• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Woman Jailed for killing "Husband's" Avatar?!?

Started by wraith1701, October 25, 2008, 10:49:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wraith1701

Y'all hear this story yet? 

I guess some folks really, REALLY get into online games.

TOKYO: A 43-year-old Japanese woman whose sudden divorce in a virtual game world made her so angry that she killed her online husband's digital persona has been arrested on suspicion of hacking, police said Thursday.

The woman, who is jailed on suspicion of illegally accessing a computer and manipulating electronic data, used his identification and password to log onto popular interactive game "Maple Story" to carry out the virtual murder in mid-May, a police official in northern Sapporo said on condition of anonymity, citing department policy.

"I was suddenly divorced, without a word of warning. That made me so angry," the official quoted her as telling investigators and admitting the allegations.

The woman had not plotted any revenge in the real world, the official said.

She has not yet been formally charged, but if convicted could face a prison term of up to five years or a fine up to $5,000.

Players in "Maple Story" raise and manipulate digital images called "avatars" that represent themselves, while engaging in relationships, social activities and fighting against monsters and other obstacles.

The woman used login information she got from the 33-year-old office worker when their characters were happily married, and killed the character. The man complained to police when he discovered that his beloved online avatar was dead.
http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/online-divorcee-jailed-after-killing-virtual-hubby/1259111

Comments?

Feathers

In the virtual Maple Syrup world I assume it was a suicide since the Avatar simply did as it was told by a properly authorized user.

Case closed!

It does show that even virtual pillow talk should be avoided.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

WiseGuy43

I play that game and ya it would suck if that happend but that's why you don't give out you're user name or password. :old_bash:
and people get hacked all the time in maple story it's not any thing new.

iceman

It is interesting that she is being charged at all, but weather the charges will stick is another story.

KingIsaacLinksr

Ok, please tell me this is a joke.  Its gotta be a joke.  If I were on the jury for this case, I could never stop laughing at the ridiculousness of this case. 

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

alanp

This sounds more like something that would happen in Germany of Florida.