• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Star Wars 3D

Started by Chief, July 25, 2008, 04:17:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryancd

Quote from: X on September 29, 2010, 12:54:51 PM
I honestly think that this is nothing more than a lucas money grab for the sole purpose of getting Star Wars back into the #1 position of top grossing film.

I was fooled once with the special edition, which could have been release direct to video with no problems as a director's cut. I don't plan on being fooled again.

Just out of curiosity, how exactly does one get fooled into going to see a movie they have seen before?  :blink

Geekyfanboy

I honestly think that this is nothing more than a lucas money grab for the sole purpose of getting Star Wars back into the #1 position of top grossing film.

I was fooled once with the special edition, which could have been release direct to video with no problems as a director's cut. I don't plan on being fooled again.

I don't feel like a fool for seeing the different versions of Star Wars. I enjoyed the originals when they came out, I enjoyed the special edition when they came out and I'll enjoy the 3D versions when they come out.

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: Rico on September 29, 2010, 12:52:54 PM
Oh, I can see why some people might be a bit bothered by this.  You guys know I love "Star Wars" but Lucas has milked this cow of six films dry.  I mean, make some new content.  I think people are just feeling a bit used.  And yes, no one is forcing anyone to see these 3-D versions (oh - I'll definitely go still), but I think it still bothers them to see this constant re-re-re-re-edit-release of the same movies.

But that's my point.. why does it bother people.. why do people care what Lucas does with "HIS" Star Wars series. He created something extremely special and if he wants to milk it for everything it's worth then who are any of us to say otherwise. We didn't create it.. he did, it's his to do with whatever his heart desire.  If you don't like it.. you don't buy it or watch it.

Rico

People will always have an opinion about things, whether it directly impacts them or not.  You should know that especially well Kenny.  And frankly, this constant going back to the well appears greedy.  Sports stars, celebs, CEO's, etc. are always examined by some people based on the money they make, etc.  I guess it's human nature - to a degree.  For me personally the only thing that bothers me is I wish he would use his money and time to work on new stuff.  I don't care if he puts out C-3PO cereal to make more money (oh, wait,...) or stick R2 on toilet tissue (oh, wait,...).  I just want new movies!  ;)

billybob476

Well, he did make new movies. And everyone said he destroyed their childhood. Frankly at this point Lucas is so famous and so successful that anything he does will not live up to what we built up Star Wars to be.

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: billybob476 on September 29, 2010, 01:35:52 PM
Well, he did make new movies. And everyone said he destroyed their childhood. Frankly at this point Lucas is so famous and so successful that anything he does will not live up to what we built up Star Wars to be.

Well I wouldn't say "everyone" says he destroyed their childhood.. I wouldn't say that but I do know what you are saying and yes it's true.. whatever he does not everyone will be happy with it.

billybob476

hehe right, "everyone" is a sweeping generalization. I enjoy the prequels. Let's just say there is a vocal group that claims Lucas destroyed their childhoods. :)

Bryancd

Yeah, they don't come much more overbearing and opinionated than me but I have no issue whatsover what Lucas does with his property and franchise. I will say that this 3D project is a drop in the bucket compared to producing new live TV content, so I don't see this as being the cause for the postponement of the live action show.

X

Quote from: Bryancd on September 29, 2010, 01:03:57 PM

Just out of curiosity, how exactly does one get fooled into going to see a movie they have seen before?  :blink
I felt like a fool because it wasn't worth what I paid for it. To make matters worse, he went back and changed the edits that he edited when it came out on DVD. If it was what he wanted, why edit it again? If it wasn't what he wanted, why rerelease it in the first place.

I think my final straw came with the last batch of DVDs. I still hate that they took out the ewok song, but to have the ghost of Christian Hayden there in the final scene kind of craps on the guy that played Vader in the first place. The whole element of the older redeemed father looking down on his son was pretty much ruined by replacing him with young Anakin.

I think George has repeatedly gone back to the well because he has nothing left to do. He charges of for changes that he made, then changes those changes the first chance he gets. Either he's trying to milk the franchise and ruin it in the process, or he doesn't know what to do, so he is just ruining star wars because he can't find a new franchise. I'm just not going to fall for it again. I'm not going to pay for things several times while he edits his edits.

