• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Who are you? What do you want?

Started by davekill, August 24, 2008, 11:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davekill

Who are you? What do you want?

I love these questions as posed in Babylon 5, simple and to the point.

I got a kick out of reading Trekkygeek and Meds waxing nostalgic over Britain's Olympic conquests in the 1000 + Club thread. Then the question occurred to me - Is it more important to know who you are or what you want?
Any thoughts?

(Trekkygeek mentioned pride, courage and never giving up. My parents called that "Moxie")

sheldor

iceman

Not a simple answer, esentially I believe we are an accumulation of all our failures , successess and life experiences which all help to shape what we will eventually become.

davekill

Quote from: iceman on August 24, 2008, 03:02:02 PM
Not a simple answer, esentially I believe we are an accumulation of all our failures , successess and life experiences which all help to shape what we will eventually become.

You could consider who you are or what you want as an individual, a family, a culture or country.
I don't know if there is a correct answer.

I agree that knowing who you want to be (having a dream) will shape what you will eventually become.

Bryancd

But ultimately who we want to be is a construct of our psyche and not real. It's how we want to be perceived by others but is a complete affect.

davekill

Quote from: Bryancd on August 24, 2008, 05:23:44 PM
But ultimately who we want to be is a construct of our psyche and not real. It's how we want to be perceived by others but is a complete affect.

The need to be perceived well by others answers the question - What do you want?

Who are you? could be "I'm a leader, a follower, a poet or a explorer".

Simple questions, but difficult to answer.