• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Buying a House

Started by Geekyfanboy, April 08, 2009, 10:54:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meds

Congratulations Kenny, you will love having your own place and as i put on FB earlier you need to look for a place with a great basement to put your stuff in. What i will say is its the MOST stressfull thing you will ever do. Stay calm, stay focused and make sure you both are in charge of the dealings and that you fully understand whats going on. My move went pretty crappy but that was to do with the fact i had a big chain. As you are a first time buyer it should go pretty smoothly. Plus looks like you have the excellent talent of Bryan to use and lets face it, everyone wants a bit of Mr Dunn LOL.

Great news Kenny, I look forward to seeing your pictures of your new house once you get it.

moyer777

I'm looking forward to visiting!  :)

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Meds

YAY house warming party at kennys.

Jen

Quote from: billybob476 on April 08, 2009, 12:53:33 PM
Quote from: marcnrow on April 08, 2009, 12:37:20 PMSome of the experiences I had with owners were a little awkward - kind of like a reality show **shiver**
I HATED looking at houses with the owners home. I felt bad looking in the rooms, I felt like I was intruding in their space. When no one's there you can look around, voice your opinion, etc.

You know what's worse than that?? A realtor who doesn't give the home owner advanced notice that they are bringing you by to look at their home and it's totally filthy. We looked at a house where a dog peed on the floor in several places and it hadn't been cleaned up! I was NOT buying that house. We ran into a few homes that were messy...like the owners took off just for 30 minutes and were gone until someone called them to tell them we left.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Jen

Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on April 08, 2009, 04:07:17 PM

Oooh that sounds fun. :D
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Bryancd

Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on April 08, 2009, 02:25:38 PM
Plus looks like you have the excellent talent of Bryan to use and lets face it, everyone wants a bit of Mr Dunn LOL.

...especially the tasty bits!

Bryancd

If you were closer Meds, that would be a night to remember! And if we couldn't remember, we would always have the police report to remind us!

jedijeff

Congrats Kenny, It is a great time for you and Harry to buy. I guess it is important to find a good Realtor. Maybe check around with friends and co workers who have bought homes and ask them if they have any good recommendations. Like the others have said, you want one who will not rush or pressure you into buying. One thing I found when I was looking at my first house, that at the start I was looking at houses I had no interest in, and knew 10 seconds after walking into the house, that I did not like it. So make sure to give plenty of feedback to your Realtor on what your likes and dislikes are, and what you want in a home, that way it will save you a lot of time in that you are not looking at houses that would not interest you.

Good Luck, I am sure it will be a lot of fun.

Dangelus

Congratulations Kenny!

I can't offer any more advice than what has already been mentioned, especially as our systems are totally different, but I will agree that it can be a very stressful thing to do and you and Harry will need all your wits about you. It's also so rewarding when you find your home and then you forget about all the stress!

Best of luck!

Geekyfanboy

Thanks everyone for the advice.. sounds like it's going to be a fun adventure.

Rico

Lynn and I have bought two houses.  The first was a classic, "fixer-upper."  Thankfully I'm pretty handy and I did a ton of work on that place and loved the house even with it's problems.  We made some profit off it.  The house we live in now was newly built for us in a brand new subdivision.  We got to spec it out a bit to what we wanted.  I also like this place too and love the area.  We both had fun house hunting and enjoyed it.  Never really found it stressful at all.  Just look around and shop - it's obviously a buyer's market right now so I'm sure you can get something for a great price.  Good luck and have fun!

Meds

Quote from: Bryancd on April 08, 2009, 05:04:49 PM

If you were closer Meds, that would be a night to remember! And if we couldn't remember, we would always have the police report to remind us!

LOL aint that the truth.

Geekyfanboy

Thanks everyone for your help..  I actually got pre-approved yesterday for our home loan. Everything looks great, now I just need to find a house to buy.

Meds

Ooooo post pictures and we'll help you pick ha ha.