Youtube Channel quality bad. Embeded Quality good?

Started by Jen, October 26, 2008, 07:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jen

I noticed something very peculiar today. I uploaded a hi def Mpg4 to youtube and the quality was horrible when viewed through their site. When viewed as an embedded file, here on the forum...it looks very crisp and clear. VERY strange. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this would be the case? Check out my post in Rick's birthday thread then check out the video in my youtube channel.

Birthday thread:
http://www.treksinscifi.com/forum/index.php?topic=5588.0

Anomaly Podcast Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnomalyPodcast
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Meds

Yeah i wondered why you put the quality is not ver good because i thought the video you did was really crisp and clear (and very funny by the way, good rock star moves Jen ;)  ). Could it be because youtube has to cope with so many video's they squash the quality down. I never really put videos up (thats why Rico does it for me) because of the filming site we use, I'll ask m y mate Phil (producer of The Danger Signs) because he uses a mac and sometimes has trouble with youtube settings.

Feathers

Quite a start compaison when you look at the two together like that. No idea why though - if youtube had bandwidth limits in place I'd have thought they'd have applied them to the embedded stuff as well as the site based vids.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Rico

There is a very easy answer for this - thought I even mentioned it before.  Some time ago Youtube began offering higher quality versions of the videos.  There is a little caveat to this.  The original uploaded video must be of high quality.  I have found high quality mpeg 4 works well for this.  When you first view a video directly on Youtube it defaults to low quality.  If the video is available in high quality you will see some words like "watch in high quality" under the video on the right side (see pic below).  Click that and it will reload and play the video in high quality.

Now, when you embed Youtube videos here on the forum they will default and play in high quality - if it is available that way.  This was one of the big reasons I put that new embed video addon here a few weeks ago.  Hope that clears things up.

Feathers

OK, that makes some sense - my problem was that I thought you'd said the embedded video addon you installed was for video hosted on your own site only. I probably simply skimmed through the discussion without reading it properly.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Jen

Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

KingIsaacLinksr

Who else thinks that youtube is becoming annoying to watch?  Now the videos themselves have ads.....I'm not the only one who gets that right? 

Otherwise....

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr