• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

U.S. Politics

Started by Geekyfanboy, August 29, 2008, 10:30:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryancd

Quote from: Yeoman Mara on September 06, 2008, 07:17:32 AM
I don't actually think it will be that close.  And I don't think Palin was a good choice.  I just can't agree with McCain and his views on certain woman's issues and other items.  I'll definitely be voting OBama.

It's going to be VERY close, a real barn burner! At the very least, it certainly offers some fascinating choices!

Blackride

I do not understand how people think Palin is a bad choice. You may not like her which is fine but the choice was perfect. I say this because McCain was in trouble with the base and she was the only choice that could have saved the base vote. If people think that picking somone else would have been productive they just want McCain to loose......

The "change" that McCain made during his speech and the combo of picking Palin was the only path that could be choosen if they still expected to compete.

Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

Blackride

Quote from: Kinglinksr on September 05, 2008, 11:26:42 PM
To be honest, it seems like McCain shot himself in the foot for winning the election easily.  From what I've been hearing, ppl are very much against Palin being the VP. 

Who? The Democrats? All the polls show they closed the gap with this choice. Without her as the VP , Obama would be running away with it....
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Blackride on September 06, 2008, 09:42:05 AM
To be honest, it seems like McCain shot himself in the foot for winning the election easily.  From what I've been hearing, ppl are very much against Palin being the VP. 

Who? The Democrats? All the polls show they closed the gap with this choice. Without her as the VP , Obama would be running away with it....

No, I'm talking about the conservatives.  He had a good chance of securing his party with his choice of VP, but he goes for a woman.  Many conservatives were going to vote McCain outright, but then he went and took this person, who's daughter is pregnant and not married, who is currently being investigated....some ppl are just like, "Congrats McCain, your an idiot".  Its what I've been hearing.  I personally am against this choice.  I probably would have voted for McCain outright, but now I've got this choice that isn't.....great...

Some even suspect that McCain is being sabotaged.  Every time he's been in the "lead", he does something really stupid that puts him below Obama. 

*sigh*.  Oh well, at least neither of them can screw up the country in 4 years. 

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

sheldor

Wanna bet ?  Watch if Obama wins and he does his tax increase, increases min wage (another tax increase) and nationalizes health care (hmmm sounds like a another tax).  The economy is not strong enough.

Blackride

Quote from: Kinglinksr on September 06, 2008, 09:52:21 AM
No, I'm talking about the conservatives.  He had a good chance of securing his party with his choice of VP, but he goes for a woman.  Many conservatives were going to vote McCain outright, but then he went and took this person, who's daughter is pregnant and not married, who is currently being investigated....some ppl are just like, "Congrats McCain, your an idiot".  Its what I've been hearing.  I personally am against this choice.  I probably would have voted for McCain outright, but now I've got this choice that isn't.....great...

McCain is known for NOT having the base of the party. He has gone against the party numerous times. That was always his biggest liability. This is why in 2000 he did not fair well.

Ktrek

I think it was a very smart move on McCain's part to select a woman as VP. Now , whether Palin should have been that choice I don't know. I think Condaleeza Rice would have been a far better choice and probably would have guaranteed him the election but that's just my thinking. I was quite interested in Obama early on but the farther down the road we have gotten the less attractive he is to me. I think we do need "change" and that has been his credo but change can be good or bad and I have not heard Obama say anything at all about how he will change things. All he does is complain about the current administration and the direction it has taken but he has offered no valid or viable options to bring about positive change. The changes I do hear of will cost the American public severely and place an even larger tax burden on the middle class. He has offered no viable solutions to improve the economy and get us back on track, is supportive of larger and bigger government, and giving free handouts. I think we do need change but I am not convinced in the least that Obama is the kind of change that will move this country forward. I suspect that his policies will actually have an opposite effect if allowed to run their course.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

davekill

Today if Obama represents the left and McCain the right, then the middle has slid far left since the days of JFK and Barry Goldwater.

McCain's national defense, open trade and illegal alien amnesty policies are much like John F. Kennedy's agenda.
Goldwater or even Regan couldn't get elected now days.

