• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

How to name a podcast/website?

Started by alanp, August 28, 2008, 07:28:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

Me and a friend are wanting to start a website and a few podcasts with topics ranging from wrestling, horror, to high school sports.  We are having trouble with the big step of naming the website.  A name like TWiT, Revision3, Treks in Scifi, Simply Syndicated, etc is hard to come up with.

Those of you with websites and podcasts, how did you name them?

Jen

I did a lot of thinking,  and decided on a name for our show that is also a popular trechonobabble term that defines who Angela and I are. I would suggest that you make a list of terms or phrases that define your show and its hosts, not necessarily the topics. Naming schemes are not an exact art and it's very subjective—no one method is the end all be all.  :)
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

davekill

Sometimes I'll throw a bunch of random ideas at the wall and see if any stick.

HyperTitans

Sport-FX

JamZone

Jam-cast

Ripcurve

Sportattic

AT-4A

Funazzle

Sport-soup

RumbleCube

Bonecracker

Liken-it

morph Cube

up-to-stuff

round hat

resportable

sports-n-flicks

Sportslinger

eh ...... it's a start  :)

alanp

For the website, I'd like to do a name that reminds people of terrastal broadcasting.  A place they go to find content they can't get on TV or radio.

I wanted to call the horror podcast "dead air" but that show already exists. 

Meds

ElfManDan

I have a website called Home of Advantages (www.homeofadvantages.com which was is from my film production name I had. That was the name from a story I wrote that I wanted to film called Advantages. It was a little too extreme when it came to budget and my selection of actors, so that never came to be, but the name sticked and that's how I came up with the name Advantages. 

Rico

It's a hard thing to come up a name, but you will find once you do name something and start using it usually after a little while it starts to fit.  I also like unique sounding things and I don't think they have to exactly match the name of your show or shows.

Long before I started the podcast I had bought the domain www.treksf.com  I want a Star Trek related domain, but since I like most Sci-Fi also I sort of combined the two into one name.  I wanted to keep it fairly short too.  Then as the podcast and website grew I wanted to move to an easier to remember website for people so I made it match the name:  www.treksinscifi.com   But both domains get you here.

One tactic I use sometimes is go to one of the domain checking and registering sites and type in some domains you are thinking of.  Sometimes they will give you similar domain choices to pick from.  That can lead to some new ideas.  Good luck in your search.

Jen

That's true but from a marketing standpoint, it would help if your name was somewhat related to what you're all about. Search engines and  iTunes will pick up on it and at a glance like-minded/ interested people may check you out because of it. ;)
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Rico

I think it can work both ways.  I mean what did Google mean before the Net or Amazon, etc?  As far as feeds and search engines they are driven more by site and page meta tags than the actually name.  It's all up to what you like and sounds good to you - of course.

davekill

In a memorable quote from "Animal House"

Flounder: What is my Delta Tau Chi name?
Bluto: Dorfman, I've thought long and hard about this your Delta Tau Chi name is...Flounder.
Flounder: Flounder? Why Flounder?
Bluto: Why not!  :D

Jen

Quote from: Rico on August 29, 2008, 06:53:03 AM
I think it can work both ways.  I mean what did Google mean before the Net or Amazon, etc?  As far as feeds and search engines they are driven more by site and page meta tags than the actually name.  It's all up to what you like and sounds good to you - of course.

If you don't have the money bags to sell your brand then a name like "Amazon" won't get you far. That's all I'm saying. To each his own. Like I said, naming schemes are subjective. ;)
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Rico

Well - I tend to doubt us podcasters are in it for the money.  It was just another idea.

davekill

I had a part-time business for a couple of years called Home Run Graphics.
The logo was a batter hitting one out of the park.

People liked it because it's easy to remember and sounds like a winner.

Also it was a little tongue-in-cheek, because I ran it out of my home.

* rim-shot here*
Thank you, Thank you I'll be here all day and remember to tip your waitress :)

moyer777

I just love to name things.  Isn't it fun?  I love the idea of taking your theme or over all goal of the cast and then simply brianstorming. 

For instance, what if you did a podcast on the six million dollar man? You wanted to talk about episodes or where the actors are now...

Bionicpod
the six million dollar podcast
Rudy Wells office
Cyborg Weekly
The Steve Austin Cast
na na na na na na na na  :)
Goldman's guy
We can rebuild him
Red Jump suits are still in
Running at 60mph
Rockin' Steve Austin
OSI Briefiing

You get the picture. 

How fun.  I may have to do a six million dollar podcast now. 

I wonder if Calahan would thing it was a good idea? 

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Jen

AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast