How many of you think America should go back to our first Copyright Law?

Started by alanp, August 13, 2008, 11:09:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: Rico on August 13, 2008, 01:23:15 PM
Actually Kenny that isn't accurate.  As long as you own the physical disc still, you are allowed to rip a CD or DVD to your computer, or a portable media player, etc. for your own use.  It is even built into software applications like iTunes and Windows Media Center.  Now, making hundreds of copies and selling them or even giving them out is another matter.

That's actually not accurate either Rico.. There is no law that say you can copy your own personal DVD.. but there is a law that forbids you to circumvent the copyright protection that are on most industry DVD's.

Rico

Quote from: StarTrekFanatic5 on August 13, 2008, 02:54:41 PM
Quote from: Rico on August 13, 2008, 01:23:15 PM
Actually Kenny that isn't accurate.  As long as you own the physical disc still, you are allowed to rip a CD or DVD to your computer, or a portable media player, etc. for your own use.  It is even built into software applications like iTunes and Windows Media Center.  Now, making hundreds of copies and selling them or even giving them out is another matter.

That's actually not accurate either Rico.. There is no law that say you can copy your own personal DVD.. but there is a law that forbids you to circumvent the copyright protection that are on most industry DVD's.

There have been several court cases as precedents and no one has been fined or gone to jail for taking a DVD or CD (that they own) and transferring it to their computer or portable media player.  And I mean no one.  They have tried and failed.  I mean, realistically what do they think people are doing with their laptop, iPOD's, and other portable devices?  And there are plenty of tools that do nothing to the copy protection but still transfer CD's and DVD's to other devices you own.  Again, perfectly fine to use.

On a more commentary note, they have been trying to fight this for years and have failed every time.  Ever since the age of even just the simple cassette recorder when I used to record every new record I purchased immediately to a cassette.  This both preserved the record and gave me a way to listen in the car, etc.  Millions of people every day do this.  They better make some bigger jails if they are going to put every iPOD owner away.

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: Rico on August 13, 2008, 03:20:33 PM
There have been several court cases as precedents and no one has been fined or gone to jail for taking a DVD or CD (that they own) and transferring it to their computer or portable media player.  And I mean no one.  They have tried and failed.  I mean, realistically what do they think people are doing with their laptop, iPOD's, and other portable devices?  And there are plenty of tools that do nothing to the copy protection but still transfer CD's and DVD's to other devices you own.  Again, perfectly fine to use.

Well I don't wish to argue with you Rico.. so I will choose not to continue this conversation.

Rico

Didn't mean to be arguing at all Kenny - but I'm simply a realist.  I pay a lot to buy what I do in terms of DVD's, CD's, etc. as many people do.  If they expect me (or frankly most people) to buy them again in electronic form I think they won't have much luck - as has been quite easily seen for many years.  I mean professional magazines, web sites, etc. tell people about this and even mention in print that they do it themselves.  I don't see anyone being brought up on charges from PC Magazine.  I've been on a lot of airplanes full of people watching stuff on their laptops, iPODs, etc. - out in public.  In almost every case when I have asked them, "hey did you buy that off iTunes?  They say - Oh no, I just transferred it over from a DVD before I left my house for my trip."

People have shown for a long, long time they just won't change this habit.  Now some people don't have the equipment, or the time or the skills to transfer stuff so they buy the convenience of getting it electronically.  But again, many people do it themselves.  And so far, no one seems to have much of a problem with it.

Here's an example, it would be like charging me to read a book (which I already bought and paid for) to read it again.  Or maybe read it at the beach instead of my house.  I mean, that's pretty silly.  I more than support these guys.  I go see the movies at the theater.  I buy the DVD when it comes out.  I buy the special edition when it comes out 3 months later.  I might even buy the Blu-Ray for some of them.  But I draw the line at buying a version of it so I can watch it on my video iPOD.

Blackride

Quote from: Rico on August 13, 2008, 03:53:44 PM
But I draw the line at buying a version of it so I can watch it on my video iPOD.

You could be paying for the advertising and the process of getting the video in that format/platform. Also if even one minute of new footage or difference in the movie would consititue a different version that you may not own. If I was a large studio, I would make sure EVERY version released has one small difference. This would allow me to say that the versions are all different and hence you should pay for them :)

Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

wraith1701

Quote from: Blackride on August 13, 2008, 05:27:06 PM
But I draw the line at buying a version of it so I can watch it on my video iPOD.

