• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

collectors

Started by alanp, August 17, 2008, 08:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

does anyone but me do this?  Sometimes I'll bring home a video, book, or other item only to find I already have it?

Geekyfanboy

I collect quite a bit a stuff and I'm normally good at not buying repeated stuff.. but I have done it several times with comic books.

Meds

I did it with a few DVD's. Recently i bought the Transporter box set only to find i already have it. Man i  love them films.

Rico

With general collectibles I don't think I've really done that.  Back when I collected more action figures I think I might have grabbed the same figure once or twice but that's about it.  Most duplicates for me come from folks getting me gifts.  But most people tend to get me non-SF type stuff now in order to avoid that.

billybob476

The only thing I really collect are Star Wars EU books (I have over 100 of them). A couple of times in the past I've gotten some doubles as gifts but people have given up trying to buy me books or electronics.

Darth Gaos

Quote from: billybob476 on August 18, 2008, 09:06:27 AM
The only thing I really collect are Star Wars EU books (I have over 100 of them). A couple of times in the past I've gotten some doubles as gifts but people have given up trying to buy me books or electronics.

I have had this happen a few times.  I have a couple of bookcases full of Civil War books and my family will send books to me only to find out that I already have it.  Other than that I am usually pretty good about knowing what I have although I have had Kenny's problem in the past with comics.
I think it was Socrates who spoke the immortal words:  I drank WHAT?

wraith1701

I've accidentally picked up doubles of some magazines and comics.  Those "variant covers" used to screw me up-  I'd get home and crack the book open, only to realize that I'd already read it! 

I've since learned to flip the book open before buying.  Can't judge a book by it's cover. ;)

Ktrek

So far I have not bought duplicates unless I was bidding on a "lot" on Ebay that included an item or two I already owned but wanted the other items enough to bid. Otherwise the answer would be no. With the convenience of online ordering these days I hardly ever buy anything at a store anymore. With as many movies as I own this is the most practical and cost effective way to purchase for me and also keeps me from duplicating what I already own.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

ElfManDan

I have been told by others that I have a pretty good memory and I don't recall every buy two of the same items for myself, but I have on lots of occasions gotten multiples of the same gifts from others.