• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Will your favorite TV show get canned?

Started by Rico, October 11, 2008, 07:02:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Hmm, well maybe goodbye soon to Sarah Connor, (sigh), "Pushing Daisies",  and maybe "Knight Rider" (yipeee)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_RrObyQ3XzcY/SOv7EUph8II/AAAAAAAAeto/BsZ_QUQf_MI/s1600-h/Clipboard02.jpg

KC

To be fair, we are only a few new episodes into the new seasons of Sarah Connor and Pushing Daisies.  Both series are enjoyed by the critics and there's still a chance to get more viewers this week for all of the shows just mentioned.  I know Sarah Connor was picked up for at least two more additional episodes, but cross your fingers that they'll pick up more.

The only show that's truly in danger is Knight Rider, which wasn't critically acclaimed, and it's not drawing in the numbers that are needed to keep any show alive.  We'll see though.  All I can say is advertise your favorite shows as much as possible... except for Knight Rider, that's just pointless.  :P  Just kidding.

Rico

You do realize shows have been canceled after only one episode before?  Ratings seem to be the only thing that matters and networks seem to cancel things faster each season.  But I do hope that the good shows get to stick around.

KC

Oh yeah, I know.  There's always the unfortunate possibility that someone's going to pull the plug on a show at a random point in time.  But I think that there's a little bit of hope, especially after "Arrested Development" made its mark on television with three seasons of low ratings.  And then you look at "Firefly," which got a movie adaptation purely based on the DVD sales of a single season, and "Fringe" got a full season despite mediocre ratings.  I could just be looking at this with a "glass half full" approach, but I think that TV networks are looking at the situation differently because of shows that have failed but still seem to draw in huge audiences.  However, I could definitely be wrong.  I remain optimistic, though...    :)

alanp

I would hate to see Sarah Connor go after two seasons.  And the first one to be cut short by the strike.  I don't think it could be long lasting but has potential...

jedijeff

I feel bad for any show that gets cancelled, whether I watch it or not, as they are usually replaced with something of less quality.

Feathers

Quote from: jedijeff on October 11, 2008, 02:23:14 PM
I feel bad for any show that gets cancelled, whether I watch it or not, as they are usually replaced with something of less quality.
If that's a trend that holds true, there's not a lot of hope for the future of television. Surely, sometimes, just occasionally, that balance must be reset.

Heroes, for example, must have replaced something. Was that something better?

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

jedijeff

Quote from: feathers on October 11, 2008, 02:29:47 PM
Quote from: jedijeff on October 11, 2008, 02:23:14 PM
If that's a trend that holds true, there's not a lot of hope for the future of television. Surely, sometimes, just occasionally, that balance must be reset.

Heroes, for example, must have replaced something. Was that something better?

I guess I should have clarified myself a bit better. Usually when they cancel a show, we are left either with reruns of shows we have already seen to fill the space until something else is put on, or reality shows like the Biggest Loser. It is not like the next week, we are given something that was better then what we were already watching. That probably will not come until the next season at least.

X

I think Heroes replaced Joey ... or something like that.

Rico

Yeah, I agree with Jeff.  They bring out the big guns in the fall, sometimes in Jan. now.  If a show gets canceled mid season it's very unlikely to get replaced with something better.