The Democrates have a good and experienced candidate running who embodies the Democratic spirit but don't recognize that it is "today's Republican" John McCain.

Bryancd

Quote from: Blackride on September 06, 2008, 09:42:05 AM

Some even suspect that McCain is being sabotaged.  Every time he's been in the "lead", he does something really stupid that puts him below Obama. 

*sigh*.  Oh well, at least neither of them can screw up the country in 4 years. 

King

I just don't see how fronting a more traditional conservative ticket would have been a better option, King. Conservative Republican's, who ironically enough should be more receptive to a teenager wanting to actaully have her baby, are still going to vote MCain. They may not like Palin, but there is no way they will vote for Obama and they will not stay home. They are stuck, they had 8 years and no way a conservative ticket win's this election.

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Ktrek on September 06, 2008, 11:36:04 AM
I think it was a very smart move on McCain's part to select a woman as VP. Now , whether Palin should have been that choice I don't know. I think Condaleeza Rice would have been a far better choice and probably would have guaranteed him the election but that's just my thinking. I was quite interested in Obama early on but the farther down the road we have gotten the less attractive he is to me. I think we do need "change" and that has been his credo but change can be good or bad and I have not heard Obama say anything at all about how he will change things. All he does is complain about the current administration and the direction it has taken but he has offered no valid or viable options to bring about positive change. The changes I do hear of will cost the American public severely and place an even larger tax burden on the middle class. He has offered no viable solutions to improve the economy and get us back on track, is supportive of larger and bigger government, and giving free handouts. I think we do need change but I am not convinced in the least that Obama is the kind of change that will move this country forward. I suspect that his policies will actually have an opposite effect if allowed to run their course.

Kevin

You've stated my problem with Obama.  WHAT CHANGE ARE YOU GOING TO DO??!!  I mean, you can talk and talk and talk about change, but I haven't heard one solid thing that you are going to change.  Please state your case or get off my ballot.  Damnit!  lol ;)

King

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Blackride on September 06, 2008, 10:56:37 AM

McCain is known for NOT having the base of the party. He has gone against the party numerous times. That was always his biggest liability. This is why in 2000 he did not fair well.

An excellent point. 

I don't suppose we could just elect to have a new election in the fall?  You know, just completely scrap the ballot and start over?  Its a mess.....

King

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Bryancd on September 06, 2008, 01:01:12 PM

I just don't see how fronting a more traditional conservative ticket would have been a better option, King. Conservative Republican's, who ironically enough should be more receptive to a teenager wanting to actaully have her baby, are still going to vote MCain. They may not like Palin, but there is no way they will vote for Obama and they will not stay home. They are stuck, they had 8 years and no way a conservative ticket win's this election.

Our problem with Palin's daughter is not that she wants to have it.  Its that she is having it and she's not married.....or am I just an "old fart" and Republican's no longer make a big deal about pre-marital sex?   
Otherwise yes, she does seem to be pro-life which we will accept. 

King

P.S.  Yes, I made three posts.  Rawr!!  ;)

davekill

Do you think that Obama will replace Joe Bidden and with a more popular running mate? Nancy Pelosi?

Maybe he should have gone with the logical choice at the time - Hillary Clinton.

wraith1701

Quote from: StarTrekFanatic5 on September 06, 2008, 09:01:24 AM
Quote from: Yeoman Mara on September 06, 2008, 07:17:32 AM
I don't actually think it will be that close.  And I don't think Palin was a good choice.  I just can't agree with McCain and his views on certain woman's issues and other items.  I'll definitely be voting OBama.

Whoo hoo another ally.. Thanks Mara. :)

I felt like the lone Obama supporter on this forum.

Y'all aren't alone. ;)

Bryancd

Quote from: davekill on September 06, 2008, 01:23:00 PM
Do you think that Obama will replace Joe Bidden and with a more popular running mate? Nancy Pelosi?

Maybe he should have gone with the logical choice at the time - Hillary Clinton.

Oh God, please not Pelosi, I really don't like her. I don't know if Hilary would have taken the VP. I think she runs again in 4 or 8 years depending on how this election play's out.