• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Crazy weather!

Started by Rico, June 09, 2008, 07:40:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Man - rough start to the summer season.  We got hit the last three evenings pretty bad in Michigan. Lightning struck a tree down my street last night and split it open. That was loud. A large cherry tree in our yard got bent over and it's about 15 feet high. I'm trying to save it and push it back into place. Lots of downed power lines. Nasty weather!   :taz

Geekyfanboy

I've seen it on our local news... let us know if we can help in any way.

Rico

Quote from: StarTrekFanatic5 on June 09, 2008, 07:42:57 AM
I've seen it on our local news... let us know if we can help in any way.

I need a tractor.  Hehe!   ;)

moyer777

Wow, I understand your experience!  I have a few less trees around our place. But we didn't get lightning or anything like that.  Just lots of wind and rain.

If there is anything we can do, let us know Rico and Mark.

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Rico

One lesson I learned --- buy better surge protectors and put them on EVERYTHING!

billybob476

Yeah I have a good one on my computer but my tv and such are attached to some old ones. Not sure if it'd hold up.

Rico

One thing I've been doing is clicking the circuit breaker off that feeds the outlet to my big HDTV, TIVO, DVD players, etc. when bad weather comes in.  When I wired my basement I put a separate circuit in just for that area due to the high power requirements, etc.  Plus I can just turn the breaker off when this type of thing happens.

billybob476

Good idea. I'm thinking of getting a UPS for my computer and moving the good belkin surge protector power strip to my tv.

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Rico on June 09, 2008, 09:10:28 AM
One lesson I learned --- buy better surge protectors and put them on EVERYTHING!

Oh bad Rico, I thought you would have learned that in geek school?  ;)

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Rico

Quote from: Kinglinksr on June 09, 2008, 10:25:15 AM

King

The key word in my statement is "Better."  I have things on surge protectors, even fairly good ones.  But I still had issues with one.  Not all protectors are created equal - which I was well aware of.  Anyway, this is how we learn sometimes.

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Rico on June 09, 2008, 10:28:45 AM
Quote from: Kinglinksr on June 09, 2008, 10:25:15 AM

King

The key word in my statement is "Better."  I have things on surge protectors, even fairly good ones.  But I still had issues with one.  Not all protectors are created equal - which I was well aware of.  Anyway, this is how we learn sometimes.

Oh I see. 

Course, I'm not perfect either.  I really should have better surge protectors on our electronics.  $$ is always an issue though and usually we don't have thunderstorms.  Usually. 

My laptop of course is always protected with a travel/home one.  :)

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Meds

Got to be safe dude. Hope weather gets better for you, i hate to say it considering what i was saying on the podcast the other day but since Saturday we've had a heat wave. English weather for you.