• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Don't get pulled over in Palm Beach...

Started by wraith1701, August 23, 2008, 10:15:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wraith1701

Anyone hear about this-

I have the utmost respect for Law Enforcement officers in general; they put themselves in harm's way to keep the public safe.  But when I see things like this, it makes me wonder what kind of admissions standards departments use, and what kind of training the officers receive. 

Comments?

Jen

I saw this on the news the other day. I always wonder what the cameras didn't catch before the officer is filmed doing things like this... but this officer and the spokes person representing the department are both stupid. They were afraid of spit? The blood that was sure to have flown out of the guy's nose and mouth, when the cop punched him in the face, was surely just as scary! That's bull crap. The cop and the spokes person should be fired.

I can imagine that police officers are under a lot of stress, and I am thankful they put their lives on the line for us. But there are always a few bad apples.

My dad was actually a police officer. He worked for a few months and quit. The officers he was working with handcuffed a drunk and beat him up. My dad didn't want any part of it and actually took up for the guy.  After going through all the training and earning a badge, dad resigned the next day and found another occupation.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

ElfManDan

I wonder if the police knew that they were being filmed by one of their own cameras? I wonder if they cared that they were being filmed?

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Sheppard on August 23, 2008, 11:23:18 PM
I wonder if the police knew that they were being filmed by one of their own cameras? I wonder if they cared that they were being filmed?

After so many incidents in front of the camera, they don't seem to care at all.  Not until their in jail/fired.....

This always ticks me off.  It just raises fear about good people.  Bad apples always ruin it.

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Trekkygeek

Well I'm afraid I'm going to buck the trend here.
The bloke was an armed robber and once you decide to threaten people with a gun, then you can't complain about what happens to you.

In my opinion he deserved what he got and I hope he got a few more in the cells.
You could learn something from Mr Spock Doctor..... Stop thinking with your glands"

Jen

Quote from: Trekkygeek on August 24, 2008, 04:12:45 AM
The bloke was an armed robber and once you decide to threaten people with a gun, then you can't complain about what happens to you.

In my opinion he deserved what he got and I hope he got a few more in the cells.

True, but I believe the spit was the only reason he got his teeth knocked out.
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Meds

Well this is just bad. Plain and simple. You don't kick a guy when he is down, that's called cowardice in my book, and as for holding him while cuffed and giving a few smacks that is just well out of order. OK he struggles but they have pepper spray, use it. or simply drop knee them and hold them down don't go throwing your fat hands about.
man, you know i live in a country in which the police have lost all their powers because of the PC human rights brigade, i used to be pretty scared of them because i knew you mouth off at a cop and he'll smack you one. that i don't mind. Nowadays you cant even let a sniffer dog into a house of a suspect until you ask there permission in case they are allergic to dogs. Seriously how screwed up is that. Jeez.

davekill

Quote from: Trekkygeek on August 24, 2008, 04:12:45 AM

I'm with you,

I am always amazed by news reports of people who have been placed under arrest and continue to resist.
These cops  are hardened from dealing with "real" dangerous criminals that hold no value for life and have nothing to lose ( they get busted and go back to the joint for another 5 years to be with friends and family - big deal! )
When "Dilbert Dipstick" robs the corner pharmacy to feed his habit and gets caught, he would be smart to take it like a man, sit down and shut up - his choice.
Emotions are running high all around and this guy choose to make his world a lot harder.

I agree that the cops should not hit or kick a restrained suspect - that's wrong.

The police are there in the name of you, me and the courts to clean up the mess the "victim" made when he went berserk and robbed an honest business.

OK, I'll get off my soapbox now

Blackride

Don't spit at cops is always a good rule, ohhh wait don't spit at ANYBODY!

Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

Jen

Probably shouldn't bleed on them either... that would just be unsanitary. :D
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Meds