What's everyone reading right now?

Started by Rico, May 30, 2008, 07:50:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celestialteapot

Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on September 16, 2008, 11:15:26 PM
Ok I'm going to have to admit to you excellent people (take pity now) I have never read a Star Trek novel. So I'm eager to go and grab one and delve in but there seem to be so many can anyone suggest where to start. I'm not bothered what era the books are in (TOS, TNG, DS9, VGR etc). Let us know your recommendations.

Two of my favourites are 'Spock's World' by Diane Duane - it's a great little story about how Vulcan is considering leaving the Federation and in true Vulcan fashion they're going to have a big debate with people speaking for and against their leaving. It's sandwiched between stories of key events in Vulcan history, such as the beginnings of logic and the marriage of Sarek & Amanda.

The other one is 'Sarek' by AC Crispen. Hard to explain without giving too much away but basically there's a conspiracy that Sarek has seen developing for pretty much his entire career, things are starting to happen and he needs to secure the evidence to prove that things are actually happening. Not only that but Amanda is dying and he has to make some tough choices - there's some lovely backstory to Amanda & Sarek's relationship as well as some fun stuff involving Kirk's nephew and a 'Keep Earth Human League'.
This question has baffled mankind for all eternity... why don't sheep shrink in the rain?

Jen

Quote from: celestialteapot on September 16, 2008, 11:26:22 PM
Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on September 16, 2008, 11:15:26 PM
Ok I'm going to have to admit to you excellent people (take pity now) I have never read a Star Trek novel. So I'm eager to go and grab one and delve in but there seem to be so many can anyone suggest where to start. I'm not bothered what era the books are in (TOS, TNG, DS9, VGR etc). Let us know your recommendations.

Two of my favourites are 'Spock's World' by Diane Duane - it's a great little story about how Vulcan is considering leaving the Federation and in true Vulcan fashion they're going to have a big debate with people speaking for and against their leaving. It's sandwiched between stories of key events in Vulcan history, such as the beginnings of logic and the marriage of Sarek & Amanda.

The other one is 'Sarek' by AC Crispen. Hard to explain without giving too much away but basically there's a conspiracy that Sarek has seen developing for pretty much his entire career, things are starting to happen and he needs to secure the evidence to prove that things are actually happening. Not only that but Amanda is dying and he has to make some tough choices - there's some lovely backstory to Amanda & Sarek's relationship as well as some fun stuff involving Kirk's nephew and a 'Keep Earth Human League'.

I purchased Sand And Stars recently.... The book is a combination of both of the novels you mentioned. I can't wait to read it, as A.C. Crispen is one of my favorite authors. :)  I figured it would be a good resource for my RPG character, Commander Sevryll.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Meds

Right, sounds good will have a search for the combination book, thanks Jen, thanks Steph.

Chief

I am reading now an Aliens novel: Genocide.

It's fast paced and very fun.

I like most characters so far. Granted, it's not a great book, but it's perfect for reading before bed.

"The Needs Of The Many, Out Weigh The Needs Of The Few, Or The One..."
Mr. Spock

celestialteapot

Just finished 'Ender's Game' really enjoyed it :).

I had to force myself to pick up the book, Orson Scott Card as a human being I have very little respect for but as an author I respect his ability to craft a story and create characters. I'm glad I finally decided to ignore the author and concentrate on the story which sounded very interesting and certainly didn't let me down. I loved the Battleschool, the games and the reveal at the end was quite shocking as that was something I really didn't see coming. Excellent piece of sci-fi, although I have to say Orson Scott Card does seem a little obsessed with young naked boys 0_0... and being a Brit it was hard not to snigger at the unfortunately named 'buggers'.

I'm sticking with sci-fi (what else is there? ;-)) and now reading 'Starship Troopers' by Robert A. Heinlin.
This question has baffled mankind for all eternity... why don't sheep shrink in the rain?

Rico

I finished the book too and moving on to "Speaker for the Dead."

I am curious though what has you so upset with Orson Scott Card as a human being?  I don't know a lot about him but obviously something about him really bothers you.

celestialteapot

Quote from: Rico on September 19, 2008, 03:50:24 PM

I am curious though what has you so upset with Orson Scott Card as a human being?  I don't know a lot about him but obviously something about him really bothers you.

"Laws against homosexual behavior should remain on the books, not to be indiscriminately enforced against anyone who happens to be caught violating them, but to be used when necessary to send a clear message that those who flagrantly violate society's regulation of sexual behavior cannot be permitted to remain as acceptable, equal citizens within that society. The goal of the polity is not to put homosexuals in jail. The goal is to discourage people from engaging in homosexual practices in the first place, and, when they nevertheless proceed in their homosexual behavior, to encourage them to do so discreetly, so as not to shake the confidence of the community in the polity's ability to provide rules for safe, stable, dependable marriage and family relationships." - Orson Scott Card in 'The Hypocrites of Homosexuality' (http://www.nauvoo.com/library/card-hypocrites.html)

He's entitled to his beliefs and opinions and to express them in any way he likes, but they really leave a sour taste in my mouth (particularly as I'm gay), especially his belief that I shouldn't be allowed to be an equal citizen in society.

Blackride

I am huge into history so I mainly read history books. Here is what I am reading now: Battle Cry of Freedom: The Civil War Era. It is a great book for an comprehensive Civil War book.

http://www.amazon.com/Battle-Cry-Freedom-Oxford-History/dp/019516895X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221866564&sr=8-1
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: celestialteapot on September 19, 2008, 04:20:41 PM
Quote from: Rico on September 19, 2008, 03:50:24 PM

"Laws against homosexual behavior should remain on the books, not to be indiscriminately enforced against anyone who happens to be caught violating them, but to be used when necessary to send a clear message that those who flagrantly violate society's regulation of sexual behavior cannot be permitted to remain as acceptable, equal citizens within that society. The goal of the polity is not to put homosexuals in jail. The goal is to discourage people from engaging in homosexual practices in the first place, and, when they nevertheless proceed in their homosexual behavior, to encourage them to do so discreetly, so as not to shake the confidence of the community in the polity's ability to provide rules for safe, stable, dependable marriage and family relationships." - Orson Scott Card in 'The Hypocrites of Homosexuality' (http://www.nauvoo.com/library/card-hypocrites.html)

He's entitled to his beliefs and opinions and to express them in any way he likes, but they really leave a sour taste in my mouth (particularly as I'm gay), especially his belief that I shouldn't be allowed to be an equal citizen in society.

Wow.. what a statement...

And yay!!! another gay person on the boards.. I'm not alone anymore :)

Bryancd

celestialteapot

Quote from: StarTrekFanatic5 on September 19, 2008, 04:26:11 PM
Wow.. what a statement...

And yay!!! another gay person on the boards.. I'm not alone anymore :)

Glad to keep you company :)

Rico

Hmm, interesting comments by him further down in that link too.  It seems most of his opinion is strongly based on his religious beliefs.  He is certainly allowed his opinion on such matters as we are allowed to disagree with him.

Still enjoyed his writing.

celestialteapot

Quote from: Rico on September 19, 2008, 05:29:19 PM
Hmm, interesting comments by him further down in that link too.  It seems most of his opinion is strongly based on his religious beliefs.  He is certainly allowed his opinion on such matters as we are allowed to disagree with him.

Still enjoyed his writing.

I enjoyed his writing as well and I'm fine with him having personal opinions/beliefs and will defend him in his right to express them... I just don't like him. I've just ordered the next two books in the Ender saga, I've started to see that most authors are complete a-holes in real life and it's best just to enjoy their work and not look deep into their personal lives.

Rico

You should meet Harlan Ellison sometime!   ;)

celestialteapot

Quote from: Rico on September 19, 2008, 05:43:22 PM
You should meet Harlan Ellison sometime!   ;)

I don't think he'd find the time between lawsuits ;-)