stupid and won't try to pick you apart.

If you are taking questions and you don't know the answer, just say so. Don't freeze.

You'll do fine.

Rico

One thing that helps is just practice it in front of a mirror or some people you know over and over.  The better you know what to say, the smoother it will go.  Also, it might sound cliche but try to slip some kind of joke or show them a cartoon (in your slides) early on.  Everyone likes to laugh and it will loosen everyone up - including you.

Feathers

I find when speaking to a group that I tend to focus on a single person and treat it as if I'm speaking to them directly. I switch around so don't focus on the same person all the time, but it seems to help me focus on what I'm doing rather than simply looking at the 40 people in front of of me and gibbering.

Got to remember to keep the volume up for the entire room though.

I'm not sure it's an approved technique.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Feathers on May 14, 2009, 07:55:54 AM
I find when speaking to a group that I tend to focus on a single person and treat it as if I'm speaking to them directly. I switch around so don't focus on the same person all the time, but it seems to help me focus on what I'm doing rather than simply looking at the 40 people in front of of me and gibbering.

Got to remember to keep the volume up for the entire room though.

I'm not sure it's an approved technique.

I believe one of my teachers taught me that technique myself.  I'm not too great speaking in public either so basically remember what everyone here has said and you'll do fine. 

Also, practice makes perfect.  :)

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

SPOCKFAN

Thanks for the advice, my biggest problem I find is that while I am up there talking I run out of breathe!  Its like I forget to breathe while I am talking. Anyone else ever experience that?

billybob476

Quote from: SPOCKFAN on May 14, 2009, 10:30:40 AM
Thanks for the advice, my biggest problem I find is that while I am up there talking I run out of breathe!  Its like I forget to breathe while I am talking. Anyone else ever experience that?

Yes, it happened to me all the time, still does up to this day. It means you're talking too fast! Slow down and take your time.

Jobydrone

Quote from: SPOCKFAN on May 14, 2009, 05:57:20 AM
I have to give a 20 minute presentation today.  I hate talking in front of a group of people and I am very nervous. Anyone have any secrets on how to cope with the nerves?  :unsure

Xanax and SoCo
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx