• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Jonathan Coulton in Toronto!

Started by billybob476, July 10, 2008, 07:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billybob476

Well as many of you know I went to see Jonathan Coulton's first ever show in Canada last night at Lula lounge here in Toronto. For those of you who haven't heard of him, Jonathan Coulton was a software developer for 10 years and decided to leave his geeky life behind to become...a geeky singer/songwriter. You can find his blog at www.jonathancoulton.com.

Anyways, the show was sold out but the venue was still nice and not overly packed. The music was great, the audience very geeky (the guy behind me in line was looking for people on pictochat with his DS). The opening act is a comedic musical duo called Paul and Storm. They were great, below is a video I took of one of thier bits called "Pay Per view Nun Fights"

Then Jonathan Coulton came on, played a great set including Code Monkey, Still Alive (the song from Portal) and my favourite, RE: Your Brains. Here's some video:

Mr. Fancy Pants (he uses this cool drum machine contraption)

RE: Your Brains (I'm on the 'lethargic, shuffling' side of the audience)

Curl

Anyways, it was a super fun show that any geek would have a blast at!

Rico

What a cool show!  Did Jonathan do "Skullcrusher Mountain?"  I think that's my favorite of his.

billybob476

It just went up on youtube this morning!

lol. Maybe I used too many monkeys...

moyer777

I went to his site and listened to a bunch of his music, very fun.  The President's song is good, Pizza night was well done... all of them were very funny!

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

billybob476

If you go on to iTunes there's a podcast called "Thing a Week" which has 52 songs free for download. It was a project he did last year where he released one song every week for the entire year.