• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

New Trek Series??

Started by Geekyfanboy, September 18, 2008, 06:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geekyfanboy

Bryan Fuller Wants Star Trek Back On TV

By MICHAEL HINMAN
Source: TrekWeb
Sep-18-2008

The 11th movie isn't out yet, but one former Star Trek writer says it's time for the franchise to make a return to television.

Bryan Fuller, who should have his hands full with ABC's "Pushing Daisies," told MTV that after a three-year absence, it's time to have Star Trek back on the small screen.

"I would love to do another Star Trek series," Fuller told the network. "One where you could go back to the spirit and color of the original 'Star Trek,' because somehow, it got cold over the years."

Not that Fuller doesn't like past Star Trek, especially since he was a writer on "Star Trek: Voyager," the show that pretty much gave him his big break.

"I love ['Star Trek: The Next Generation'], but it's a little cooler and calmer than the ones from the '60s, which were so dynamic and passionate," he said. "['Star Trek: Deep Space Nine'] was the best of the modern ones because it was so emotionally complicated. ['Star Trek: Enterprise'] was the most sterile of all of them, when it should have been the most fun."

The then Paramount Television tried to recapture that spirit with the launch of "Enterprise" in 2001, but many fans said they missed the mark, and the show failed to capture a major audience on UPN, becoming the first Star Trek series since the original to take an early, unplanned exit.

"Star Trek has to recreate itself," Fuller said. "Otherwise, all the characters start to feel the same. You always have a captain, a doctor, a security officer, and you have the same arguments based on those perspectives. It starts to feel too familiar. So all those paradigms where it takes place on a starship have to be shaken up."

The prospect of a series is a little more difficult now than it was in the past, especially now that Viacom has split its movie and television properties, making the movie versions part of the new Paramount, and the television part of CBS Television.

Sadly, all indications are that CBS is not interested in doing a new Star Trek series right now, but they are watching the buzz and the upcoming initial reaction to the next "Star Trek" movie when it premieres next May.

celestialteapot

I would love Bryan Fuller to helm a new Trek series, actually I'd love a new Trek series helmed by anyone who was very good at what they do... just as long as there is new Trek to have fun with :)

I think it would be really interesting to have a series set in the alternative universe.
This question has baffled mankind for all eternity... why don't sheep shrink in the rain?

Geekyfanboy

Yeah I love Bryan Fuller.. Pushing Daisies is one of the best new TV series.

I just hope when the do another Trek series it's in the future.. they tried the past and that didn't work.. they have to go into the future or like celestialteapot suggested.. an alternate timeline and start from scratch.

Rico

I posted this on the main web site earlier too.  Keep in mind it's all just talk right now.  We are a long way from another series.  Movie first, maybe even two - then we'll see.

Jen

Yep, movie first... but it doesn't hurt to dream about a new series. ;)
I agree with Kenny and celestialteapot. I'd rather see a new series set in the future. This guy is obviously all about "color"... LOL. Pushing Daisies is very vibrant. 
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

davekill

This time should the next series be produced for the sci-fi channel where it has a guaranteed  audience and if it's popularity catches fire, move it to network prime-time?
Just don't keep us waiting for ever.

davekill

Quote from: celestialteapot on September 18, 2008, 06:49:50 PM
I would love Bryan Fuller to helm a new Trek series, actually I'd love a new Trek series helmed by anyone who was very good at what they do... just as long as there is new Trek to have fun with :)

I think it would be really interesting to have a series set in the alternative universe.

I'd like to see a trek series set in the near future so we have some common references to throw into the scripts. Or a remake of TOS Assignment Earth with Terry Garr as "M"

Jen

Quote from: davekill on September 18, 2008, 08:25:17 PM

I'd like to see a trek series set in the near future so we have some common references to throw into the scripts. Or a remake of TOS Operation Earth with Terry Garr as "M"

Yeah but they already did that with Enterprise and it seemed everyone wanted to complain about the technology looking newer than it did on TOS.
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

davekill

Quote from: Jen on September 18, 2008, 08:33:10 PM
Quote from: davekill on September 18, 2008, 08:25:17 PM

I'd like to see a trek series set in the near future so we have some common references to throw into the scripts. Or a remake of TOS Operation Earth with Terry Garr as "M"

Yeah but they already did that with Enterprise and it seemed everyone wanted to complain about the technology looking newer than it did on TOS.

Plenty of series have done near future stories, Seaquest was set (I think) set in the year 2020. Throw in a couple of cool gadgets once in a while but keep everything else contemporary.
IF money is no option, I think the next series needs way more alien stories. Their worlds, culture and space/science organizations. Maybe the viewers where getting tired of retelling the same old - as Quark would say "Hu-mon" stories

KC

I think a new Trek series is definitely possible, although the success of the new movie will determine how soon it is going to happen.  I have to say that I too would prefer to see a new series set further into the future, but if someone like Bryan Fuller can make it work in an earlier setting, then good on him.  I'm open to anything at this moment, as long as it is not Enterprise Redux.   :)

davekill

OK, I get a screen credit if they use this one.  "CSI: Vulcan"

Sukesh - a veteran of the Earth / Romulan wars, is called into special service by the Federation to help rebuild weaken alliances formed with the independent races who came to the aid of Earth in her darkest hour.
Methodical and tenacious, Sukesh prefers to use his cool powers of deduction to catch his suspects off guard with the forensic evidence his team gathers.

Alan Rickman - Sukesh
Scarlett Johansson - T'prow
Jeffery Combs - Dr. Shran
Justin Long    - Randy

KingIsaacLinksr

I would be extremely touchy about making a new series.  People still remember the "disaster" that is Enterprise.  (Not my opinion, just general) so I would EXTREMELY careful about putting up a new show. 

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

M-5

I think it's too soon to talk about another series.  Let's concentrate on the movie next May.

Jen

Quote from: M-5 on September 19, 2008, 12:58:58 AM
I think it's too soon to talk about another series.  Let's concentrate on the movie next May.

Again, it doesn't hurt to ponder the possibilities. ;)

AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Rico

Here's a repost of my thoughts that I posted on the main page....

Lots of interesting ideas and thoughts. First, if I were doing a Trek series I would set it in a very difficult era - to match the difficult times we live in now so parallel stories could be developed as they did many times on Trek.
Two possible times —
1 - The Earth-Romulan war - post Enterprise and just prior to TOS. Lots of conflict, grit, troubles, etc. Sort of BSG meets Trek - to a degree.

2 - Distant future, the Federation has been decimated by years of war with aliens (maybe the Borg, some other alien race) and now Starfleet and the Federation are trying to rebuild, explore, live again.

I've loved Trek from TOS and on but things on the later series got a bit too easy. Let's get our hands dirty, make it emotional, have people explore, live, love, die, etc. Make you care for them and grab your audience. Now that would be good Trek and great TV!