You could be paying for the advertising and the process of getting the video in that format/platform. Also if even one minute of new footage or difference in the movie would consititue a different version that you may not own. If I was a large studio, I would make sure EVERY version released has one small difference. This would allow me to say that the versions are all different and hence you should pay for them :)

If a studio went to the trouble to produce that many versions of a work, I have a feeling they would soon go out of business.  I think folks would probably just stick with the version they had, or acquire the alternate versions thru other means.

I personally hate the idea of anyone trying to dictate how I use my media once I pay for it.  If I dish out $20 bucks or more for a DVD or CD, I consider it mine.  I wouldn't feel the slightest bit guilt over making a backup copy or converting it to a format that I could play on my ipod. 

Don't get me wrong; I think making a copy to sell or distribute to other folks is uncool, but making a back-up for personal use is OK in my book.

alanp

Wow, I didn’t mean to start a conflict on the boards!

All legal implications aside, I think we will be governed by our moral or ethical internal compasses.  

If I were to buy a Wrestlemania pay-per-view, I feel I have every right to record it to watch again later.  I don’t feel that I have the right to make 10 copies and sell them on ebay for five bucks a tape.  Therefore, I personally draw the line at selling someone else’s work at a profit and pocketing their share.  However, if it’s for me or a member of my household to see or hear, I feel that I do have the right of fair use to copy such work.  That’s just based on nothing more than my gut feeling.

Getting back to public domain issue, many movies, albums, etc are not brought up to the current medium.  How many records are there that never made it to CD?  I see a lot of USB turn tables for that reason.  Maybe there should be a time limit that they have to make video available in the current format or it falls to public domain.  So if the studios don’t print a DVD of  the 1971 classic Bless the Beasts and Children staring Billy Mumy, within X number of years of the DVD becoming dominant; the video company of Rico Kenny and Alan could aquire a print of the movie and distribute it as a public domain film.  Then we could put it in the bargain bin at Best Buy.  This would keep movies from the past current with the current format.

Blackride

Quote from: wraith1701 on August 13, 2008, 05:39:13 PM
Quote from: Blackride on August 13, 2008, 05:27:06 PM

If a studio went to the trouble to produce that many versions of a work, I have a feeling they would soon go out of business.  I think folks would probably just stick with the version they had, or acquire the alternate versions thru other means.

I personally hate the idea of anyone trying to dictate how I use my media once I pay for it.  If I dish out $20 bucks or more for a DVD or CD, I consider it mine.  I wouldn't feel the slightest bit guilt over making a backup copy or converting it to a format that I could play on my ipod. 

Don't get me wrong; I think making a copy to sell or distribute to other folks is uncool, but making a back-up for personal use is OK in my book.

Star Wars keeps getting new versions and selling more and more....
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

wraith1701

Good point, but Lucasfilm didn't make a different version available only for iPods, and another version exclusively made for DVDs.  We have the original theatrical release, which is available on VHS and DVD.  And we have the "special edition", which is available on VHS and DVD. 

Meds

Slightly of topic but in the same core does anyone know hjow to transfere vinyl onto either a cd or my ipod. I have a quite a few jazz albums that i can't get on CD (well with the same quality) and i want to preserve them. So in essence i'm guilty of wanting to copy records but for me, preservation.

Rico

Meds - there are a few ways to get a vinyl record to your computer & iPOD.  If you have typical stereo system, see if you can run an audio output line from your receiver to the input or mic jack on your sound card or sound jacks you might have on your motherboard.  Then just use an application like Audacity to record the input.  Another thing they make now are USB turntables that will directly interface with a computer.  Good luck.

sheldor

I think with music, the public domain goes into effect after 50 years.  I thought it would be the same for other media.

Meds

Quote from: Rico on August 14, 2008, 04:39:02 AM
Meds - there are a few ways to get a vinyl record to your computer & iPOD.  If you have typical stereo system, see if you can run an audio output line from your receiver to the input or mic jack on your sound card or sound jacks you might have on your motherboard.  Then just use an application like Audacity to record the input.  Another thing they make now are USB turntables that will directly interface with a computer.  Good luck.

Brilliant thanks mate.