• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Bad Weekend Trip

Started by Jen, May 26, 2008, 08:11:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

X

I love my technology, but I would love to just be in the woods for a month with just my camping gear, my hunting gear, a few books to read, and something to write on.

As a kid, we live near a deep woods in Texas and my mother pretty much allowed us to spend week there at a time as long as we came home and got ready for school in the morning. We would hunt birds and small game with pellet guns, fish for crawfish and real fish, pick berries and figs, catch turtles, and just exist for a few weeks.

There are few experiences where you have to really fend for yourself and I think that those were some of the greatest times we had. During the summers we could be gone for weeks at a time, but it was great. We didn't have tents, we had to build shelters using the scrap wood that we found or what we could salvage.

The running joke was that we were preparing to survive if a war ever came.

Now, in this day, I don't think it's possible for someone to do that. There are just too many idiot spaced too closely together for someone to be able to really get back to nature without someone else ruining that.

Jen

Thanks Eric. Yes, Big Bend is absolutely beautiful. We've been there before. But it's really not a place we want to camp in the late spring/early summer. Its desert and very hot this time of year. Last time we went, we visited in March and the temperature was pleasant. The pictographs in the caves there are awesome. I'm a bit of a archaeologist wannabe and love looking for places that offer a bit of history with the view. :)

Quote from: wraith1701 on May 26, 2008, 10:31:27 PM
Sorry about how y'all's trip turned out Jen... that really sucks! 

When I was in school, my friends and I used to camp out at Pace Bend park, and always experienced the exact same thing.  If you guys really want to get away from it all, you ought to try out Big Bend.  One of my friends swears that it is the perfect way to depressurize and really enjoy nature. 

Check it out-  http://www.nps.gov/bibe/ :r2d2line
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Jen

None of these are our pictures, but I thought they were beautiful...
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Jen

Quote from: Just X on May 26, 2008, 10:44:03 PM
I love my technology, but I would love to just be in the woods for a month with just my camping gear, my hunting gear, a few books to read, and something to write on.

As a kid, we live near a deep woods in Texas and my mother pretty much allowed us to spend week there at a time as long as we came home and got ready for school in the morning. We would hunt birds and small game with pellet guns, fish for crawfish and real fish, pick berries and figs, catch turtles, and just exist for a few weeks.

There are few experiences where you have to really fend for yourself and I think that those were some of the greatest times we had. During the summers we could be gone for weeks at a time, but it was great. We didn't have tents, we had to build shelters using the scrap wood that we found or what we could salvage.

The running joke was that we were preparing to survive if a war ever came.

Now, in this day, I don't think it's possible for someone to do that. There are just too many idiot spaced too closely together for someone to be able to really get back to nature without someone else ruining that.

You still can... At least where I grew up in South Texas. This area is crowded though. LOTS of people moving her from other states. Namely Ohio and California.
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast