• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

RICO IS STEALING MY WATER! :)

Started by billybob476, December 23, 2008, 07:21:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billybob476

Detroit pipeline draining Canadian water illegally, Ontario officials allege

The Canadian Press

December 23, 2008

HAMILTON -- Detroit has been stealing Canadian water for 44 years.

It seems the Motor City's drinking-water intake pipe extends 90 metres across the international boundary in the Detroit River, and it's been siphoning as much as 121 billion litres a year since 1964 without a provincial water-taking permit.

"The City of Detroit was unfamiliar with Ontario requirements for water takings and has never had a permit to take water," says the Ontario Ministry of the Environment.

Alerted to the illegal water grab when Detroit conducted a screening under the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act for maintenance work on its southwest water treatment plant in 2006, the ministry now plans to exempt the city from provincial regulations.

The public has until Jan. 31 to comment on a proposal to let Detroit continue to operate the intake without a permit "because of the historical nature and unique circumstances."

It would also be exempt from fees "as administering the charge would be onerous and difficult to enforce."

Joe Cressy, campaign co-ordinator for the Ottawa-based Polaris Institute - which is crusading against bottled water - said yesterday he was unaware of the Detroit situation, "but unfortunately it doesn't surprise me."

"What we see frequently in this country is a desire to export its greatest resource, water, at the whim of corporate or government closed-door interests, whether through bottled water or loopholes such as this."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20081223.WATER23/TPStory/TPNational/Ontario/

Rico

That's Detroit for you!  By the way - your water is yummy!   ;D

billybob476

Meds

I see Rico with a water proof swag bag and mask. ;-)

billybob476

Jen

Quote from: Rico on December 23, 2008, 07:46:40 AM
That's Detroit for you!  By the way - your water is yummy!   ;D

LOL  :roflmao
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

billybob476

Quote from: Rico on December 23, 2008, 07:46:40 AM
That's Detroit for you!  By the way - your water is yummy!   ;D
...and your cars are...well lets just say I drive an Honda! :D

Feathers

Quote from: billybob476 on December 24, 2008, 06:42:08 AM
...and your cars are...well lets just say I drive an Honda! :D

Ouch! Still fuels coming down in price at the moment so the pain may ease a bit. Anyway, don't you have enough water up there?

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

billybob476

Haha just messing around. There's never enough water! And it's all OURS!

Meds

You can have ours, The UK never stops raining and amazingly we still have hose pipe bans.

Feathers

Ok stop giving our water away. Round here, all the water goes through at least seven people. I wouldn't call that having enough to give away!

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Meds

The Thames water is pretty bad ;) up here we have the Brecon Beacons a fine quality water.