• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Gates Releases Cloud Of Mosquitos

Started by Jen, February 07, 2009, 07:56:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jen

I thought this article was funny. He made a great point by doing this. I would say something regarding the irony of the PC guy and viruses, but I'll let it go... ;)

BTW, I have a friend who contracted Malaria on a mission trip. Her description of it was horrible. She said she wanted to die. No one should ever have to go through what she did.

Gates Makes a Point
Release the hounds! Actually, make that mosquitoes. Bill Gates, co-founder of Microsoft and one of the world's wealthiest people, made headlines this week when he released a cloud of mosquitos at a technology conference. The philanthropist was pointing out the dangers of malaria for the world's poor. "Malaria is spread by mosquitoes. I brought some here," he said. "There is no reason only poor people should be infected." Fortunately for the terrified attendees, the mosquitoes were malaria-free. 'Twas all a rouse. Bill Gates 1, Terrified Minions 0.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Feathers

My brother's had malaria a few times (he's done a lot of work in Africa and Asia). It seems to be one of those things that once you get, you never truely lose. Every later infection is just a relapse.

I'd love to have seen the reaction at the conference...but I hate mosquitos. Visious little biters even if they are disease free.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

wraith1701

Yeah, mosquitoes suck. ;) 

I heard about this on NPR the other day.  Kind of extreme, but I'd say he got his point across.