• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Do Star Trek/Star Wars stars charge for autographs at conventions?

Started by alanp, October 20, 2008, 12:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

I was listening to the reelhorror podcast and they were talking about Corey Feldman charging $25 for an autograph!  It was at a horror convention in NYC.

alanp

That is weird to me.  I couldn't pay someone to write their name on something.

metron07

There's a Sci Fi convention here in Orlando the end of this month with Terry Farrel, Nicki Clyne along with many others. For a mere $149 you get admission, one autograph, and can sit in the audience. For $229 you the $149 admission plus an additional autograph, for $329 you get the $229 plus can attended a meet and greet. And for a mere $429 you get to do everything and meet and photo everyone plus attend a costume party! Each photo op separately is $35 to $45. It's a living.

Check it out
http://vulkon.com/site/fall-orlando-show/

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: AlanP on October 20, 2008, 12:27:41 PM
That is weird to me.  I couldn't pay someone to write their name on something.

But thousands and thousands of people would.. that is why they do it. If you go to a Star Trek Con.. Shatner/Nimoy can charge up to 50 bucks a signature and people pay it.

I've paid for autographs before.. but I won't go over $20.

alanp

I didn't know that was the norm.  And it I know there are so many willing to pay it but I think their being taken advantage of.  And it's not just star trek fans.  One of my all time favorite bands, KISS, charges $1000 for a meet and great after they play!  I thought, as much as I like KISS, that is wrong.

Are there also Scifi stars who won't charge for the autograph?

Geekyfanboy

If you meet stars at Cons, they normally always charge for an autograph. That is how they are paid for their time. Some stars charge you for the photo and "they'll sign" for free. Some only sign their photos that they brought with them to the con and other's will sign anything as long as you pay. Alot of the actors will send you autographs if you write them and send them a SASE.

Right or wrong... Acting is a business.

alanp

I know the stars who went out of their way to take pictures, sign stuff, and chat with me are guys who I'll buy all their stuff that comes out; like tickets cds, books etc.  Like Ted Nugent, Skid Row, Tesla, Johnny Barbata, etc.

In fact, there was a rumor that Skid Row, my favorite group, was charging for a $50 meet and great, the band put out this in a press releace: "The claim that WE would charge a fan to meet us is preposterous!"

Meds

In England me andmay mate got o the memorabillia show at the NEc, we go every November and we've paid to have autographs (George Romero, Chris Barrie, Greg Grundberg to name a few). For us its £11 in and thats including the speaches and Q&A. Prices for autographs are normally around £20 but often if an actor is promoting a book (like Tom Baker did a few years ago) then as long as you buy somethig from his table (and that could be a mouse mat costing £2 or the book costing £10) he'll sign it for you. George Romero (considering he's getting on a bit now) cost £20 but he spent a good 5 mins talking to you and insisted on shaking your hand a good few times. My mate saw him and i took a photo (which he didn't mind unlike Geg Grundberg who's agent wanted another £20 ontop of £20 i'd already paid), he still wanted to shake my hand and I paid nothing. Top bloke Mr Romero.

metron07

The only thing that is frustrating to me is that under what was "normal" economic times I would pay for what I wanted but these days I will only be able to swing and $40 one day cover charge with no photos or meetings with the actors.  :'(

At least I could say I was there. It a pity.   :ohwell

Rico

Ahh, the good old days.  A long time ago this really wasn't the case.  But like many things, times change.  Cons vary but in many cases the "stars" are paid little or nothing to be there (except the big names).  Their expenses might be covered so typically this is how they make some money for their time.  Now, I'd guess if you run into a celeb on the street and ask politely for an autograph you might get one for free.  It's just the way things go these days.  I've paid a few times but it always feels a bit weird to me.  Personally I wish the cons just could pay them all more and we could just get an autograph with anyone there.  But of course ticket prices would rise then.

alanp

I think even rich stars should be paid for their work but at the same time, it is admirable to give back to those fans who made them.

If the event is celebrate a genre or show with fans and those who made it, then it just feels inappropriate to me.  I would prefer the model that the promoters to pay the stars an appearance fee to come and entertain fans at a convention center.  Even if it makes it more expensive in the long run, I would personally prefer it.

What I wonder about is if one big name star refused to charge a fan a dime at a con, would he poision the water and be hated by his pears?

X

I'm almost finished my rewrites for my agent and if I were to get big, I might charge. As it stands, I think that I'm going to have to pay for my tour through my advance. I won't charge to sign my books because it will promote sales, but if I were to go to a Con and sign books that people brought in, I might charge a little something to offset the costs of attending the Con and renting Con space.

I think that while it's nice to give back to the fans and believe me, if I get fans, I'll give back, but for most people, it's not a vacation and you have to put on your happy face all day as not to snap on someone that's not the nicest person. you are also missing out on time where you can be working on your next book and basically spending far more than you would make in sales to go on the trip.

I can see why people charge. It is a business.

Java The Hut

most scifi cons in the Dallas area a guest will charge $20 for the autograph and $5 for the photo, sometime they will donate the money to a charity .

I do get a lot of autograph via the mail,the biggest expense there is stamps, I can do A Write-Up on how to get autographs via the mail if any one wants to try .

~Java
I has a web-sight AGAIN
www.scifi-autograph.com
showcasing my SciFi Autograph collection

Rico

Hey Java - I'd love to hear about how you've done it via mail.  Any tips, suggestions?  It would be great if you could record a little segment and send it in for the podcast on this topic.  Looks like you have had some experience.