• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

If the USS Voyager had a re-fit. What class of starship should it be?

Started by batman5150, April 24, 2009, 12:39:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

batman5150

Hi everyone,

I was trying to figure this problem out for my book im writing. I love the Intrepid class starship that Voyager is but, really, i am totally in love with the Soverign class that the Enterprise is currently. So i thought this would be an interesting topic: What ship is your favorite and if it were 20 years later, what type of Starship class would you like it to become. Or are you just happy with a standard re-fit.

Oh and my book happens to take place 30 years after Nemesis. So there might be some new class of ships to invent.

:klingon - "But sir, I must protest. I am NOT a merry man!!"

Meds

Rico

I'm sure our resident ship-tech folks will chime in on this.  I always liked that sort of advanced ship in Voyager that the Doctor went aboard from "Message in a Bottle."  The Prometheus.

wraith1701

Quote from: batman5150 on April 24, 2009, 12:39:18 PM
Hi everyone,

I was trying to figure this problem out for my book im writing. I love the Intrepid class starship that Voyager is but, really, i am totally in love with the Soverign class that the Enterprise is currently. So i thought this would be an interesting topic: What ship is your favorite

Tough question; they are all so beautiful!  I've always been partial to the Defiant because of its compact, non-traditional design.  The Akira class is another favorite -- the downswept nacelles give it an agressive, predatory look, which I like.   The Cheyenne is probably the ship I'm thinking of the most right now, since I'm about to pick up a resin kit of it from a friend on another forum.  Very cool design; looks kind of like a cross between the Enterprise-D and an X-Wing fighter.

Quote... and if it were 20 years later, what type of Starship class would you like it to become. Or are you just happy with a standard re-fit.

30 years is a long time in the Trek universe; just look at how the Enterprise flag was passed from a connie, to a connie refit, and then to an Excelsior variant, all within Kirk's lifetime.  If the Voyager isn't still an Intrepid class thirty years down the line, I imagine it will be a ship of similar size and mission profile.  The only existing ship that I can think of that fits this description is the U.S.S. Aventine from the current TNG/Titan books.  Here's an official image of the ship.. Its design hasn't been finalized yet-

It's a smaller ship, roughly the size of Voyager, and has a similar mission profile.  A major difference is that it has a more advanced propulsion system:  If I recall correctly, it is equipped with a slipstream-drive.

Dan M

My favorite of the Voyager-era ships is probably the Nova class.

It's got a shovel-shaped main body, like the Intrepid and Sovereign classes, but the arrangement of its nacelles and struts reminds me of the classic Connie/refit look.

wraith1701

Quote from: Dan M on April 25, 2009, 03:55:51 AM
My favorite of the Voyager-era ships is probably the Nova class.

It's got a shovel-shaped main body, like the Intrepid and Sovereign classes, but the arrangement of its nacelles and struts reminds me of the classic Connie/refit look.

The Nova is pretty cool.  I actually like it better than the Intrepid. :)

X

wraith1701

Meds

X