• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

School Field Trips

Started by Jen, July 07, 2008, 11:11:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jen

As I was headed home late last night, from visiting my childhood home in South Texas, I passed the ButterKrust Bakery in San Antonio. The aroma of baking bread brought to mind the field trips I took while in elementary school. The ButterKrust Bakery was one of my favorite places to visit. We were each given a slice of hot, fresh, buttery bread and a blue and white checkered ButterKrust pencil and ruler.  :D

We also visited the Coca-cola factory next door. They gave us each an empty can of coke. It was sealed but there was no soda inside. I was intrigued by this for some reason. 

I can remember going to a cole mine too. It was an open pit, not a cavern, and our buses drove right down into it. I can remember the top of the dump truck tires being taller than the entire bus! We each got a piece of cole in a small zip-lock bag. I was happy with my piece of cole.

I loved history and science and I couldn't wait to visit the museums. The Institute of Texan Cultures and the Witte and all the missions in San Antonio, namely the Alamo, were always eagerly anticipated.

I think my absolute favorite place to visit, was the planetarium. I wanted to be an "dinosaur scientist" before I went to the planetarium, after that I wanted to be an astronaut! My great-grandfather used to tell me when I was a little girl, that I would be the first woman in space. Sally Ride beat me to it.   :-\  Oh well, at least I can imagine it.

Where did you go?
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Darth Gaos

I was lucky enough to attend a Jr High school that actually had a planetarium attached to it.  The one field trip that will will always stick out in my mind will be in 8th grade when we bussed up to DC and went to the Smithsonian (well, at leats as many as we could in a day).  It was my first experience with the Nat'l Air and Space Museum and I LOVED it!!
I think it was Socrates who spoke the immortal words:  I drank WHAT?

PepperDude

One thing I do remember is that I and everyone else in the class would get super excited whenever there was a field trip. The biggest reason was because we would get a chance to be out of the classroom.

I've forgotten many of those field trips when I was a little kid. I do remember one in particular though. I was in fifth grade and we went to a small natural woodland park called Whittier Narrows Nature Center, just east of Los Angeles. Here was this little patch of woodland in the middle of a vast urban area. I actually felt like I was far away from the city. I remember a lake, wild pigs (we were told), birds I'd never seen before and lots of trees. Nowadays, I sometimes drive through the park along the 60 freeway and notice just how small it really is. I should go and spend some time there again and maybe it won't feel so small once I'm actually there.

sheldor

We have some great places for field trips in Michigan.  I was with the choir so we usually went to Greenfield Village (kind of a museum) for the Christmas season.  There was also a Vernors plant and a Wonder Bread plant (OMG - that smell was amazing).

Blackride

Well I went to a school that had "SWAT" at our lunch and other events. We did'nt (allowed) get out much needles to say. I am amazed I made it out alive sometimes :)

Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

moyer777

Let's see...

I got to go to Northwest Trek- A wildlife sanctuary, that was cool.  We got to tour Doc Mustards farm in East County.  That was pretty fun, got to milk a cow, sit on a bale of hay and walk around in rubber boots.  :)  Did a few trips to Seattle for various band competitions, but nothing too huge. 

The aquarium was cool.

:)

I think I may have even visited a shake mill.  The ones that go on your roof, not the McDonalds kind.  :)

Yeah, I live in Redneck country.

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Rico

I remember the zoo, the art museum, Greenfield Village and the Henry Ford museum. But I think I had the most fun on a school trip when I went with my older son on a school trip to Washington DC several years ago. I'd never been there and found it very interesting. Plus being on a bus filled with 8th graders for a few days just can't be topped. ;)

billybob476

I bet you knew more about toys then the 8th graders Rico! Kids must love coming to your house.

Rico

Quote from: billybob476 on July 08, 2008, 07:43:39 AM
I bet you knew more about toys then the 8th graders Rico! Kids must love coming to your house.

Funny you should say that but when my sons have friends over they loving showing off my collection.  But many have now gotten used to the "crazy dad" with all the cool stuff.  ;)