Blackride

I feel like screaming "its a movie people!". Go to see it if you want. I am not going to go sit it just because I have no real interest in seeing it in 3D. It does not make me any less of a Star Wars fan for it.
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

Bryancd

Quote from: X on September 29, 2010, 04:34:13 PM
I felt like a fool because it wasn't worth what I paid for it.

That's fair enough, but what did you expect? If memory serves, it was advertised as being an improved, cleaned up version of the OT with some added scenes. Isn't that what we got?

X

Quote from: Geekyfanboy on September 29, 2010, 01:11:47 PM
Quote from: Rico on September 29, 2010, 12:52:54 PM
Oh, I can see why some people might be a bit bothered by this.  You guys know I love "Star Wars" but Lucas has milked this cow of six films dry.  I mean, make some new content.  I think people are just feeling a bit used.  And yes, no one is forcing anyone to see these 3-D versions (oh - I'll definitely go still), but I think it still bothers them to see this constant re-re-re-re-edit-release of the same movies.

But that's my point.. why does it bother people.. why do people care what Lucas does with "HIS" Star Wars series. He created something extremely special and if he wants to milk it for everything it's worth then who are any of us to say otherwise. We didn't create it.. he did, it's his to do with whatever his heart desire.  If you don't like it.. you don't buy it or watch it.
Well, I think you answered your question in your question. People are saying that they aren't interested because it bothered them. I'm pretty sure that if it didn't bother them, the might be interested. I also think you're preaching to the choir. I don't think people are saying that they have to see it. I think people are saying they will or won't see it. It's kind of a moot point. I don't think that you need to jump on a praise George bandwagon to be a fan of star wars. I don't think that you need to just grin and smile everytime he decides to change something. I think it's fine to vocalize being annoyed at what he is doing with the franchise. Sure he made it and it's his, but that doesn't mean that we have to like what he's doing with it.

I can tell you that the more he makes these changes, the less inclined I am to share Star Wars with my kids. It makes me feel like he's afraid that the franchise won't stand the test of time, so he's doing everything he can to keep it relevant, but in that process, he's ruining it for some people.

That doesn't mean their opinions are valid and I think that they are more than valid. A classic should stand on it's own. We shouldn't be messing with the special effects. Which is funny because that's what they have done with two of my favorite franchises. Trek and wars.

In the end if you want to re do all the special effect and then decide to bring it into the 3d generation, why not do something daring and actually remake the movie? Why pull your punches and do everything short of remaking it?

Regardless of all of that, Han shot first.

X

Quote from: Bryancd on September 29, 2010, 04:40:46 PM
Quote from: X on September 29, 2010, 04:34:13 PM
I felt like a fool because it wasn't worth what I paid for it.

That's fair enough, but what did you expect? If memory serves, it was advertised as being an improved, cleaned up version of the OT with some added scenes. Isn't that what we got?
I did and I enjoyed it, but when it came out on DVD, those edits were edited yet again and I was left wondering what was the purpose of the movie release. The movie I saw wasn't the movie that I could by. It felt like I was paying to be a beta tester and then he decides to go another route with the DVD. I think I'd feel better if he actually stood behind his product a little more.

I think that if he wanted to highlight new technologies, he could have done so without the need to create multiple versions of the same film so close together.

Bryancd

Quote from: X on September 29, 2010, 04:45:33 PM
It makes me feel like he's afraid that the franchise won't stand the test of time, so he's doing everything he can to keep it relevant, but in that process, he's ruining it for some people.

Regardless of all of that, Han shot first.

That's an interesting question. I honestly believe he is trying to make STAR WARS what was in his head all those years ago as opposed to trying to keep it relevant. But as all things that age, I'm not sure even he knows what he originally intended and is having to sort of recreate his whole thought process. I do think had the $ and technology been available back in the mid '70's and he could have gone wild, the movies would not have been as good as they are.

And yes, Han indeed shot first. That one correction was defiantly for the sensibility of the younger audience of today, or then in 1995, and a mistake.

X

Sometimes, enough is enough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_changes_in_Star_Wars_re-releases#A_New_Hope

edit: posted the wrong link